Setup pointers or corrections i should make?

toeknees96

I have correct lights (UVB and heat lamp) and equipment to monitor the environment to the correct temperatures and humidity, I feel like my enclosure needs some placement adjustment advice. I plan to take another pic of the enclosure when I'm home so more detail can be seen (sorry about that). I appreciate all feedback thanks so much!

Attachments

• RDT_20211115_0912287787163149380691192.png
    RDT_20211115_0912287787163149380691192.png
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20211114_152819.jpg
    20211114_152819.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20211114_085234_571.jpg
    IMG_20211114_085234_571.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 74
She's a 7 month old jackson, I just got her on Saturday night. The temp is 70 degrees and 60-70% humidity on the farthest side from the basking lamp. I feed her about 12 calcium covered crickets a day and I pour water on the leaves often to make droplets for her to drink (which I've seen her doing). I understand she's stressed from the move and will take some time to adjust. But wanna make sure her home is perfect as can be. I also live in south western Ontario where the humidity changes seasonally so I've been monitoring that closely for her.
I apologize for my poorly constructed info hehe.

Welcome to the forum!

I have correct lights (UVB and heat lamp) and equipment to monitor the environment to the correct temperatures and humidity, I feel like my enclosure needs some placement adjustment advice. I plan to take another pic of the enclosure when I'm home so more detail can be seen (sorry about that). I appreciate all feedback thanks so much!
Please lose the fake plants and replace with live plants & vines only. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

When you do replace with live, you'll need a plant light. For that size enclosure (36” x 18” x 36”?) this one is excellent:
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylig...Z38445N,B07G422J4Z,B071P95X5Q&srpt=LIGHT_BULB

Substrate is appropriate only for bioactive enclosures. If not fully bioactive, no substrate at all is better. Humidity is better achieved with live plants, and regular misting. The fogger should only be used at night after the appropriate temperature drop (for a Jackson's).

I would also remove the hammock. Beardies love hammocks; chams... not so much, and some hammocks can present a claw/nail hazard.

In lieu of manually pouring water on leaves, you may want to consider a dripper (can be DIY) or better yet, automated misting system (e.g. MistKing).

Can't see what you're measuring temp & humidity with. Analog/dial instruments are notoriously inaccurate. Digital hygrometers & thermometers with probes are more accurate, and better able to measure the various microclimates within the enclosure.

Placement: Chameleons feel most comfortable/secure when the basking site is at or above eye level.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

Welcome to the forum!

Please lose the fake plants and replace with live plants & vines only. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

When you do replace with live, you'll need a plant light. For that size enclosure (36” x 18” x 36”?) this one is excellent:
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-Lights-Indoor-Plants/dp/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sansi+70w+grow+light&qid=1636992281&qsid=147-6116492-5858719&sr=8-5&sres=B07TKKG8Q3,B08P6G1PWQ,B08B3KSPQ2,B07BRKG7X1,B082MBRJ2R,B07KXBY2YH,B07R6KCB85,B08RYT4YYL,B075YCVT2Z,B07C68N7PC,B08P6F3TBX,B07RBK1Q7P,B07ZVNKHF7,B083PRBWPG,B07B8L8BDS,B07DL84SNK,B0728K64SK,B07Z38445N,B07G422J4Z,B071P95X5Q&srpt=LIGHT_BULB

Substrate is appropriate only for bioactive enclosures. If not fully bioactive, no substrate at all is better. Humidity is better achieved with live plants, and regular misting. The fogger should only be used at night after the appropriate temperature drop (for a Jackson's).

I would also remove the hammock. Beardies love hammocks; chams... not so much, and some hammocks can present a claw/nail hazard.

In lieu of manually pouring water on leaves, you may want to consider a dripper (can be DIY) or better yet, automated misting system (e.g. MistKing).

Can't see what you're measuring temp & humidity with. Analog/dial instruments are notoriously inaccurate. Digital hygrometers & thermometers with probes are more accurate, and better able to measure the various microclimates within the enclosure.

Placement: Chameleons feel most comfortable/secure when the basking site is at or above eye level.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/
Okie thanks so much for the feedback!!! And I have a prob humidty/therm wiring that goes to a digital face

Hi there. I’m a Jackson’s keeper although not as good as jacksjill, kaizen, and Mendez as they are breeders as well, but since they haven’t answered I’d like to help you. My recommendation first off is a bigger cage. The smallest cage recommended for a Jackson’s is 24x24x48. Since you live in Canada and humidity becomes an issue in the winter ( I live in Maine) I would recommend a cage with three solid sides and a screen front like a Dragon Strand cage. This will help you keep the humidity up inside it. Next you’ll want a large tree or bush such as a schefflera bush or a ficus benjamina small tree. You want something tall and bushy so they can hide in it. Jackson’s are very shy and do best when they can hide fully in amongst foliage. My Jackson’s lives in an xl reptibreeze cage which is all screen but I have wrapped a clear plastic shower curtain around 3 sides and trimmed it to fit. It works well to keep humidity in. We are just going into winter here in Maine so I’m hoping this will work the whole winter. I’m not sure what uvb light you have but they require a T5ho fixture that fits the width of the cage with either an Arcadia 6% bulb or reptisun 5.0. Mine rest on top of the cage and the basking branch should be 8-9 inches below it. For heat I use a 60 watt halogen household bulb in a lamp lamp. You shouldn’t need much more than a 60 watt unless your house is really cold. For misting I use a mist king because I can program it to mist several times a night and I also use a cool mist humidifier that I have placed pvc pipe with an elbow to pipe the “fog” up and over the top of the cage and I run that from 1 am to 5 am. This simulates the fog in their home land that rolls in every night and helps with their hydration. You want daytime temps to be in the 70 s for ambient temp, basking spot to be 80 or below. Night time temps 65 or below. They need this temp drop and if you can take it down into the 50 s it’s even better for them. Daytime humidity should be in the 50 s and night time humidity should be 80-100%. Now there’s a lot more info but you should watch all of the chameleon academy videos and podcasts by Bill Strand. He’s a breeder of Jackson’s and very knowledgeable. You can learn a lot there. https://chameleonacademy.com/
If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask! We’re here to help.

Also wanted to add it looks like you have a female so be ready for babies. They retain sperm and can have multiple clutches from one mating. If you didn’t get her from a reputable breeder that keeps males and females separately, she’s likely going to have babies at some point. Jackson’s give birth to fully formed young. They don’t lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom