shes digging!!!

hey!

just thought id give a quick update.....

This morning i went in to see her and she is in the sand digging away!!! ive taken the day off work to keep an eye on her...... well i cant even see her now apart from the tip of her tail..... she keeps poping up now and then to have a look about... ive covered her cage with a sheet so she cant see me peeking..... i can hear her scratching away...... fingers crossed it doesnt take her ages!!

:D

hey!

just thought id give a quick update.....

This morning i went in to see her and she is in the sand digging away!!! ive taken the day off work to keep an eye on her...... well i cant even see her now apart from the tip of her tail..... she keeps poping up now and then to have a look about... ive covered her cage with a sheet so she cant see me peeking..... i can hear her scratching away...... fingers crossed it doesnt take her ages!!

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee come on girl...push push push :D

She may well be particular about covering them. Doris refused to come out, quite hiisie fittie, until she was happy she had covered to her satisfaction....and some. Quite often redesigning the landscape :D

She gave me a clear clue when she had finished. Climbed her branch and sat there -she didn't do that at all during the process. And she spent a good 12 hours re modelling the laying bin :D

Hey Clair :)

I just had another lil peek and shes is now up on her basking spot... surley she couldnt have finished that quick?? i dont want her to see me as im pretty sure she hasnt covered up the hole and its hard to tell wheher shes thinner. Its really hard to see her with all the plants and the sheet in the way. i duno what to do...... ill leave her be for a bit i think......

is it normal for them to digg a deep hole and then come out without laying?

Hey Clair :)

I just had another lil peek and shes is now up on her basking spot... surley she couldnt have finished that quick?? i dont want her to see me as im pretty sure she hasnt covered up the hole and its hard to tell wheher shes thinner. Its really hard to see her with all the plants and the sheet in the way. i duno what to do...... ill leave her be for a bit i think......

is it normal for them to digg a deep hole and then come out without laying?

Hiya

It's so hard to judge. Dori's first lay she was in, laid and out in no time. Happy with first tunnel, get in, spat them out and covered. Second lay was a Cham's war and pigging peace..yawwwwwwnnnnnnnn fore v e r !
Yes they can come up and go back down again, sometimes lots, whether to get some heat or wotnot.
BUT If the hole isn't covered then she either hasn't laid yet or has and is taking a heat break before going back down but in either case if you can see the open tunnel then that girlie aint done yet so stay away ;)! :

thanks so much for a quick reply clair!!! you are my saviour!! :D

LOL no I'm not I'm a paranoid exhausted mother still in labour. Got the babies one side of me and the incubator the other :(....3 little'ns are scrapping for top rung of their multi gym :D and I have 3 climbing out of eggs - I'm not going anywhere lol

15 out now and it's a bloomin' riot in their bin lol

oh really? i had no idea you were having baby chams!!! - congrats!

wow 15...... and im stressed with just one! i dont know how you are doing it!!

do you have any pics of them yet? i would love to see.....

what are your plans for all of them?

hope it all goes ok (which im sure it will) ;)

pics were brilliant Clair!!!

Well she is back in the hole! :D

one last question lol - sorry.... should i be mistin her still? as i didnt mist her today because she was digging first thing this morning and i didnt want to distrub her. she had a big drink yest from the dropper which i gave her and she has her dripper going in the cage at all times.....

pics were brilliant Clair!!!

Well she is back in the hole! :D

one last question lol - sorry.... should i be mistin her still? as i didnt mist her today because she was digging first thing this morning and i didnt want to distrub her. she had a big drink yest from the dropper which i gave her and she has her dripper going in the cage at all times.....

Hi sorry....three pots of bloomin' locusts babies just hatched and were EVERYWHERE :mad:

As she has a dripper going, personally I wouldn't unless she goes up the top, a quick squirt then would be fine.....else the more interuptions she gets, the more tunnels she may feel she has to dig.:(

I was always concerned that because it was into the evening and she still may stay in tunnel overnight ( which she did ish ) she would be cold by misting and then sit in a damp tunnel all night.

As I say...she has her dripper so has access to a drink if she needs it....

That's just my opinion and I bow to the wisdom of others......

Update: Day 2 - more digging :)

Ok so yest she dug most of the day and about 60 mins before the light went off she came out the tunnel and sat on her basking spot. Shes done this a few times through the day.... when she was up on her basking spot at the end of the day I gave her a good spay and a big big drink from the syringe dropper. ive never seen her drink so much. she also eat one massive butterworm dusted with calcium..... :)

This morning i went in her room and she was up on the basking spot... she had another drink from the dropper and i left a few butterworms in a dish for her for today as im back at work..... just before i left i checked on her and she was back in that hole digging like a champ :D

so im very happy that i could offer her water and food and it hasnt scared her off going back to dig..... :)

Hey Clair..... I hope you managed to find all the escaping locust :D:D

Phew...day 2 eh ? :D Hopefuly she'll sort it today. With you at work she has total solitude so hopefully will crack on with it.

