Senegal chameleon

It's like the one on the right. But it's a 40 gal tall so its alot taller than that one. That would be amazing. If u could help me find one.
Screen is the way to go, it provides air flow, and an easier for your Cham to get around, I know that mine is so used to screen that If she sees anything that she’s interested in, she will loose her mind over getting a grip on it.

Do you have a dripper going?
No dripper, they told us that it would be a waste of money to do that or a mister/fogger. Also said glass would be better but when we went to the vet I told them what they told me and they were like ummmm, that's not right at all. So I'm not sure. They could have no knowledge on cham at all... ik the guy said ours was going to be adopted before we got him but he went to bite the guy and the people didn't think he was nice so they passed. I also know that when I was looking in the enclosure that my cham was in there were free roaming crickets that didnt look like they were dusted with anything.

They don’t become calcium deficient in a week. Dehydration, possibly. Contact your breeder. If they don’t offer a refund or something, hopefully informing them their husbandry is incorrect will prevent them from hurting more of their chameleons.
Hello, I'm nenes husband. The vet said he has to eat, but he's not interested. We couldn't afford the recommended food, do you know a method we can get the food in his body?. We received liquid calcium and he's gotten one dose.

There are different things you can try. If he will willing drink for you. you can try slipping a feeder (super, horn or silk worms work best) into his mouth while it is open and he may eat that way. Other methods involve grinding up feeders into a liquid or paste and syringe feeding them into the very back of the mouth. Mix them with a little dilute Pedialyte to thin them water is ok if that isn't handy to start.
This link has pictures of how to hold to give food or medicine. I will get someone to attach a picture of which pipe to put it down. @Brodybreaux25 can we get a copy of that picture you use.
Medications & Veterinary Care

There are different things you can try. If he will willing drink for you. you can try slipping a feeder (super, horn or silk worms work best) into his mouth while it is open and he may eat that way. Other methods involve grinding up feeders into a liquid or paste and syringe feeding them into the very back of the mouth. Mix them with a little dilute Pedialyte to thin them water is ok if that isn't handy to start.
This link has pictures of how to hold to give food or medicine. I will get someone to attach a picture of which pipe to put it down. @Brodybreaux25 can we get a copy of that picture you use.
Medications & Veterinary Care
Thank you for the information. My wife got in contact with the breeder and told them what was going on. He said to give the meds and try feeding, after two days to bring him back and he'll do what he can.

@Timripley @Nene3395
Ok I am going to give yall the help form to fill out. We need to know what info you were actually given from this "breeder". There have been quite a few things you have mentioned that they told you to do that are very concerning to me. Please be as detailed as possible with your feedback and include pictures of his enclosure lighting down in its entirety.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

F99DCF5F-8109-4E03-B645-F6F48048BFC8.png

@Timripley @Nene3395
Ok I am going to give yall the help form to fill out. We need to know what info you were actually given from this "breeder". There have been quite a few things you have mentioned that they told you to do that are very concerning to me. Please be as detailed as possible with your feedback and include pictures of his enclosure lighting down in its entirety.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
;)

No dripper, they told us that it would be a waste of money to do that or a mister/fogger. Also said glass would be better but when we went to the vet I told them what they told me and they were like ummmm, that's not right at all. So I'm not sure. They could have no knowledge on cham at all... ik the guy said ours was going to be adopted before we got him but he went to bite the guy and the people didn't think he was nice so they passed. I also know that when I was looking in the enclosure that my cham was in there were free roaming crickets that didnt look like they were dusted with anything.
Yea the guy who gave coda to me to almost 15 to figure out the gender

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Senegal chameleon, male, and age is adolescent. 1 week he has been in our care.

Handling - first day we handled him 1 time to get him in cage but not at all for 4 days and then he declined. we dont like to handle him at all but due to him going through recovery we handle him multiple times in one day

Feeding - crickets. He only ate one since we have had him. That was on Thursday 8/15/2019. Breeder told us feed every other day. He would eat about 12 large crickets.

Supplements - no supplements as of now. Havent had him long enough.

Watering - misting the tank manually up to 4 times a day and spray cham 2 times a day. Keeping humidity at least at 60%- 80%. We mist the cage for about 1-2 mins at a time till the humidity goes to desired percentage.

Fecal Description - fecal has mucus in is has brown faeces. Will attach picture

History - we got him from a breeder that told us that because we live in Arizona that he needs to be in a glass tank due to it being hard to keep the humidity in the cage.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - cage is sort of a glass screen combo. It has 2 mesh places. One at the very top and one in the middle to get the cham out. (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Tank is a 40 tall. 24x24x40

Lighting - we have a 26 watt "all reptiles matter" Uvb bulb. We keep the light on for up to 7 hours a day.

Temperature - the ranges in the tank have been 75 degrees- 85 degrees(the cage floor only has a fake tree on it.)? Lowest overnight temp was 70. We measure these with a thermometer and hydrometer

Humidity - the humidity levels are kept between 50%- 70% because that what we were told was reccomended. We are creating this by hand spraying the tank 4 times a day.

