Sexing baby panthers

panther67

Established Member
Hi all, I have a stupid ?. Is it true that only male babies will flare there dewlap out? I do not mean for sunning, out like they see another male, beyond there lower jaw. Thanks for any info.

I've never heard that. I sex mine by the size of the base of the tail and it's not easy until they's a month old.

Hi all, I have a stupid ?. Is it true that only male babies will flare there dewlap out? I do not mean for sunning, out like they see another male, beyond there lower jaw. Thanks for any info.

Both males and females will flare out their dewlap. Color, and thickness of the base of the tail is the way I sex babies.

Both males and females will flare out their dewlap. Color, and thickness of the base of the tail is the way I sex babies.

I agree w/ toddmkeller!!!! The tail base is the best way! Color works too but sometimes you can have a colorfull female throw you off.

I agree w/ toddmkeller!!!! The tail base is the best way! Color works too but sometimes you can have a colorfull female throw you off.

Female neonates tend to be more colorful with a generally peachy color when relaxed, where the males are greyish for the most part.

Boy on the right and girl on the left:
4640209823_98866ed0de_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom