Sharing my new enclosure!

JamesEB

Hello, everyone.

I just finished planting my new enclosure and wanted to share it with everyone.

I hope I haven't gone overboard with the plants.

Attachments

• with plants-min.jpg
    with plants-min.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 150
  • without plants-min.jpg
    without plants-min.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 135
What size is the terrarium? It's too small for a panther and could be too small for a jacksons, too.

They need a 2x2x4 enclosure and that’s in feet, not sure what it is in cm. It does look beautiful though, just small.

They need a 2x2x4 enclosure and that’s in feet, not sure what it is in cm. It does look beautiful though, just small.

This has always been the UK dilemma. You can't use mesh because it doesn't keep heat/ humidity and the largest glass terrariums with good airflow are only 90cm tall. I keep being told it's more about the active usable area rather than height, but I'm a bit sceptical.

I've been debating a couple of routes I can go. I can raise a male and update (mod viv by adding an extra foot), keep a female, or go with a smaller species.

decisions decisions

I live in the state of Maine which is the farthest northeast you can get in the US and we get snow in the winter. I know it is hard to keep humidity up and temps at the proper levels in homes where heaters are running because we have that issue here. You just have to cover 3 sides of your screen enclosure with either plastic or that corrugated plastic sheet panels and use an automated misting machine. We can’t always get our temps or humidity perfect but we do the very best we can. Chams just need that much room. I hope this has helped you with some ideas.

I live in the state of Maine which is the farthest northeast you can get in the US and we get snow in the winter. I know it is hard to keep humidity up and temps at the proper levels in homes where heaters are running because we have that issue here. You just have to cover 3 sides of your screen enclosure with either plastic or that corrugated plastic sheet panels and use an automated misting machine. We can’t always get our temps or humidity perfect but we do the very best we can. Chams just need that much room. I hope this has helped you with some ideas.
Yeah, it's going to have to be a Jackson's chameleon with the size enclosure I have or a CB carpet chameleon, if I can find one (not likely, lol). With my setup being a bioactive glass terrarium and UK climate, I'll be able to achieve the needed high humidity and nighttime temp drop.

I'm assuming you have Jackson's given your username. Could you share your setup?

I have a Jackson’s. They need a 2x2x4 feet at minimum. It won’t work with your enclosure I’m sorry to say. It’s a beautiful enclosure but the only Cham I could think of might be the very tiny brookesia or leaf chameleon but I know nothing about them. I’m actually having humidity issues tonight because the humidity is too low and I have my screened enclosure covered on three sides with plastic and a mistking system misting all night long to no avail. It’s very frustrating to try to make everything perfect for these guys and many times you just can’t but we owe it to them to try.

So I believe it is 18x18x36 inches. Yes on the small side, but can be acceptable. Especially for a Jackson’s. There are other keepers using that size. Bigger is better but sometimes we are limited. A free range tree next to the enclosure can give extra climbing when you are able to watch.
some more climbing branches could be added. I like the thick branches you have, with some narrow ones it gives good variety.

Plants can be trimmed out as needed.

So I believe it is 18x18x36 inches. Yes on the small side, but can be acceptable. Especially for a Jackson’s. There are other keepers using that size. Bigger is better but sometimes we are limited. A free range tree next to the enclosure can give extra climbing when you are able to watch.
some more climbing branches could be added. I like the thick branches you have, with some narrow ones it gives good variety.

Plants can be trimmed out as needed.
Ty, for feedback and a free-range tree next to the enclosure, is a great idea.

I've been debating a couple of routes I can go. I can raise a male and update (mod viv by adding an extra foot), keep a female, or go with a smaller species.
Hello James, I had the same issue regarding size and just wanted something bigger for my cham, this is eventually my solution https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/project-royal-penthouse-suite-ranjo.183628/

Definitely love your setup, however agree with others that it would be on small size for an Jackson. For example a K. Boehmei it would be the correct size.

Hello James, I had the same issue regarding size and just wanted something bigger for my cham, this is eventually my solution https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/project-royal-penthouse-suite-ranjo.183628/

Definitely love your setup, however agree with others that it would be on small size for an Jackson. For example a K. Boehmei it would be the correct size.
Hello,

Very impressive; you have given me inspiration for my next project.

This is what confuses me. Jackson's half the size of veiled chameleons, and yet they have the same minimum size enclosure requirements? But female panther chameleons are slightly larger than Jackson's, but can go an 18 x 36 no problem? I understand bigger is better, but the logic puzzles me.:unsure:

For now, I'm going to bind my time, plan my new project and look for an F. lateralis. Maybe rise a juvenile once I've started the new digs.

TY for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom