Sexing a young ambilobe panther & health question

Enochlg

He/She looks to be about 4-5 months old. I've read to look at the base of the tale but it's still a little hard for me to tell. The pet store owner wasnt to sure either :confused:
It's only been 2 days since bringing him home from the pet store so he's still pretty dark but I'll post pictures of before and after the move so you can see his colors when he's not scared, I am happy to see him eating and drinking normal and venturing around his enclosure as well. I'm going to include a picture of his/her poop as well hoping to get some opinions on the appearance of his/her health looks like. Other then the dark skin colors (which I expect is normal due to the stress of the move for at least the next week or so) his/her behavior seems to be normal. I've noticed a few weird things like sometimes he'll sleep with his face and upper body hanging downward like a bat and sometimes when he's basking he'll open his mouth for about 5 seconds and then close and maybe repeat a few more times, but I listened very closely and herd no noises coming from his throat and his mouth looks clean and he only does it when he's basking. I'm a nervous 1st time parent so any opinions and advice is welcomed. I'll also post a picture of his enclosure so you know what he's living like.

Attachments

• IMAG0357.jpg
    IMAG0357.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG0350.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG0344.jpg
    IMAG0344.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 222
He/She looks to be about 4-5 months old. I've read to look at the base of the tale but it's still a little hard for me to tell. The pet store owner wasnt to sure either :confused:
It's only been 2 days since bringing him home from the pet store so he's still pretty dark but I'll post pictures of before and after the move so you can see his colors when he's not scared, I am happy to see him eating and drinking normal and venturing around his enclosure as well. I'm going to include a picture of his/her poop as well hoping to get some opinions on the appearance of his/her health looks like. Other then the dark skin colors (which I expect is normal due to the stress of the move for at least the next week or so) his/her behavior seems to be normal. I've noticed a few weird things like sometimes he'll sleep with his face and upper body hanging downward like a bat and sometimes when he's basking he'll open his mouth for about 5 seconds and then close and maybe repeat a few more times, but I listened very closely and herd no noises coming from his throat and his mouth looks clean and he only does it when he's basking. I'm a nervous 1st time parent so any opinions and advice is welcomed. I'll also post a picture of his enclosure so you know what he's living like.

That is a female and looks nice and plump from the last picture..keep her well hydrated by misting her cage often. They will often sleep in awkward positions. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks & Thanks again- I was leaning towards the same answer myself, think I'm still going to let her keep the name Enoch though :)

Thanks & Thanks again- I was leaning towards the same answer myself, think I'm still going to let her keep the name Enoch though :)

I am sure you have done plenty of research about keeping chameleons, but I want to direct you to my favorite blogs on this forum which are full of information. Here are the links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Since you have a female, I suggest you read this one:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

As you may know, we not only keep chameleons, but have to gutload their food: crickets, roaches, etc.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/575-january-2012-dry-gutload-recipe.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-nuts-seeds-healthy-part-perfect-gutload.html

you can take a look at the site sponsors and you'll find where to purchase other feeder insects on some of their pages. I usually use mulberry farms or small pet feeders. Both are great!

Back
Top Bottom