sexing my blue ambanja

herp essentials

can someone tell me how to sex my blue ambanja. As you know he/ she is very young but what characteristics should I be looking for to tell the difference

Thanks

Hi Herp essentials:

There are a few indicators that are high probability determinants , but by no means infallible.

Very young females will through red throats when they gape. That is when they are stressed and extend their gular, often a female will have red lines running along the gular.

Males will begin to show signs such as colour, of course. This can come and go for the first little while. Hints of serious colour can begin to show at 12 weeks and may take as long as 5 months. Full colour can take beyond 1 year of age.

Males also will develop a proboscus ( nose), that will extend past the lower lip. This characteristic can become pronounced at about 4 months.

And eventually , at about 4-7 months , the male will display an unmistakeable set of wedding tackle ( hemipenes) at the base of the tail.

Anyone else have any observations that might help???

In addition to the above, by about 12 weeks or so, males usually take on a more grey color with slightly more pronounced white lateral stripe. Females may be more of a brownish color, with less defined lateral stripe.
Do you have a pic of your baby?

Wow! S/he's tiny! I guess I didn't realize s/he was so young! It looks to me, at least, that the colors your cham is displaying in your pics are stress reactors, so that makes it even harder to tell. A pic showing calm, relaxed colors may or may not help, due to the cham's age .. but who knows?

Wow! S/he's tiny! I guess I didn't realize s/he was so young! It looks to me, at least, that the colors your cham is displaying in your pics are stress reactors, so that makes it even harder to tell. A pic showing calm, relaxed colors may or may not help, due to the cham's age .. but who knows?

I know, I'm surprised they even sold it.

Back
Top Bottom