She's Turned....Mean?!

Ebkruer

Recently, my Cham has turned downright MEAN :mad:. She will do EVERYTHING in her power to lunge, bite, hiss, and ambush when we have to get into her cage. We have to do liquid calcium and we try to hand water her to keep her used to people but I'm to the point that opening her cage is a dreadful moment of the day. Feeding her crickets is sometimes enough to cause her to attack at least until she sees food. I just don't know what to do to help the situation.

Is anything new? Have you been giving her liquid calcium for a while or is this new? Is there something that could be scaring her like a cat that started hanging in the room? She might just be a jerk and all you can do is keep hand feeding and hope she likes food more than she hates you.
Nothing new is around. No other animals. No new smells. Nothing. The calcium has been awhile now so that's not new. Maybe your idea of her being a jerk is accurate.

Is she like that outside of her enclosure? My male is cage dominate and doesn't like my hands in HIS space. Once I get him out...he's calm. I let him know he doesn't scare me when he hisses and strikes. I laugh at the little turd.:LOL::ROFLMAO::D;)

Is she like that outside of her enclosure? My male is cage dominate and doesn't like my hands in HIS space. Once I get him out...he's calm. I let him know he doesn't scare me when he hisses and strikes. I laugh at the little turd.:LOL::ROFLMAO::D;)
No, She is okay once she is out. Lets everyone hold her and is super sweet but you just have to remember to wear protection when going in to get her. Face masks and all. Yesterday I gave her liquid calcium by the hissing, she opened to hiss, she got a drop. Maybe teach her to stop. Can they be trained? LOL

No, She is okay once she is out. Lets everyone hold her and is super sweet but you just have to remember to wear protection when going in to get her. Face masks and all. Yesterday I gave her liquid calcium by the hissing, she opened to hiss, she got a drop. Maybe teach her to stop. Can they be trained? LOL
What?

We aren't being mean on purpose. Our chameleon is recovering from MBD. The liquid calcium is a daily thing from the vet. Please don't think we are actually harming her.
No, I’m talking about how you worded her handling, making it seem like tons of people handle her daily, stressing her out, not about the liquid calcium

No, I’m talking about how you worded her handling, making it seem like tons of people handle her daily, stressing her out, not about the liquid calcium
I know that’s not what you meant, but it caught me off guard, sorry

I know that’s not what you meant, but it caught me off guard, sorry
No. Its 2 people me and my boyfriend that interact with her. We have kids but they don't like her, not furry. So we will normally take her out and give her the medication and a treat when it's over but the past couple weeks have just become impossible. Maybe it is cage dominance. I know they will get protective if happy with their environment. Just seemed really sudden.

Why do you need a Face mask?

Since you have been giving her the liquid calcium for a bit now I’m assuming you are aware that they can dry drown if the calcium isn’t delivered directly to the back of her mouth. Trying to time her hiss to deliver a drop to a moving target would make me nervous...

Why do you need a Face mask?

Since you have been giving her the liquid calcium for a bit now I’m assuming you are aware that they can dry drown if the calcium isn’t delivered directly to the back of her mouth. Trying to time her hiss to deliver a drop to a moving target would make me nervous...
Just sarcasm. No face mask is needed. Yes. I know about the placement of drops. We are taking her back to the vet this week to see if she can come off of the calcium and try to resume normal supplementation.

Whenever Louie has to take meds...I always take advantage of the hiss. Makes medicating much easier. I have syringe ready before I open door. :eek:

I might try this! I'm always afraid to stress my male veiled too much when I get him out of the cage, so when he flares up and takes a shot at me, I usually back off. But I think he likes bossing me around so I might have to try again sometime.

Back
Top Bottom