Shedding question

mlee5457

I saw the new theme for the photo contest and made me wonder is there a certain time of year that chams are supposed to shed?.....like now? As some of you may have read in other posts i am a first time cham owner and ive had my male panther for almost 4 weeks and really havent thought much of shedding untill i saw this months theme! Yesterday he seemed like he stayed on the same branch most of the day and started making me worry, then today after i saw the theme for the photo contest i got to looking at mine to see and i noticed he looks kinda thin and has some crazy wrinkles going on around his back. and is very dark colored! He is eating fine 10-15 crix a day plus I put about 10 flightless fruit flies in and they are dissapearing unless they are getting out, His eyes arent sunk in looks to be hydrated...he gets a mist 3 times a day plus a dripper. Is this a common thing for him if he is about to shed?

Panther chams should shed atleast once a month when they are babys, I sure hope yours is, they are eating and shedding machines when they are little. My panther is right around 6 months old and still sheds about once a month.

Fill this out so we can get a general idea on what your working with :)

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?...Sambava Panther,Male, 3 1/2 mo old, i have had him 3 weeks

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?once a day 5 min or less

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?crickets and flightless fruitflies, 10-15 crix a day, 10 or so fruitflies, gutload with cricket crack fromm swiss it has tons of great stuff in it, sweet potato, carrot, oranges,sometimes dog a little dog food

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? my breeder gave me this schedule for now while he is baby.. monday-heptivite, tues-rep-cal with d3,weds-mineral0,thurs-herptivite,fri-repcal,sat-mineral0,sun-nothing

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?mist 3 times a day at least 2 minutes, dripper that drips every 6 or 7 seconds, never ever see him drink, he runs for cover during mist, i have seen him stick his tongue to branches while walking sometimes

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? they are darkish brown i guess with white tip or white on one end, never tested
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I just got him 3 weeks or so ago
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?all screen 12wx24lx24h
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?reptisun 5.0 and basking light stays arounf 93 6 inches from light

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? temp at night usually 68-70

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?humidity 50-60
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ficus benjamin and shiffela,,,or however u spell it :)

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?cage is on counter top about 4 feet up
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Alabama

sorry i left this out

Everything sounds good :p The basking temp you said is around 93? That is a little high for a baby panther....try raising the light and getting the temp around 86ish until he gets older atleast

When you spray him are you using hot, warm, or cold water? I usually use pretty hot water since when you spray out of a bottle it cools down ALOT.

Mine sometimes will run away when im spraying...but alot of the time if its hot water he will just sit there and starts licking his lips :D

hope some of those tips work out!

Goodluck

yeah the first few times mine shed it kinda worried me, but i knew they were hydrated. if in doubt check their fecal if the urate is white your doing good

Thanks guys! I wonder since I've had him a little over 3 weeks should I be worried he hasn't shed? What would it mean if he doesn't? And is the being stationary like he was yesterday and dark color and wrinkley looking skin normal or indicate possible shedding?

Well it looks like I missed it! :( just got home and there is skin all in there and he looks real good!! :) I guess I should have waited a day before my post! Thanks for all the help!

Well it looks like I missed it! :( just got home and there is skin all in there and he looks real good!! :) I guess I should have waited a day before my post! Thanks for all the help!
Hey better to be safe than sorry! Too bad you missed it, it's nice how they sometimes shed all at once, and others in places. Once it looked like someone's veiled had wings, and another had a mask! :)

LOL! I would like to see that! I was a bit sad though! I didn't even have a clue untill I saw that photo contest theme and got me to looking! Yesterday he was real dark and his skin was wrinkely and today it's all gone and nice bright looking skin!

Back
Top Bottom