Sexing my Veiled Chameleon.

Djwilly775

Hi everyone! Im new to this forum! And new to veiled chameleons. I am having trouble sexing my chameleon, and wanted to see if anyone here can tell me the easiest way to sex him/her. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• BEE6F6AA-4713-49FE-8614-D79489DA6F2A.jpeg
    BEE6F6AA-4713-49FE-8614-D79489DA6F2A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 160
Hi and welcome to the forums. The easiest way to tell the sex of a veiled Cham is by the back feet. Makes will have small tarsal spurs on there back feet and females will not.

If you would like to fill your answers into the help form we can look at your husbandry (chameleon care) and make suggestions if necessary.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2. Photos can be very helpful.

I hate to say this, but you're about to spend some serious $$.

You need way more coverage, and since they are an aboral (Tree Dwelling) species, they love to climb, the taller the cage the better. Live Plants are an amazing choice because they are a fun little snack for your cham (especially veiled) and you can even go bioactive, in my experience, they hold water droplets way batter than fake plants. Just make sure that they are cham safe and are clean. Hibiscus and Pothos are always a great choice.

I prefer screen over glass because, it provides airflow and less mold, but their toenails can come out if they get stuck on it if they are not careful. It looks like you have substrate at the bottom, (Yay or Nay?) if you don't have any live plants in there, most of us prefer to say no to the substrate because it can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

The Form that @Lennoncham send is an easy way to help you with your husbandry.

Thanks for coming to the forums and we'll get you the help you need!

Trust me I'm ok with spending money on my cham..i wanna do whats best for her. Thats why i joined the forum. So i can be well educated. I hav heard how screen enclosures are better than glass. Bt this a temp enclosure til she gets bigger

I hate to say this, but you're about to spend some serious $$.

You need way more coverage, and since they are an aboral (Tree Dwelling) species, they love to climb, the taller the cage the better. Live Plants are an amazing choice because they are a fun little snack for your cham (especially veiled) and you can even go bioactive, in my experience, they hold water droplets way batter than fake plants. Just make sure that they are cham safe and are clean. Hibiscus and Pothos are always a great choice.

I prefer screen over glass because, it provides airflow and less mold, but their toenails can come out if they get stuck on it if they are not careful. It looks like you have substrate at the bottom, (Yay or Nay?) if you don't have any live plants in there, most of us prefer to say no to the substrate because it can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

The Form that @Lennoncham send is an easy way to help you with your husbandry.

Thanks for coming to the forums and we'll get you the help you need!
Trust me I'm ok with spending money on my cham..i wanna do whats best for her. Thats why i joined the forum. So i can be well educated. I hav heard how screen enclosures are better than glass. Bt this a temp enclosure til she gets bigger

@Djwilly775 welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons! Where do you live?

Can you post a photo of the heel so we can see if there's a spur else?

Answering the questions @Lennoncham asked will let us see if there are any things you need to change.

If it is a female you will soon need an egglaying bin because veileds can produce eggs without having been mated...just like chickens.

I hav heard how screen enclosures are better than glass
This is not true, at least not automatically anyway. Both screen and glass vivs have strengths and weaknesses that must be compensated for when designing the enclosure. The environment the viv will be housed is the main, but not sole, determining factor as to which type of viv will preform best. As a general rule, screen vivs preform best in high humidity/temp environments and glass vivs preform best in low humidity/temp environments. As mentioned previously, answering the questions above would help us determine which would be best for you.

Hibi
This is not true, at least not automatically anyway. Both screen and glass vivs have strengths and weaknesses that must be compensated for when designing the enclosure. The environment the viv will be housed is the main, but not sole, determining factor as to which type of viv will preform best. As a general rule, screen vivs preform best in high humidity/temp environments and glass vivs preform best in low humidity/temp environments. As mentioned previously, answering the questions above would help us determine which would be best for you.
hi sorry ive had a long day!!! But i have a glass enclosure and live in northern Nevada where its usually cold 7 months outa the year

Back
Top Bottom