Shedding Cuff?

Freedom1

As I was putting my Chameleon back in her cage, I misted her from a distance to let her clean out her eyes and drink. I did this for about 2-3 minutes. The problem is she is also shedding. I always thought that you should raise the humidity while they’re shedding but I’m just now reading on here that it’s actually bad to do that. After I was done spraying her I noticed what I think to be a cuff formed. I’m afraid that the water might’ve pushed up the shed into a circle around her leg. It doesn’t go completely around the leg, but it covers a good portion of it. How should I fix this? I’ve never had a problem with her sheds before.

Attachments

• 55A4F679-DD95-492A-96D7-55A21332FF9B.jpeg
    55A4F679-DD95-492A-96D7-55A21332FF9B.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 6E11C128-3F5F-4C2A-89F8-F3BDF8605331.jpeg
    6E11C128-3F5F-4C2A-89F8-F3BDF8605331.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 9F0095C7-9016-4B98-BD4A-120FF3E70B23.jpeg
    9F0095C7-9016-4B98-BD4A-120FF3E70B23.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 103
  • E8E12AB5-FC0E-4B3D-A7D0-EEACEC497FCB.jpeg
    E8E12AB5-FC0E-4B3D-A7D0-EEACEC497FCB.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 300DF35F-E364-418C-BC24-25BE2A125DC7.jpeg
    300DF35F-E364-418C-BC24-25BE2A125DC7.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 104
It will be fine.. It is not a full cuff. Looks like it is shed only on one side. We worry and assist if it is a full cuff that is constricting blood flow. This is not that. For shedding you will not raise humidity at all. They are dry shedders. So when the humidity is raised or they are sprayed directly the shed becomes more like paper mache sticking to their skin rather than separating from it.

This is a great site for learning complete husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

If you have any questions just ask us here. :)

Thank you!! I got really worried, but I’ll keep an eye on it and make sure that everything’s okay!! I’m soo excited because I just ordered her bigger cage!!! So in a month or two when it arrives I can upgrade her enclosure!!:)

Just a general husbandry comment here, but veileds need live plants only in their cages. If you want us to make sure the rest of your husbandry is at 100%, let us know, and we'll link/copy and paste the husbandry form for here for you! You have a gorgeous chameleon, too!

Just a general husbandry comment here, but veileds need live plants only in their cages. If you want us to make sure the rest of your husbandry is at 100%, let us know, and we'll link/copy and paste the husbandry form for here for you! You have a gorgeous chameleon, too!
When the new cage comes I plan on making it 100% live plants. I have a Ti Plant, Golden Pothos, and snake plant in her current cage though, but I will definitely get more!! Can you copy link the husbandry form too? I would like to have it reviewed

Here you go🙂
When the new cage comes I plan on making it 100% live plants. I have a Ti Plant, Golden Pothos, and snake plant in her current cage though, but I will definitely get more!! Can you copy link the husbandry form too? I would like to have it reviewed
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Your Chameleon- My chameleon is a female veiled. She is about 3 years old, I don't know her exact age though.
Handling- I handle her about 3-4 times a week. When I open the cage door or even walk in the room she runs to the front of her cage. She automatically associates me with food! Sometimes she'll even be sticking her tongue out at my hand when there's nothing on it 😂
Feeding- Im feeding her crickets and roaches with the occasional horned worm. She gets fed every other day about 4-5 large feeders. I like to feed her in the mornings, but at least before 1 or 2 cause I want her to have enough time to digest her food. I gut load the feeders with sweet potato, apple, kale, carrots, oranges, and sometimes mustard greens if I have them.
Supplements- The feeders are lightly dusted with Zoo med without D3 at every feeding. Except two times a month, once in the beginning and once at the end, I dust with zoo meds reptivite multivitamin with D3.
Watering- I mist her cage an hour after she wakes up, and once more an hour before she goes to bed. I also have a big dripper that I let run throughout the day. When I get the bigger cage I will set up the MistKing misting system.
Fecal Description- Her urates are mostly white but I would still like to see less yellow on the end. The MistKing misting system should help fix that.
History- I got her from Petsmart. When I first got her I wasn't aware of how Petsmart obtained their animals. One of my siblings wanted a pet chameleon, so after some research we went out and got one. When I found Chameleon Forums I realized that we were fed all the wrong information, so I stepped up and started to care for her (instead of my sibling). She has laid eggs successfully four times now. The number of eggs has decreased with each lay! I actually believe that she is carrying eggs now, so I will add the lay bin in soon. Its about 1/2 organic soil and 1/2 play sand mixed with water so It can hold a tunnel. When the bigger enclosure arrives I plan to make the lay bin a permanent part of her cage.
Cage type- It is a screened in cage thats 16 by16by 30. Its standing on a small sturdy table. Since i'm a teen I didn't have enough money to buy a new cage for awhile. I got a job and now I have purchased a 2 by 2 by4 Tall Screen Dragon Strand enclosure that should be arriving in June:)
Lighting- I use a T5HO hood with a 5.0 linear uvb bulb. It is the length of the cage, so it goes all the way across the cage. I have already purchased a bigger fixture and bulb for the new cage. I use a dome fixture with a 60 watt daylight blue bulb for her heating lamp. I plan on switching to a cheaper 60 watt incandescent household bulb.
Temperature- Her basking spot stays at 80-82 degrees. The bottom of the cage stays around 65-70 degrees, but at night it never drops below 60. I use a temperature gun to measure these.
Humidity- I use a hydrometer to measure humidity. It stays around 40% during the day and I raise it to 55-60% at night.
Plants- I currently have a Ti plant, Golden Pothos, and a snake plant. I have one plastic plant hanging from the side. With the new cage I'm going to go 100% live plants.
Placement- Its in one of the warmest rooms in the house. Not many people pass through the room, so she gets more privacy. The top of the cage is about 41/2 feet off of the floor, but the new cage will be a little over 5 1/2 feet off the floor.
Placement- I am located in Northern Virginia. Just 20-30 minutes outside of DC ( with traffic it usually takes hours:cautious:.)
Current Problem- I was just concerned about her shedding, but Beman said that it doesn't look like a full shedding cuff so it should be fine. This is mostly just a husbandry check :)

