Senegal vs vield?

Triggerfreak

Well i originally was going to get a vield cham but when i went into my local store that has them the two he had were gone.He does plan on getting more in from his breeder but he also had a couple senegals and a jackson in.Now the wife will not allow a jackson as she thinks they are ugly but what about a senegal.How are they compared to vields as in care and requirements and colors.I know they tend to be smaller.

Well i originally was going to get a vield cham but when i went into my local store that has them the two he had were gone.He does plan on getting more in from his breeder but he also had a couple senegals and a jackson in.Now the wife will not allow a jackson as she thinks they are ugly but what about a senegal.How are they compared to vields as in care and requirements and colors.I know they tend to be smaller.

The main concern with a Senegal is they are most likely wc imports that have not gotten perfect care. You could end up needing a vet to treat stress, dehydration, parasites and any injuries from all the shipping it's gone through before reaching the store. Senegals won't show as many dramatic color changes as veileds and yes, they are smaller. Not a bad thing necessarily. Stress shows in a pattern of small black dots over the background green. Their green is beautiful and they are underrated chams IMHO. If the cham is female most likely it is gravid...and you'll have to be prepared to deal with any eggs she might lay plus the risks of eggbinding. I haven't kept Senegals but have heard that they are pretty shy too.

But, if you like the appearance and personality of one that's most important...get the cham you really want rather than settle for something you won't be as interested in. Just be prepared to accept that there is less thorough husbandry information out there, that the cham might have unseen problems, and that it was probably taken out of the wild.

i have a veiled and he is my little pride and joy. if it is your first cham i would highly concider the veiled as it seem easy to find lots of info on their care. i also chose to get a male due to the fact that i felt i could learn more about proper husbandry without having to concider all the egg issues with a female. ( the females look so presious tho )
just my opinion, be sure to fill us in and post some pics of your new one and its setup.

The main concern with a Senegal is they are most likely wc imports that have not gotten perfect care. You could end up needing a vet to treat stress, dehydration, parasites and any injuries from all the shipping it's gone through before reaching the store. Senegals won't show as many dramatic color changes as veileds and yes, they are smaller. Not a bad thing necessarily. Stress shows in a pattern of small black dots over the background green. Their green is beautiful and they are underrated chams IMHO. If the cham is female most likely it is gravid...and you'll have to be prepared to deal with any eggs she might lay plus the risks of eggbinding. I haven't kept Senegals but have heard that they are pretty shy too.

But, if you like the appearance and personality of one that's most important...get the cham you really want rather than settle for something you won't be as interested in. Just be prepared to accept that there is less thorough husbandry information out there, that the cham might have unseen problems, and that it was probably taken out of the wild.

Exactly!!!

One good thing about being able to to get a senegal from a pet shop is you can go check him out first instead of an importer sending you a beat up, stressed out specimen. If this is the cham you want go to the store. Ask if you can hold it. You want to make sure it has a strong grip, get it to open its mouth or do it yourself so you can check inside and make sure there is not excessive mucus or any signs of infection in the mouth. Cheeks should not be indented and the pads at the top of the head should not be indented. THey should also not be super chubby but this would come from over feeding and not so bad for a WC because it would be easier to restrict its diet and make it loose weight rather than getting an emaciated one that needs to put on weight.

I agree with getting the cham you want. If you want a veiled there are lots of great breeders on the internet who can ship you one. Shipping is not that stressful for them and if the breeder is good they should be able to ship one in colder weather but not super cold. Flchams.com would be a good place to buy a veiled from the internet. There are also other companies that have a bad name. If you are interested in getting one from the internet you can feel free to shoot me a PM and I will tell you who to stay away from IMO:)

Yeah i plan on getting a vield cham and a male.He has a great breeder for the vields and should have more in a couple weeks.And he is going to hold them for a week or so to make sure they all are doing great in the store before he releases them.I just did not know how close the two species would be or not.They look similar as babies.

Yeah i plan on getting a vield cham and a male.He has a great breeder for the vields and should have more in a couple weeks.And he is going to hold them for a week or so to make sure they all are doing great in the store before he releases them.I just did not know how close the two species would be or not.They look similar as babies.

If this will be your first cham, don't take a tiny hatchling. They can be tricky to acclimate and can crash pretty quickly if you aren't familiar yet with early signs of trouble. Hold off for a cham about 3-4 months old...easier to feed, not as prone to dehydration, a bit more forgiving of newbie mistakes. Also, out of any egg clutch some babies are just not destined to survive. If you wait until they are older those weak babies have already been lost.

Back
Top Bottom