She isnt eating ..

kyreg

Ok , so my female veiled is not eating at all and hasnt the last two days. I put a bucket of 50/50 soil and coco husk in for her if she were to lay eggs, today. And she started eating that instead of the crickets. I force fed her two crickets but thats it .
Is there any idea of whats going on ?
And what i would be able to do ?
Im going to go switch up her staple to silkies tomorrow.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/izzy-female-veiled-16162/

Do you think she is gravid? 2 days really is nothing to worry about-try the different feeder like you mentioned.

Why would you force feed a chameleon after only two days of not eating???
Mine go weeks without food in the winter (well ... the male does) and I have never considered force feeding.
Aside from that ... if she is gravid (which you suspect, or you wouldn't have provided the laying spot) she's not supposed to eat before laying.
Are her eyes open?
Is she acting healthy?

Your medium for the laying bin is not my favorite choice. Sand or very sandy topsoil is better (in my opinion)

-Brad

Last edited:
How old is she?
How often do you feed her?
What are the temperatures (basking and ambient) in her enclosure?
Can you post a picture of her that shows her body?

-Brad

Mine go weeks without food in the winter (well ... the male does) and I have never considered force feeding.
Aside from that ... if she is gravid (which you suspect, or you wouldn't have provided the laying spot) she's not supposed to eat before laying.
Are her eyes open?
Is she acting healthy?

Your medium for the laying bin is not my favorite choice. Sand or very sandy topsoil is better (in my opinion)

-Brad

Her eyes are open ,
she is very healthy.

But my question was what would be the cause of this?

could be winter time,
could be that she's gravid,
or simply of boredom of the specific feeder.
Like Juli and Brad said, 2 days are quite normal and you should avoid force feeding her.
That process in itself is incredibly stressful for her.
You really don't want to inflict such extreme stress unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

Are her eyes open?
Is she acting healthy?

-Brad

Brad, remember that everyone might not have the experience some of us have had with picky eaters. People put their heart and souls into these animals, and im sure he/she only force fed it because obviously this animal has never shown this behavior before, and im sure he/she only did it because they were worried. Kyreg, but just as everyone said, she is possibly bored with the feeder, shes preparing to lay eggs, or she is cutting back entering these cold months, which by the way, they can certainly sense even if housed strictly indoors. For your laying medium, i would reccomend a 50% coco fiber and 50% sand mix. This mixture holds very well and doesnt dry out to quickly.

could be winter time,
could be that she's gravid,
or simply of boredom of the specific feeder.
Like Juli and Brad said, 2 days are quite normal and you should avoid force feeding her.
That process in itself is incredibly stressful for her.
You really don't want to inflict such extreme stress unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.
No no i totally understand now. i wont force feed, it just scared me. And i think i may need to clear up that "force feeding" was when i held a cricket to her mouth until she started to nibble and then i would slowly put half of it in her mouth and let her do th rest she would spit it though.
she just has never done this before and i would like to know why she would eat the substrate instead of the crickets?

Brad, remember that everyone might not have the experience some of us have had with picky eaters. People put their heart and souls into these animals, and im sure he/she only force fed it because obviously this animal has never shown this behavior before, and im sure he/she only did it because they were worried. Kyreg, but just as everyone said, she is possibly bored with the feeder, shes preparing to lay eggs, or she is cutting back entering these cold months, which by the way, they can certainly sense even if housed strictly indoors. For your laying medium, i would reccomend a 50% coco fiber and 50% sand mix. This mixture holds very well and doesnt dry out to quickly.
Well she is showing her colours of robin blue (see the liknk i have to the forum) and i was reading that coco husk and soil would be ok? i guessnot. So where would i buy the sand mix> is there a certain kind i would need?

Back
Top Bottom