Shedding

Gf33

While my chameleon is going through shedding, is it okay to still mist them? I wasn’t sure if the wetness would make it harder for them to shed.

While my chameleon is going through shedding, is it okay to still mist them? I wasn’t sure if the wetness would make it harder for them to shed.
You never mist a chameleon directly, mist the foliage around the chameleon. Misting should be done on a set schedule.

Don’t directly spray him ever, and over misting can make sheds harder since it’s like their shed is sticking to them instead of lifting off etc...So just mist how you normally would

Misting them depends on which schedule you follow. If you are following the naturalistic hydration schedule--then don't mist them during the day (the "drying-out" period). It is fine to mist your chameleon when you are getting the humidity up to the correct night time humidity levels.

If you follow the daytime (unnaturalistic) hydration schedule where you mist during the day. I would avoid misting him directly during this time, or any time really. They will run away from the mist. Chameleons, unlike most snakes, are actually dry shedders so make sure to give them time to dry off completely while shedding to make the process go by faster. Many people here aim for the naturalistic hydration model which allows for proper shedding schedules.

Misting them while shedding tends to make the shedding skin stick to the cham--making the whole ordeal much more difficult than it has to be.

Just let them be during this period. They don't need anything special to help them shed.

It can. I don't disagree with anything so far said.

IMO, this is actually a good argument for automated misting. They learn when it's going to "rain," and act accordingly—hiding, drinking, just hanging, whatever. They also learn where the "rain" doesn't/won't hit them. Smart little buggers. ;)

I hand mist my chameleon every morning and night and a lot of times i will mist her face a little so she licks the water off her lips. Maybe i should stop doing that though, i didn’t know they weren’t supposed to be misted directly.

We all make mistakes. If we didn't, there would be very little on this forum.

Chameleons generally drink by licking droplets off of leaves.
There's nothing wrong with hand misting per se; it's an opportunity to look things over and keep an eye on the enclosure in general, and in addition to avoiding misting the cham, you can avoid misting his/her bugs. ;) But it would be best if you could keep it on a regular schedule. :)

Chams need to be misted so they can clean their eyes. For shedding, don’t over or under mist or stray from the usual routine, keep everything the same as you normally do, and it’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Chams need to be misted so they can clean their eyes. For shedding, don’t over or under mist or stray from the usual routine, keep everything the same as you normally do, and it’ll be fine.
Is this true? I thought that was one of the reasons why Bill Strand turned to the naturalistic hydration schedule. I'll try to find the podcast, but I'm pretty sure he said that he regrets being a big proponent of misting chams during the day to clean their eyes and that it wasn't necessary. I'll look into this more. I won't leave this thought open-ended.

Is this true? I thought that was one of the reasons why Bill Strand turned to the naturalistic hydration schedule. I'll try to find the podcast, but I'm pretty sure he said that he regrets being a big proponent of misting chams during the day to clean their eyes and that it wasn't necessary. I'll look into this more. I won't leave this thought open-ended.
My chams were always lightly and gently misted from afar (from automated mistings) and cleaned their eyes out. Bill Strand doesn’t shower his chams anymore (I never did), where they were forced to wash out their eyes, or mist them during the day anymore. Fogging at night rehydrates chams, it doesn’t clean their eyes out because their eyes are closed while sleeping. My chams would wash their eyes before their basking light came on in their morning misting session when the cage was still cool. Obviously getting directly pelted by a hand or automated mister up close is uncomfortable for them, but from far enough away, where it is minimum water pressure on them, was how my chams cleaned their eyes out. I didn’t mist my chams (in their later years once this info was out) during the day, but before my basking lights came on and a while after they went off, when my chams were up and the cage was cool. Everone does things differently and there are multiple correct ways, but I believe chams should at least have the chance to wash their eyes out at least every once in while.

My chams were always lightly and gently misted from afar (from automated mistings) and cleaned their eyes out. Bill Strand doesn’t shower his chams anymore (I never did), where they were forced to wash out their eyes, or mist them during the day anymore. Fogging at night rehydrates chams, it doesn’t clean their eyes out because their eyes are closed while sleeping. My chams would wash their eyes before their basking light came on in their morning misting session when the cage was still cool. Obviously getting directly pelted by a hand or automated mister up close is uncomfortable for them, but from far enough away, where it is minimum water pressure on them, was how my chams cleaned their eyes out. I didn’t mist my chams (in their later years once this info was out) during the day, but before my basking lights came on and a while after they went off, when my chams were up and the cage was cool. Everone does things differently and there are multiple correct ways, but I believe chams should at least have the chance to wash their eyes out at least every once in while.
Well said. I actually do the same thing so he has the option to drink and clean his eyes, but he never does. I think the keyword that you mention is "chance" or choice.

I also agree with you that there are many different ways to keep a cham healthy.

Back
Top Bottom