Severe weather!

AngieL

Avid Member
Hey guys! As some of you know we live on a small island in the middle of the northern sea (uk)

Due to high winds and sea swell there have been no passenger or freight boats for 2 days and none tomorrow either!

The supermarkets have run out of food and the whole island had been going nuts panic buying 10000000 loafs of bread for fear of starving :D

People were fighting over parsnips and stealing things off eachother in the eisles (so I'm told) and apparently it was very apocalyptic over there!

Pretty cool though, the main supermarket has hired a Hercules freight plane to take 4 trips from Edinburgh with fresh food to re stock.

This is the first time on my life that we have had to fly in food! In fact, there hasn't been anything like this since the 70's when all the boatmen went on strike! The plane will take 20 metric tonnes of each trip, I think 80 tonnes of food should do us until the boats start sailing again :)

We're going to get our big Xmas grocery shop tomorrow, wish me luck!

I will be coming to you for Xmas then.:) the weather here is pretty crap but not as bad as yours. For the first time in many years I bought a pair of wellies. I think there is a lot more to come. Batton down the hatches and have a great Xmas.

I will be coming to you for Xmas then.:) the weather here is pretty crap but not as bad as yours. For the first time in many years I bought a pair of wellies. I think there is a lot more to come. Batton down the hatches and have a great Xmas.

But how will you get here? Are you coming on the freight plane? :D

Good luck!

Thanks! :) we will need it!

We started to stick up in bugs 2 weeks ago so got plenty for tealc and geckos thankfully!

It's on the bbc news now too! Yay ill get a loaf of bread tomorrow lol! First plane gets to sumburgh at 11am then it's gotta truck into town and get on the shelves so ill go about 1 and hopefully not get trampled! :)

We started to stick up in bugs 2 weeks ago so got plenty for tealc and geckos thankfully!

It's on the bbc news now too! Yay ill get a loaf of bread tomorrow lol! First plane gets to sumburgh at 11am then it's gotta truck into town and get on the shelves so ill go about 1 and hopefully not get trampled! :)

How was it? Did everyone remember it is the season of good will and all that?:D

My that must be a long Q. Hope you are not like that wife of the lighthouse keeper who went out for a turkey last year and couldn't get back for a month for the snow.LOL. Hope there wasn't a stamped!:D

:eek: Wow, that's awful! I thought it was bad enough living on my little Island (the Isle of Wight right down off the south coast)! At least we still have food in the shops and one of the ferries usually keeps going no matter what, even if the smaller passenger ones can't operate due to bad weather.

:eek: Wow, that's awful! I thought it was bad enough living on my little Island (the Isle of Wight right down off the south coast)! At least we still have food in the shops and one of the ferries usually keeps going no matter what, even if the smaller passenger ones can't operate due to bad weather.

It's just been on the bbc news. I'm not as far north as Angie but its awful here. Very windy and very wet. I hope they are ok.

Thanks for your concerns guys :)

The plane ariived late due to wind but we got fresh food at about 4pm. The fresh produce aisles were closed off and we had to q to get down them! The folks were not too bad pushing and shoving and the tesco staff are doing an amazing job! I would not want to be a tesco employee today :D

We got most of what we needed and there's more stuff to come later tonight and tomorrow. They're open 24 hours at the moment too poor buggers!

My that must be a long Q. Hope you are not like that wife of the lighthouse keeper who went out for a turkey last year and couldn't get back for a month for the snow.LOL. Hope there wasn't a stamped!:D

Lol! No we were only there for 2 hours :)

Thanks for your concerns guys :)

The plane ariived late due to wind but we got fresh food at about 4pm. The fresh produce aisles were closed off and we had to q to get down them! The folks were not too bad pushing and shoving and the tesco staff are doing an amazing job! I would not want to be a tesco employee today :D

We got most of what we needed and there's more stuff to come later tonight and tomorrow. They're open 24 hours at the moment too poor buggers!

Just be careful and safe, things like that cause people to get out of hand. We don't want anything bad to happen to you. Let us know how you are and when it gets back to normal.

Glad you are safe and can enjoy Xmas!:)

Just be careful and safe, things like that cause people to get out of hand. We don't want anything bad to happen to you. Let us know how you are and when it gets back to normal.

You guys are so sweet! Thank you! Yes people have gone rather crazy, selling Brussel sprouts for extortionate prices on the local classifieds! I think it's supposed to be a joke? But it's not really funny!

I hope you both have a fantastic Christmas :)

Thanks solid! It was fine after Xmas, couple cancellations for the boats but nothing major. All back to normality now :)

Back
Top Bottom