She's in laying tank...what now?

StickyPad

Okay, so I put my 8 month old veiled female chameleon (stickypad) in her laying tank since she has been trying to dig the bottom of her normal tank. there is laying boxes in her normal tank but they weren't really big enough and she didn't tank an interest in them. How long do I leave her in the tank? she is just perched by a leaf thing i put in for decoration. can she be left in there over night? need all the help I can get! x:eek::confused:

You can leave her there until the job is done :) cover the tank and leave her alone, it could be hours or days! I only peeked in on my laying female first thing in the morning when the lights went on, no feeding or misting, just filled on dripper at the same time as peeking!

best thing to do is go to walmart or target buy one of those little cameras you buy for your car that helps you reverse. and glue it to the top of lid of the laying bin. and keep the tv on and it recording. when she lays you will know the job is done and where all the eggs are at. When I find another Cham A Red Bar im gunna start breeding myself I cant wait !!!!!!! :D

But what if she isn't ready? She has met him once, has stopped eating but drinks constantly. When I put her in the tank she just looks bewildered! Is this normal? Do I just leave her in there? Also what is the maximum time I can leave her in there if she doesn't lay? X

okay, she dug in one corner, but now she's kind of clawing the windows to get out...should I just leave her? x:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

As long as the dirt is moist and deep enough for good tunnel making, just leave her in there.

Some girls take a few days or longer to lay. They may dig a few test holes...try to escape the bin and do everything possible to worry and frustrate you.

Dont disturb her too much but try to check on her with out her seeing you. Warning signs of having trouble would be sunken eyes or not moving at all ..sleeping on the ground. These would be a reason for a vet visit for possible egg binding issues.

Where you able to see of feel the eggs inner belly?

the tank has about 20cm of wet play sand. I let her come out after 15 minutes of her clawing to get out...I will leave her today. how deep should the sand be? also, should I put a stick in for her to sleep on so she isnt on the floor? thanks for all the advice, dez! I can occasionally see some bumps on her side...

the tank has about 20cm of wet play sand. I let her come out after 15 minutes of her clawing to get out...I will leave her today. how deep should the sand be? also, should I put a stick in for her to sleep on so she isnt on the floor? thanks for all the advice, dez! I can occasionally see some bumps on her side...
At least 12" deep. Sand should be damp but not wet. A stick and/or plant is not a bad idea :)

Yes put a stick in there so she can climb up. Also if you have a plant to put in there that will make her feel safer even if it is just a pothos vine. She may feel like she can hide her tunnel behind the leaves.

Also it will give her something to drink off of when she is misted.

thanks for the help! she is sat in the sand but she isnt digging....how do I encourage her?

Just let her do her thing. She has to be ready. You can start a hole for her if you want but chances are she won't use your hole and want to make her own... at least my girls never do

but she won't dig! i'm worried about her! she's just sat on her stick, I dug a shallow ditch/hole to encourage her and covered the tank with a big towel, but she isn't digging....HELP

these are some pictures I just took when I sprayed the tank...does she look like she has eggs, because she isn't laying or digging...

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 129
but she won't dig! i'm worried about her! she's just sat on her stick, I dug a shallow ditch/hole to encourage her and covered the tank with a big towel, but she isn't digging....HELP

She looks like she has eggs..she is a fatty. How deep is that sand? It looks like it could be a little deeper. You want at least 8 inches deep...12 is better but 8
ill work. Most girls dig all the way to the bottom.

I had a female full of eggs. I put her in the laying bucket and it took her about two more weeks before she started to dig! She will dig when she feel it is time. Like I said they seem to do everything possible to worry and frustrate you.

I have two girls in laying g buckets now and I wish they would hurry up and lay... but you need wait. It is up to her.

If things are going wrong you will see signs like sleeping in the day or having her eyes sunken in. Then you need a vets help. Also continue to offer her food while she is in there. Some girls still eat while others do not.

Okay...I managed to get her to eat 1 cricket and 1 and a half grapes! So should I leave her in there until she digs? What if its weeks? It gets frustratin and exciting ! This is her first batch, I've only had her for 5 months and she is my first! Soo will keep you updated. The sand is about 15-20 cm deap. Is there any way I could encourage her to dig?

Okay...I managed to get her to eat 1 cricket and 1 and a half grapes! So should I leave her in there until she digs? What if its weeks? It gets frustratin and exciting ! This is her first batch, I've only had her for 5 months and she is my first! Soo will keep you updated. The sand is about 15-20 cm deap. Is there any way I could encourage her to dig?

First, you can forget about it for a bit. Calm down :). You can't encourage her to dig except by the methods mentioned. It does get very frustrating and exciting. My current girl took a week to lay from when she started digging. Enjoy the paranoia - if it gets too much, call the vet :D

Aha, thanks! So how long should I leave her if she doesn't dig?

You can leave her all day and night. If nothing is going on tomorrow morning then I reckon you can put her back home for a day. I imagine she will get the job done within the next week if she has near total privacy.

Back
Top Bottom