Here’s some pictures!!!

Attachments

• 76BAB2AB-3214-437D-B4DE-520DC5EF68FB.jpeg
    76BAB2AB-3214-437D-B4DE-520DC5EF68FB.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 087F22B6-8E63-4CED-B07B-DCE99B77E9E3.jpeg
    087F22B6-8E63-4CED-B07B-DCE99B77E9E3.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 6FAFDB6E-DB86-4BC9-A16D-ECE2C3CB0372.jpeg
    6FAFDB6E-DB86-4BC9-A16D-ECE2C3CB0372.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 52CB3A90-FF1F-4781-B34F-D2F99E7AAB9E.jpeg
    52CB3A90-FF1F-4781-B34F-D2F99E7AAB9E.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 76
  • B354AB9A-E4FF-4C7E-A6A5-24F217F0DAB4.jpeg
    B354AB9A-E4FF-4C7E-A6A5-24F217F0DAB4.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 66
My responses will be in red and in bold! I'll post helpful links and charts at the end, as well! Could you post some full pics of her cage, please?

Your Chameleon- My chameleon is a female veiled. She is about 3 years old, I don't know her exact age though.
Handling- I handle her about 3-4 times a week. When I open the cage door or even walk in the room she runs to the front of her cage. She automatically associates me with food! Sometimes she'll even be sticking her tongue out at my hand when there's nothing on it 😂
Feeding- Im feeding her crickets and roaches with the occasional horned worm. She gets fed every other day about 4-5 large feeders. I like to feed her in the mornings, but at least before 1 or 2 cause I want her to have enough time to digest her food. I gut load the feeders with sweet potato, apple, kale, carrots, oranges, and sometimes mustard greens if I have them. You can cut down her feeders to 3 every 3 days. Don't use raw kale in your gutload, it binds calcium!
Supplements- The feeders are lightly dusted with Zoo med without D3 at every feeding. Except two times a month, once in the beginning and once at the end, I dust with zoo meds reptivite multivitamin with D3. Are her Reptivite With D3 feedings 2 weeks apart?
Watering-
I mist her cage an hour after she wakes up, and once more an hour before she goes to bed. I also have a big dripper that I let run throughout the day. When I get the bigger cage I will set up the MistKing misting system.
Fecal Description- Her urates are mostly white but I would still like to see less yellow on the end. The MistKing misting system should help fix that.
History- I got her from Petsmart. When I first got her I wasn't aware of how Petsmart obtained their animals. One of my siblings wanted a pet chameleon, so after some research we went out and got one. When I found Chameleon Forums I realized that we were fed all the wrong information, so I stepped up and started to care for her (instead of my sibling). She has laid eggs successfully four times now. The number of eggs has decreased with each lay! I actually believe that she is carrying eggs now, so I will add the lay bin in soon. Its about 1/2 organic soil and 1/2 play sand mixed with water so It can hold a tunnel. When the bigger enclosure arrives I plan to make the lay bin a permanent part of her cage.
Cage type- It is a screened in cage thats 16 by16by 30. Its standing on a small sturdy table. Since i'm a teen I didn't have enough money to buy a new cage for awhile. I got a job and now I have purchased a 2 by 2 by4 Tall Screen Dragon Strand enclosure that should be arriving in June:)
Lighting- I use a T5HO hood with a 5.0 linear uvb bulb. It is the length of the cage, so it goes all the way across the cage. I have already purchased a bigger fixture and bulb for the new cage. I use a dome fixture with a 60 watt daylight blue bulb for her heating lamp. I plan on switching to a cheaper 60 watt incandescent household bulb. How far away is her UVB bulb from her basking branch? You'll want to switch out and use a plain white bulb instead of the daylight blue one.
Temperature-
Her basking spot stays at 80-82 degrees. The bottom of the cage stays around 65-70 degrees, but at night it never drops below 60. I use a temperature gun to measure these. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe to measure her basking temps, placed where the top of her back is when she's on her basking branch.
Humidity-
I use a hydrometer to measure humidity. It stays around 40% during the day and I raise it to 55-60% at night.
Plants- I currently have a Ti plant, Golden Pothos, and a snake plant. I have one plastic plant hanging from the side. With the new cage I'm going to go 100% live plants. Is the fake plant inside of cage?
Placement-
Its in one of the warmest rooms in the house. Not many people pass through the room, so she gets more privacy. The top of the cage is about 41/2 feet off of the floor, but the new cage will be a little over 5 1/2 feet off the floor.
Placement- I am located in Northern Virginia. Just 20-30 minutes outside of DC ( with traffic it usually takes hours:cautious:.)
Current Problem- I was just concerned about her shedding, but Beman said that it doesn't look like a full shedding cuff so it should be fine. This is mostly just a husbandry check :)