When you say she had a big big drink from the syringe dropper....do you mean like the syringes that mum's give medicine to kids with ? Insomuch as you administer or the dropper in her viv that she is in control of what she takes ? If the first one, just be a bit cautious that she doesn't get to much too quick. There is potential for her to aspirate, which can kill.

Hi Clair,

Yes thats right I ment like the syringes that mum's give medicine to kids with.

So drinking too quick can cause her to take too much air in? Ok thanks I will be careful of that....

thanks Clair.....

ok i just went home for lunch as shes back on her basking spot and the hole has been covered up!!!

she stills looks a little fat but i think she was a little overweight anyway.... i sprayed her and she had a drink off the leaves.... i offered her food but she wasnt interested so left some butter worms in there for her.

I didnt have time to check the sand for the eggs and i didnt want to disturb her incase she needs to lay more?

has this ever happen where they cover up the hole but still have eggs inside them? if she does not do any more diggin i might take her to the vet for an xray?

what do you think? thanks yet again....

thanks Clair.....

ok i just went home for lunch as shes back on her basking spot and the hole has been covered up!!!

she stills looks a little fat but i think she was a little overweight anyway.... i sprayed her and she had a drink off the leaves.... i offered her food but she wasnt interested so left some butter worms in there for her.

I didnt have time to check the sand for the eggs and i didnt want to disturb her incase she needs to lay more?

has this ever happen where they cover up the hole but still have eggs inside them? if she does not do any more diggin i might take her to the vet for an xray?

what do you think? thanks yet again....

You are doing right by not digging the eggs up just yet - and don't worry for them, in the wild they live underground for months so a few hours is fine ;) If she hasn't finished I doubt she would be best pleased with you routing around her bin

Well the options are
1. She didn't like that hole and plans to start again, although she wouldn't necesarily fill an unwanted hole :confused:
2. She has not completed her lay, but not going to dig again
3. She has not completed her lay, but IS going to dig again
4. She has completed her laying and is just a lardy arse :D

Will she let you handle her? If so can you very gently palpate her tummy - see if you can feel eggs.

Somehow seeing if she goes down to mooch about / dig again
The risk is if she is retaining a few that are left......

When you get home try feeling her tummy if you can, but only if she looks settled on her basking spot and there has been no more apparent digging down this afternoon. If there is, cover and leave again.

What we don't want are retained eggs so need to keep heads up on this

Some females also dig a hole, act as they laid them, fill it in and return to the branches...so IMHO its important to dig them up soon. If you're concerned about her seeing you digging, replace that bin with another one so she doesn't notice that anything is different...and dig the eggs up.

Some females also dig a hole, act as they laid them, fill it in and return to the branches...so IMHO its important to dig them up soon. If you're concerned about her seeing you digging, replace that bin with another one so she doesn't notice that anything is different...and dig the eggs up.

:eek: kinyonga...( and ADS ) an option I didn't think off. I stand corrected ....sorry

< note to self..open your mind and look at the whole picture not just one direction > :eek:

More proof that there's no price on experience !

Hey again!!

I asked my mum to pop round and have a look at her as im at work and she is back digging again in another spot!

The eggs will be unfertile so im not worried about them....

i will check her when i get home and give another update..... i feel like such a burden keep asking questions but i do really appreciate all the advice ive been given... i duno what I would do without this forum :)

Evening Update: :D:D

Ok so i got home from work and she has dug another tunnel bascially the oppersite side of the first tunnel..... she was up on her basking spot covered in sand! so i picked her up (no hissing or puffing up which is how she normally is) and i had a little feel and you can deff see and feel eggs inside her still but she has deffinatly laid some because she does look alot thinner..... (i really should have weighed her which i am definatly going to start doing) i put her in the sink in warm water and washed all the sand off her :) she had another little drink and she eat one locust which i dusted with plain calcium..... my only concern is as she was covered in sand when i washed her she was drinking and im pretty sure she could have swallowed a little sand...

has anyone ever experienced this where they dig a second tunnel? As she has dug a second tunnel i am deffinatly not gonna look for the first eggs as i dont want to disturb the second tunnel......

im only 29 and i feel as if im going bald and grey already due to the stress!!!! but shes worth it without a doubt.....

how you guys breed them is beyond me!! you have my upmost respect!! :D

no doubt there will be another update tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom