Seriously need advice ..... Asap

Ladynyce

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen, Height 32" x 2' x 2'
* Lighting - UBV 100, 120V
* Temperature - Day 110 F at baskin spot 85 F in shade, Night 70-75 F
* Humidity - 60-80% heavy misting 3-4 times daily about 5 minutes of misting
* Plants - Mandevilla vine, some plastic plants
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Indoors next to window where he can get natural sunlight as well, the room that he is in is very warm. The sunlight shining on him I thought would just be a bonus (including his UBV light)
* Location -Toronto (Canada)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon male. Got him at P.J.s Pet store, unknown age but looks about 4 months (MAYBE)
* Handling - Not to often, but I do take him out abit to put him on the sticks in my livingroom which he seems he loves.
* Feeding - 3-4 crickets a day 3 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I tried silk worms but he was unable to chew it.
* Supplements - Calcium no phosphorous with D3
* Watering - Misting 5-10 minutes at time 3 - 4 times a day.
* Fecal Description - brown, dark green in cage, bright green while in hands.
* History - My cat has knocked the cage over, the second day I bought him trying to get to him. Had a broken tail but has recovered. Vet said he had marks on his skin from being to close to the light (apparently)

* Current Problem - Right eye turret swollen immensely after rubbing his eye on leaves, bark, or viens. Eye tends to look like its going to pop out. Noticing that if he doesnt rub his eye it goes back down to size and looks a bit fine but is always closed. I have washed out his eye now with water about 3 times. He tends to open his eye when he is picked up or startled, but then closes it. I took a picture of him one with the bad eye open and when it is closed. When he does open his eye it seems to look fine, but I am not a vet. I am going away for the long weekend and is unable to take him to the vet until I get back. I need some advice on what you may believe is wrong with him and if I have him to close to the light, maybe between the sun and the UBV its too much. He seems to be very dark in the cage but I read that when a cham is dark thats a sign they are cold, so I leave him in the sun with the UBV on thinking he likes it.

PLEASE HELP ME ....... I LOVE HIM TO MUCH TO SEE HIM SUFFER .... ADVICE IS NEEDED ASAP

I'm thinking something like that is either an infected scratch or a really irritating piece of dirt/shed stuck in his eye, and his body is trying to push it out with the swelling.

At this point, what you can do is just mist him as much as possible (with moderation please) to try and get him to blink it out. :(

I hope someone else can help you more.

If your uvb bulb is 100 watts you might be over doing it depending on your cage and how far you have that light from the basking area. Also you basking temp is way way way too hot it should be like 85 in the basking and cooler than 85 in the shade.

You might also want to move you cage away from a window. UVB does not go through glass or plastic so you are only getting the heat from sun hitting the window.

As supplements go you need to be giving him Calcium without D3 every feeding and then Calcium with D3 and some Vitamins twice a month.

Your guy might have something in his eye that he is trying to flush out. If you get some saline drops and use them it might help flush his eye out better than just water.

I'm thinking something like that is either an infected scratch or a really irritating piece of dirt/shed stuck in his eye, and his body is trying to push it out with the swelling.

At this point, what you can do is just mist him as much as possible (with moderation please) to try and get him to blink it out. :(

I hope someone else can help you more.
Thank you, his eye has been like this now for a few days, I was actually hoping that whatever was in his eye would come out by now so I wouldnt have to spend 150$ at the vet, on something like just putting water in his eye to clean it out. Here is a pic with his eye open, it actually looks fine to me but i can see dark black skin around his eye from his rubbing it and making it pop out. It tends to go back down in size then leaves this baggy skin around his eye.

946940_10151474360564833_310628183_n.jpg

553720_10151474360574833_837800979_n.jpg

Last edited:
If your uvb bulb is 100 watts you might be over doing it depending on your cage and how far you have that light from the basking area. Also you basking temp is way way way too hot it should be like 85 in the basking and cooler than 85 in the shade.

You might also want to move you cage away from a window. UVB does not go through glass or plastic so you are only getting the heat from sun hitting the window.

As supplements go you need to be giving him Calcium without D3 every feeding and then Calcium with D3 and some Vitamins twice a month.

Your guy might have something in his eye that he is trying to flush out. If you get some saline drops and use them it might help flush his eye out better than just water.
Wow, thank you so much for the advice, I have been doing my homework on them and the pet store told me that he needs to be in the temp of 100-110, maybe I really am over doing it. The light is 2 inchs over his basking area :s ......
I have a screen cage with no glass, but it makes sense of the sun bouncing off the glass window. Maybe I need to re think out where I should have him in. My sons room is very hot as well thats why I keep him in that room, because people told me that they love heat so I try to make it as hot as possible with no heating light.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

This is Janns blog about keeping veileds and is the best in my opinion. Just go through here and double check everything you have for your little guy.

I am not sure about the eye issue after seeing the pics it seems like there might be more to it than something just stuck in his eye. I havent dealt with any eye issues first hand but it looks like you might want to hit a vet and see if they can give you some medicated drops or something to help get it more normal looking.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

This is Janns blog about keeping veileds and is the best in my opinion. Just go through here and double check everything you have for your little guy.

I am not sure about the eye issue after seeing the pics it seems like there might be more to it than something just stuck in his eye. I havent dealt with any eye issues first hand but it looks like you might want to hit a vet and see if they can give you some medicated drops or something to help get it more normal looking.
Yes that will be done first thing next week, but in the meantime I should just water out his eye your said ???

Yes that will be done first thing next week, but in the meantime I should just water out his eye your said ???

I would just to make sure that the bad eye doesnt get worse or try the saline drops like what you would use for contacts. Hopefully one of the vets on here will be able to let you know if it looks infected to them or not. It does kind of to me but like I said I have no first hand experience with any eye issues.

Are you sure your light that is a uvb is 100 watt? Never heard of a 100 watt uvb unless it is a Powersun or something What brand is it? Most of use the Reptisun or Reptiglo 5.0 tube lights(compacts are ok but tubes are preferred)
As the other member said your basking temp is much too high and should be in the mid 80's. Many even basks theirs in the low 80 range. Your cage temp itself should be in the low to mid 70's. You say his poop(fecal) is green? Also, how old is he. If he is a baby or juvi he should be eating about 15 crickets a day. Is that all he will eat, or all you are offering?

Are you sure your light that is a uvb is 100 watt? Never heard of a 100 watt uvb unless it is a Powersun or something What brand is it? Most of use the Reptisun or Reptiglo 5.0 tube lights(compacts are ok but tubes are preferred)
As the other member said your basking temp is much too high and should be in the mid 80's. Many even basks theirs in the low 80 range. Your cage temp itself should be in the low to mid 70's. You say his poop(fecal) is green? Also, how old is he. If he is a baby or juvi he should be eating about 15 crickets a day. Is that all he will eat, or all you are offering?
Hello, since my last post I have taken him to the vet, the vet kept him and satated him to try and see what was wrong with his eye< she told me she was unable to see in his eye but she was going to treat it as if it was infected or he had a tumour. He has been taken Tobrex for his eye every 8 hours and nothing seems to be getting better if anything his eye is always closed and now his other eye has the same problem. I am not believing that this vet knows reps even though that say they work with exotic reps. She told me his cage should be in the 100/110 for basking where I told her that I have lowered it due to the advice I have received on here. She didn't seem like she really knows what she was talking about. The lighting that I am using is a Reptile UVB 150, it says on the box Repti Glo 10.0 Compact and the company is by Exo Terra, I am not to sure what is wrong with him at all. He sleeps all day and all night or so I think he is sleeping, maybe it just hurts to keep his eyes open. I have no idea what to do UGH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom