Sherberts free range

Sherbertsmysunshine

Chameleon Enthusiast
I finally got Sherberts free range together. it still needs some more branches and stuff. but he seems to be enjoying it. I gave him a hornworm since today is treat day. I don't leave him on it long, since he needs his special light, and the window doesn't help that much. is there anything I should add?

I also got Sherbert a vet! I'm taking him Tuesday for a little checkup. I feel bad I haven't taken him to the vet or got a fecal test. but I'm changing that now. I had a chameleon before I found the forum, took him to a vet because of an eye issue, and the vet did not give the right advice. (Told me to feed him mealworms, didn't mention anything else) but in another thread elizaann2 had a list of exotic vets. I found one near me, so I called and scheduled. I built a cage to bring him in, its bigger than it looks. anyway, thank you for reading this. let me know if I can change anything :)

Attachments

• 1696090346792.JPEG
    1696090346792.JPEG
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 1696090346873.JPEG
    1696090346873.JPEG
    135.6 KB · Views: 51
I finally got Sherberts free range together. it still needs some more branches and stuff. but he seems to be enjoying it. I gave him a hornworm since today is treat day. I don't leave him on it long, since he needs his special light, and the window doesn't help that much. is there anything I should add?

I also got Sherbert a vet! I'm taking him Tuesday for a little checkup. I feel bad I haven't taken him to the vet or got a fecal test. but I'm changing that now. I had a chameleon before I found the forum, took him to a vet because of an eye issue, and the vet did not give the right advice. (Told me to feed him mealworms, didn't mention anything else) but in another thread elizaann2 had a list of exotic vets. I found one near me, so I called and scheduled. I built a cage to bring him in, its bigger than it looks. anyway, thank you for reading this. let me know if I can change anything :)
Hey! That super exciting I’ve been working more and more on my free range area as well about to add lighting to it. If that last pic is of the transport I would advise against it because it’s so open for your little baby to see out and that would be stressful for them. Most people just use a box of some sort with a couple branches secures inside. Good luck at your vet visit! I would just ask lots of questions and if they don’t seem to know what they’re doing just keep searching, that’s what I did ☺️

Hey! That super exciting I’ve been working more and more on my free range area as well about to add lighting to it. If that last pic is of the transport I would advise against it because it’s so open for your little baby to see out and that would be stressful for them. Most people just use a box of some sort with a couple branches secures inside. Good luck at your vet visit! I would just ask lots of questions and if they don’t seem to know what they’re doing just keep searching, that’s what I did ☺️
thank you! I'll get something else to put him in. they were super helpful on the phone. so hopefully they will be good.

Hi. I just wanted to share some of the experiences I’ve had with vets. Basically, none of them know chameleon husbandry as well as we do, but they do know the medical stuff. My favorite vet and the one who is most knowledgeable and experienced has told me to use a 10.0 or 12% uvb. The other vet who is experienced with chams and the office staff all insisted that I soak my cham in a closed tub of warm water that is sitting on a heating pad to keep it warm to help with hydration. One vet just looked at my cham and said she looked fine and expressed having no idea that x rays would show if she had eggs. (Never did like that particular vet when she saw my dog). Anyhow, my point is that none are going to be perfect. If they say something that you know isn’t right (like soaking etc), just nod, smile and give them a little leeway for not being perfectly schooled in current chameleon husbandry. If you run into the last type of vet, just run.

Hi. I just wanted to share some of the experiences I’ve had with vets. Basically, none of them know chameleon husbandry as well as we do, but they do know the medical stuff. My favorite vet and the one who is most knowledgeable and experienced has told me to use a 10.0 or 12% uvb. The other vet who is experienced with chams and the office staff all insisted that I soak my cham in a closed tub of warm water that is sitting on a heating pad to keep it warm to help with hydration. One vet just looked at my cham and said she looked fine and expressed having no idea that x rays would show if she had eggs. (Never did like that particular vet when she saw my dog). Anyhow, my point is that none are going to be perfect. If they say something that you know isn’t right (like soaking etc), just nod, smile and give them a little leeway for not being perfectly schooled in current chameleon husbandry. If you run into the last type of vet, just run.
thank you for the information. this vet is closer as well. so as long as most of it is good, I will probably go with them.

I also lifted his enclosure yesterday. it was so heavy the only thing that could hold it was this wood. its over six feet now. it doesn't look wide in the picture but it's over two feet wide.

his wondering Jew died due to gnats, so I'm getting another plant once those are under control again :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1696175700119.JPEG
    1696175700119.JPEG
    102.4 KB · Views: 46
will this work? it's a box from when we got our kitten, I wiped it down so there's no hair and added some fake branches. and plant

Attachments

• processed (1).jpeg
    processed (1).jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 38
☺️Hi. I just wanted to share some of the experiences I’ve had with vets. Basically, none of them know chameleon husbandry as well as we do, but they do know the medical stuff. My favorite vet and the one who is most knowledgeable and experienced has told me to use a 10.0 or 12% uvb. The other vet who is experienced with chams and the office staff all insisted that I soak my cham in a closed tub of warm water that is sitting on a heating pad to keep it warm to help with hydration. One vet just looked at my cham and said she looked fine and expressed having no idea that x rays would show if she had eggs. (Never did like that particular vet when she saw my dog). Anyhow, my point is that none are going to be perfect. If they say something that you know isn’t right (like soaking etc), just nod, smile and give them a little leeway for not being perfectly schooled in current chameleon husbandry. If you run into the last type of vet, just run.
We got back a couple hours ago. Sherbet did not like it, but the vet was really good. I was surprised he didn't tell me to soak the stuck shed. He was really nice, and i will drop of fecal tests every once in awhile. Overall im happy with them 😊

Back
Top Bottom