she started digging

chameleonfan101

Established Member
So I've been keeping male Chameleons for quite some time now. I recently got a female panther. Today she started digging for the first time in her container. Her container has about 8 or 9 inches of sand. About 2 minutes ago I saw her facing into the tunnel and she was barely moving. I'm freaking out almost as much when I got my first chameleon. I know you are not supposed to look at them when they are digging but I'm afraid she is stock or the container is not deep enough. What do you guys think I should do??? Move her to a bigger container?? Leave her alone and wait?? Thanks a lot!!!

you've been keeping chameleons for quite some time now, and still don't know that females need complete privacy? lol, yes they need complete privacy and if possible, drape a sheet or pillow case and cover cage. any involvement in the egg laying process can end up causing her to become egg bound, it would have to then go to serious measures, oxytocin being the the least lethal, to a surgery, to death. so just let her be, if she is not satisfied after digging several test holes over a few days, than i would quickly and gently put a larger bin in her cage. jmho

you've been keeping chameleons for quite some time now, and still don't know that females need complete privacy? lol, yes they need complete privacy and if possible, drape a sheet or pillow case and cover cage. any involvement in the egg laying process can end up causing her to become egg bound, it would have to then go to serious measures, oxytocin being the the least lethal, to a surgery, to death. so just let her be, if she is not satisfied after digging several test holes over a few days, than i would quickly and gently put a larger bin in her cage. jmho

Yeah I put a towel over her cage. Thanks. Ive only kept males until now lol. Thanks a lot for your help phil.

Back
Top Bottom