Setting up a PROPER Flexarium!

cowchick

Setting up a PROPER Environment!

After realizing I have my setup ALL wrong, I want to go about setting it up properly for Shrek (My male veil...fingers crossed he makes it through his prolapse...if not I will definitely be out in search of a new one!)

I am purchasing a 48" tall exoterra flexarium, and will keep the female in the exoterra glass terrarium. So I need some help please from your experience. Keep in mind I will keep them in my fish room (with many 15 or so aquariums going at any given time including 5 4-6 footers), so the humidity will definitely be there.

Sticks/branches? Can I break some off my willow or birch tree? Are these dangerous in any way? Do they have to be dried dead?

Watering? I use the drip system, but have looked into the waterfall system...do these work? I would like to keep maintenance as easy as possible, because I spend a lot of time away from home in the summer...occasionally for 2 days at a time.

In such a tall aquarium, how will I have to teach Shrek to eat when he's only used to a 2 foot tall setup? Will he find his food, etc?

Thanks and anything else I may have missed I suppose I can add later! Stephanie

Last edited:
I would recommend getting the female a Flexarium also. The glass just isn't healthy or big enough for Veileds. Better yet, I would spend a bit more and get a screen cage-24X24X48 for the male would run about $100 and a 18X18X36 for the female is about $60-$70. I currently have 2 Flexariums that I will be replacing as soon as my chams grow out of them. It takes alot to light them and they are not the easiest to clean. Here is a pic of one of my screen cages and one of the Flexariums.
Leonnewage.jpg

LeonCage040807.jpg

Thanks so much. I saw those screen cages on EBay, but can't seem to find them anywhere here in Ontario. Canada just doesn't have the same choices as the U.S.:( and so much more expensive. I would love to get my hands on one of them screened setups! I figured I'd buy one first...see if I liked it and then get another one for the female later in a smaller size...err, maybe I should do that the other way!

Any thoughts on where to find these in Canada?

I could be wrong, but I think Mike at FL Chams ships to Canada. That is where my big screen cage came from.

Thanks so much. I saw those screen cages on EBay, but can't seem to find them anywhere here in Ontario. Canada just doesn't have the same choices as the U.S.:( and so much more expensive. I would love to get my hands on one of them screened setups! I figured I'd buy one first...see if I liked it and then get another one for the female later in a smaller size...err, maybe I should do that the other way!

Any thoughts on where to find these in Canada?

I ordered a 24x24x48 cage from FL chams.. they ship to Canada and you only need to order one LOL.... I am still waiting for the cage..

So would you guys recomend this for a baby panther nosy be?

Also Julirs,
where did you get that terrarium from?

Brain916-for a baby the big screen cage will be too big, but for an adult NosyBe(my next cham will be a NosyBe!:)) it would be great! The Flexariums(Reptariums-same thing-different maker) I get from Reptilesupply.com or LLLreptile. A 38 Gallon Reptarium makes a great baby cage and is under $30.00!

Thanks guys. I have only found the flexarium types and I was thinking they were hard to see into compared to the screened ones. I will be looking into a new one tonight more...thanks for the input!

Thanks guys. I have only found the flexarium types and I was thinking they were hard to see into compared to the screened ones. I will be looking into a new one tonight more...thanks for the input!

I agree when i first got my chams I had a reptarium and returned it due to lack of visibility... I wasnt at al happy with it and bought a all screen setup...

If you plan to be gone days at a time, do you plan on having someone coming over to mist your chameleon 3 times a day? It's not fair to the chameleon if you think you can just take off for a few days at a time and he'll be fine until you get home.

Yes I have someone that can stop by. I also have 15 tanks of fish, 2 dogs and a cat to care for...and I'm only gone about 5 weekends in the summer for two days...so I can manage to get someone to stop by! I'm asking for suggestions as I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't stay at home 365 days a year!

Does anyone know if you can let a 100Watt Sunglo basking dome rest on the top of a flexarium?

Last edited:
I wouldnt suggest it. there are so many threads about this lately.
First there are different types of sunglo lamps when I googled them. I'm not familiar with their bulb types.
The point isn't the wattage, but the basking temperature. Probably 100w is too high.

edit: I see you are asking about a flexarium and I have no idea if it would melt the nylon mesh or not.

Buy one of those habbamist auto misters you can program 3 hr intervals or once a day. What ever you like and also can adjust the spray & direction, good for those that are not always at home. Mine works very well
for me and lasts several days between fillups. + Ive had it opperating
for well over a year. Somthing to look into anyhow!

Cowchick I wouldnt use willow if I were you. I tried it once, and it turned a nasty colour. Does Arbutus (aka Madrone) grow there like it does here? that's the BEST (essentially no bark, bendable when fresh, dry fast and sturdy). Otherwise try maple or apple or hazel nut - I've had luck with those as well.

My local pet shop sells the screen cages, but I think they're no cheaper than ordering from LL
personally, I dislike those screen cages, but it will be better than the glass one

Back
Top Bottom