You've done and are doing a great job, thanks for stepping up to care for her properly!

Here's the links:

https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 62
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 73
  • AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
Supplements- The feeders are lightly dusted with Zoo med without D3 at every feeding. Except two times a month, once in the beginning and once at the end, I dust with zoo meds reptivite multivitamin with D3. Are her Reptivite With D3 feedings 2 weeks apart?
The feeding are 2 weeks apart.
Lighting- I use a T5HO hood with a 5.0 linear uvb bulb. It is the length of the cage, so it goes all the way across the cage. I have already purchased a bigger fixture and bulb for the new cage. I use a dome fixture with a 60 watt daylight blue bulb for her heating lamp. I plan on switching to a cheaper 60 watt incandescent household bulb. How far away is her UVB bulb from her basking branch? You'll want to switch out and use a plain white bulb instead of the daylight blue one.
The UVB bulb is about 9 inches away from her basking branch. I will definitely switch out the daylight bulb. I want to make sure that everything is set up correctly in the new enclosure! :)
Temperature- Her basking spot stays at 80-82 degrees. The bottom of the cage stays around 65-70 degrees, but at night it never drops below 60. I use a temperature gun to measure these. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe to measure her basking temps, placed where the top of her back is when she's on her basking branch.
I will look into the digital thermometers! Do chameleons ever try to eat the probe? Does it disturb chameleons since it's hanging in the cage above them/ to the side?
Plants- I currently have a Ti plant, Golden Pothos, and a snake plant. I have one plastic plant hanging from the side. With the new cage I'm going to go 100% live plants. Is the fake plant inside of cage?
Yes, the fake plant is inside of the cage. Thankfully she hasn't tried to eat it, but her new cage will be 100% live plants.

The feeding are 2 weeks apart.

The UVB bulb is about 9 inches away from her basking branch. I will definitely switch out the daylight bulb. I want to make sure that everything is set up correctly in the new enclosure! :)

I will look into the digital thermometers! Do chameleons ever try to eat the probe? Does it disturb chameleons since it's hanging in the cage above them/ to the side?

Yes, the fake plant is inside of the cage. Thankfully she hasn't tried to eat it, but her new cage will be 100% live plants.
  • Perfect!
  • Great!
  • Not in my experience for either.
  • You can switch it to the outside for privacy but without the danger!

Here are some pictures of her cage. The Ti plant used to be more full but it lost some of its leaves. I’m not very good at keeping plants alive. 😅 I usually Cover the front of her cage with the sheet that you see behind it to give her more privacy. I leave at least one/ two sides uncovered though when I do have the sheet on.

Attachments

• 09E25549-3590-4454-AB0D-05D438FE079E.jpeg
    09E25549-3590-4454-AB0D-05D438FE079E.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 72
  • D96540AA-1455-4F80-8FB0-EFCF686985D5.jpeg
    D96540AA-1455-4F80-8FB0-EFCF686985D5.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 65
I would switch places with your basking and UVB lights though, so the UVB fixture is in the center of the cage.

I would switch places with your basking and UVB lights though, so the UVB fixture is in the center of the cage.
Thanks for pointing that out! I will go switch them! Thank you for helping me and answering my questions. Chameleon Forums has been very helpful and its full of very kind and respectful people like you!

Thanks for pointing that out! I will go switch them! Thank you for helping me and answering my questions. Chameleon Forums has been very helpful and its full of very kind and respectful people like you!
No problem, and thank you, we're all here to help!

Back
Top Bottom