Shedding

Loubell01

My panther chameleon hasnt had a shed in 3 months should i be worried? We have had him since he was 16 months old at which stage he was shedding roughly every 4 weeks he also used to eat lots of crickets, hoppers etc but in the 7 months weve had him weve seen a dramatic change in his diet, eating a lot less and wont eat a single cricket or hopper. He will take silkworms, waxworms, mealworms etc i still have to give him water as we have never seen him drink for himself so no change there but he just seems different (he always wanted to come out of his viv but dosnt seem as bothered anymore ( which again is fine as its always on his terms anyway) but im just wondering why the change could it just be as he has got older ?
His last shed was in august and he dosnt look like hes ready to shed anytime soon how long should i wait before being worried?

They do slow down their shedding as they get older. They won’t do the explosive full body shed but rather shed in sections.

can you fill out the help form so we can see if there might be something else going on that might be affecting him.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I agree they definitely slow down a lot at this age but 3 months is a bit excessive in my opinion. Please provide as much detail as possible in the supplement and gutload sections of your form.

So my guy chilli is 2 years old now, we have had him since he was 18 months old he is a red bar ambilobe pather and he came from a retile centre.
He is in an exo terra vivarium (glass) with artificial Plants and an electric timed mister which is set to go off around 3 times a day. The humidity is around 50-60 during the day and rises to around 80-90 at night.
Sunray light and heatlamp with temps at basking at 85-90 and varing at diffrent spots within the viv and temp drops no lower than 60 during the night.
We are in the uk so now we are in winter we have insulated the outside of the viv to keep the heat as we know glass loses heat.
Chilli used to eat around 6-12 crickets and a few hoppers a day after waking and a few waxworms as a treat dusted with nutrobal calcium (D3 Every couple weeks) and gut loaded with fuits and veg, oats etc but as he has got older he has become vert fussy and eating a lot less (which im Aware adults do) but he wont take a single cricket anymore a very rarely hoppers, he dosnt eat every day but will take sikworms, waxworms mealworms. We have never seen him drink for himself since having him and give him Water through a pipette whilst he is distracted whilst eating when he has a poop his urate usually looks good nice and white and i had his poop checked for parasites roughly about 3 months ago which was normal. He used to shed around every 4 weeks aprox but hia last shed was 28th august and last poop was 13th Nov.

Attachments

• 15751935677234808826674700425826.jpg
    15751935677234808826674700425826.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 15751936462262436667251704247904.jpg
    15751936462262436667251704247904.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 15751936779393466825657861364424.jpg
    15751936779393466825657861364424.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom