Seperation

Incognito

Trying to seperate my male and female from each other within 1 cage.... would a divider be pointless if it were glass? Does it have to block thier view from each other or just thier contact?

you will want to block view and contact if they are showing signs of being aggresive..using some plastic material bought from a micheals would work fine as a divider..just provide the same things for both sides, "mirror" it..

They show no signs of aggression at all. I even saw my female asleep on my males head this morning and neither were irritated. They were housed together since birth with the breeder. I just keep reading on here what a bad idea it is to have them in the same enclousure so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Yea, how large is the cage and what type of chameleons are we talking about (age too, please)? You might find it just way easier to simply buy a second cage. It might not be as cheap, but one cage usually isn't big enough for 2 adult chameleons, so you will probably need a second cage at some point anyway.

Yea, how large is the cage and what type of chameleons are we talking about (age too, please)? You might find it just way easier to simply buy a second cage. It might not be as cheap, but one cage usually isn't big enough for 2 adult chameleons, so you will probably need a second cage at some point anyway.

Oh well thats the thing Olimpia, the cage I have now is fine for two babies and they don't see each other much anyway except when she ventures to his vine (pretty rare) They are Jacksons and my male is 6 months and my female 4 months. But I ask not for this cage; but a custom one I am having made with this contractor on the main island. He is going to ride the ferry over. Its not going to be cheap by any means but I want a cage that will last and be everything I need to be and ideal for them :) the divider will be taken out for a large cage for breeding and seperate them all other times. I also would like to get a panther when I get off island. (years) And with the removable divider it would make for a much larger cage for him/her then. :D I just need to know what to tell the contractor. Do I want a glass divider or a wooden one?

A wooden divider, if they see each other they will stress out and try to fight when they get older. So wood would b best. Their reflections will also stress them if they see it in the glass they might think it's another chameleon taking their terroritory

Oooooh Ok then, then yes that's fine. I have to ask though, you'd be surprised how often people try to keep two or more animals in a small cage! Wood will be the best option then.

I have a couple cages like you are wanting to build. Sorry if I am too late:eek: What I use is the stuff you get to make signs from a sign shop. Sometimes called corrugated PVC board. This would be easy to slide in and out of the cage for times you want them to have contact and other times when not.

Or you could use peg board as a divider. I dont think theyd be able to see one another thru the small openings. You could paint it green or something and seal it. And it would allow airflow between the two sides. Ive seen some of sandrachameleons cages. She use peg board quite a bit. Ive been wanting to try using the stuff myself.

Back
Top Bottom