shed problems?

EveryGreen

Established Member
so i have seen cooper in his basking spot normally 8 hours a day. usually hes not there for that long. i have had problems with his sheading lately
about a month ago i saw he was shedding on his feet area (just his feet) and i thought hmm.. thats weird that hes only sheeding at that spot.. and he never shed anything on his body.
and then a couple days ago i caught him biting shed he had on his tail (his shed was again, ONLY on his tail) an i also saw that within the past few days that it has slowly been growning up his tail.
i believe this is unusual for chams, especially since i mist him about 3 min 3x a day. when he is shedding however i mist him 5 min for 3x a day, he hasnt showed any signs of a whole body shed yet.
is there anything wrong with what i should be doing to help this?
is his tail growing faster than all his other body parts?
is this normal?

Last edited:
and then a couple days ago i caught him biting shed he had on his tail (oly on his tail) an i also saw that within the past few days that it has slowly been growning up his tail.
Our adult chameleons will occasionally shed only on their feet between full sheds. I'm not sure what you mean about his tail?

Pictures always help. Is his tail growing thicker?
If you think he's having a difficult shed you should try the shower method.
"Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

Pictures always help. Is his tail growing thicker?
If you think he's having a difficult shed you should try the shower method.
"Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
i could but i dont have a live plant

5 minutes really isn't that long. I do 5 minutes 3x a day normally
5 min is overkill for me really.. I mean if i'm sitting there for 5 minutes the floor will get flooded and everything will be soaked. I ol don't have any live plants so.. and this freshly bought large crickets are chirping SO MUCH

You have to do what's right for your cham and if he's having issues with shedding then maybe you need to up your mistings. Get a live plant, which you should have anyway, and figure out drainage. You can't just not do it because it's inconvenient for you
The original live plant I had died, I've saving money for another one as I don't have the money

For live plants get a golden pothos. These things never die and can handle the constant misting. They grow like weeds too if your lights are strong enough.

For the flooding issue, I usually will lay down a couple of sheets of paper towel to absorb a good amount of the water that gathers on the bottom of the cage when I do my heavy morning misting. Keeps the water from leaking onto my floor until I can move my cham into his adult enclosure with the drainage system.

For live plants get a golden pothos. These things never die and can handle the constant misting. They grow like weeds too if your lights are strong enough.

For the flooding issue, I usually will lay down a couple of sheets of paper towel to absorb a good amount of the water that gathers on the bottom of the cage when I do my heavy morning misting. Keeps the water from leaking onto my floor until I can move my cham into his adult enclosure with the drainage system.
oooo a drainage system? fancy

You have to do what's right for your cham and if he's having issues with shedding then maybe you need to up your mistings. Get a live plant, which you should have anyway, and figure out drainage. You can't just not do it because it's inconvenient for you
What's the point of spraying for 5 minutes anyway, if I get all the leaves wet and him wet then if i'm spraying for 3-2 more minutes the water I just sprayed is going to make a puddle on the floor and he's going to get even more mad at me

Drainage systems are important with chameleon care. I regularly have 8-10 minute mistings once a day and never go below 4 minutes. I also use hot water in the misting bottle (if I am hand spraying) that is cooled off with just a bit of room temp or cold water. That way when it comes out it is warm. Sometimes certain chameleons (especially shower lovers) prefer larger drops to fine mists. Or there are certain chameleons who don't like being hand misted at all and only like auto-misting. But drainage is necessary with chams. Companies who cater to chameleon cages make specific drainage pans that work with their cages. Wonder why that is? XD

What's the point of spraying for 5 minutes anyway, if I get all the leaves wet and him wet then if i'm spraying for 3-2 more minutes the water I just sprayed is going to make a puddle on the floor and he's going to get even more mad at me

Sometimes a quick misting isn't enough to stimulate the chameleon to drink. With my cham, he gets really irritated at first but after 3-4 minutes he starts to actively drink or clean his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom