Shes seems a little better but I need some help...

ktaylor89

Ive posted about Xera before but just a quick refresher...

My brother got her from a friend of his who had her housed with a male (who died) for about a year. My brother had her for about 3 days before I took her to "babysit" while him and his girlfriend went on vacation. While on that vacation my brother and his gf got into a bad accident and sadly his gf didnt make it. My brother didnt want Xera back so Ive had her since August. She was great the first month but one day was very sluggish and wont open her eyes. Her eyes sunk in and she stopped eating. I changed her UVB bulb from a coil to a Repti Sun 5.0 but 90% of the time (as long as its warm) I keep her outside in the sun (I live in FL.) I spray her 2x a day with the hose for about 30 min each time and also have a dripper on her. Her eyes are no longer sunk in and she will occasionally open them (mainly when she walks). I have been force feeding her crickets, wax worms (only 2x a week), Baby food (chicken, apples and bananas) mixed with calcium and water and syringe feeding her water. She seems really skinny, stays bright green and walks just fine but wont open her eyes. I just dont know what else to try... Do I get some Fluckers Repti Boost? I plan on getting Vit A tablets tomorrow and giving her 1 drop for the month (correct me if Im wrong) and some different worms at the pet store. Please help!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. Told she is over 2 years but she is SUPER small!!
  • Handling - Just to feed her so once a day. I HAVE to force feed her, she wont open her eyes to eat.
  • Feeding - Crickets, wax worms, baby food. She ate 4 wax worms, a tiny bit of baby food and h20 just now from a syringe. Once a day. I try to do it in the mornings mostly. I am giving them apples, bananas, potatoes and baby food.
  • Supplements - Calcium with D3 once every other week, Calcium without D3 every feeding (also add it to the baby food in the syringe. Also was told to get Vit A palmitate gel tabs and add ONE small drop to ONE feeder once a month which I was going to do tomorrow.
  • Watering - I hand spray them while they are inside for 5 min 3x a day. I spray them with the mister from the hose for 30 min 2x a day while outside (which has been mostly every day lately.) She definitely drinks a lot.
  • Fecal Description - Its been dark brown with white and no, hasnt been tested for parasites yet.
  • History - She was housed with a male so I provided a lay box but she NEVER showed any interest in it. Im also not positive that I set it up right so any advice on that would be awesome. I dont think she has eggs though because she is extremely skinny and I see no signs of bulges from eggs. I am, however, far from an expert which is why I am here and could be totally wrong.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze (The medium sized one?) About 3 feet high
  • Lighting - Just an ordinary 60 watt house bulb placed above her cage for 12 hours each day
  • Temperature - About 73 in the coolest and 80 in the basking spot
  • Humidity - I live in Florida so its been pretty humid everyday and warm. I also mist 2x a day for 30 min each and she has a dripper
  • Plants - She has a large ficus
  • Placement - When inside there is a fan but I try to keep it on low. Not a high traffic area and she is on a table in front of a window.
  • Location - Florida

Current Problem - She doesnt seem SUPER weak but is a little bit. She stays green and walks fine but she wont open her eyes causing her to not eat. I force feed her (suggestions on mixtures to feed her would be great) and she will eat but I want to know what else I can do to help her...

20151218_223808.jpg 20151218_223835.jpg 20151218_223848.jpg

She is quite thin. Does/has she ever catch/caught wild insects outside?
Has she been tested for parasites?
What live plants are in her cage?

Chicken babyfood should have prEformed vitamin A in it so I don't know if she would need more.
Bananas I think are high in phosphorous...so go easy on them. You can use squash, sweet potatoes, berries, melon, pears. If you can get captive raised hornworms, silk worms, superworms they can be good feeders too. Although crickets are easy to gutload. You can use a wide range of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato to feed/gutload the insects.

Back
Top Bottom