Plants - no live plants. Have not had time to get them in there.

Placement - the cage is currently located in a closet. About 4 ft off the floor

Location - Peoria, az. Desert area

Current Problem - When we first got him he was great, nice and green wanted to come out and crawl around on us but 3 days ago he started going down hill. Day 1 We came home and he was laying flat on the bottom of the tank in the dirt and he was such a pale yellow he was almost white. We thought he was dead. My husband went in later to try to take him out to dispose of him and that's when he picked him up that's when we noticed he was still breathing. we thought he might have been cold so we put him on a very low temperature setting heating pad to try to warm him up but it wasnt helping. We got in contact with a friend and she said he might have been over heating and to let him just self regulate. The second day we took him back to the breader and they told us he looked like he could have had a upper respiratory infection (small one) and he looked dehydrated. at this point he is a bit greener that the prior day. So all the second day we watched him 24/7 made sure he was good and drinking lots of water also needed to dry him out. On day 3 he seems greener. Not to his full potential but he is very week. Doesnt seem to want to eat. Hasnt ate for 5 days now and he is very weak. Wont really gab on to anything and hold on unless he doeant want be where we are putting him but for the most part he just lays and sleeps.

On day 3 we took him to the vet and they told us that he was very dehydrated and vitamin deficiency from vitamin D also said it might be setting in the bones. We didnt have enough money to pay for all of treatment so we paid to get liquid vitamin D. The vet said that the upper ri wasnt a big issue right now due to how bad he is now.

We contacted breeder and they told us to try what we can for 2 days and if he seems worse to bring him in to them and they will do all they can to get him alive and better. If he happens to pass they would give us percentage off another animal or if we wanted money back we would have to wait for the owners to come back on the 30th.

We are unable to post a picture of the cage set up at the moment because we had to take it all apart to get the fat crickets out that were not eaten

--------------

The 2 pictures with him on the flat hand is him in my husband's hand today right before the vet. I have tagged my husband in this post.
@Timripley

Attachments

• received_492024798296390.jpeg
    received_492024798296390.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 64
  • received_2334043506703056.jpeg
    received_2334043506703056.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190819_092828.jpg
    20190819_092828.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190818_193558.jpg
    20190818_193558.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190819_135105.jpg
    20190819_135105.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190820_093740.jpg
    20190820_093740.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190820_093751.jpg
    20190820_093751.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 68
Screen is the way to go, it provides air flow, and an easier for your Cham to get around, I know that mine is so used to screen that If she sees anything that she’s interested in, she will loose her mind over getting a grip on it.
Whether you use screen or glass is entirely dependent on the natural environment of the keeper and the husbandry they provide. There is not necessarily any one "way to go". Especially when taking different types of chameleons in to consideration as well. Plenty of keepers are very successful with glass enclosures. I wish I went with glass myself.
Also the screen climbing isnt really a great sign. They could lose their grip and fall as well as rip their nails out. A lot of juvenile chams do this but they should eventually grow out of it, and it's definitely not a reason to choose screen over glass.

If there's yellow in the urate part then it's an indication of dehydration. Senegals are big drinkers...but don't spray it into his mouth...he could aspirated it. Drip it on the end of his nose at a slow rate.

Last edited:
If there's yellow in the irate part then it's an indication of dehydration. Senegals are big drinkers...but don't spray it into his mouth...he could aspirated it. Drop it on the end of his nose at a slow rate.
Thank you. We will keep trying to get him to drink.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Senegal chameleon, male, and age is adolescent. 1 week he has been in our care.

Handling - first day we handled him 1 time to get him in cage but not at all for 4 days and then he declined. we dont like to handle him at all but due to him going through recovery we handle him multiple times in one day

Feeding - crickets. He only ate one since we have had him. That was on Thursday 8/15/2019. Breeder told us feed every other day. He would eat about 12 large crickets.

Supplements - no supplements as of now. Havent had him long enough.

Watering - misting the tank manually up to 4 times a day and spray cham 2 times a day. Keeping humidity at least at 60%- 80%. We mist the cage for about 1-2 mins at a time till the humidity goes to desired percentage.

Fecal Description - fecal has mucus in is has brown faeces. Will attach picture

History - we got him from a breeder that told us that because we live in Arizona that he needs to be in a glass tank due to it being hard to keep the humidity in the cage.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - cage is sort of a glass screen combo. It has 2 mesh places. One at the very top and one in the middle to get the cham out. (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Tank is a 40 tall. 24x24x40

Lighting - we have a 26 watt "all reptiles matter" Uvb bulb. We keep the light on for up to 7 hours a day.

Temperature - the ranges in the tank have been 75 degrees- 85 degrees(the cage floor only has a fake tree on it.)? Lowest overnight temp was 70. We measure these with a thermometer and hydrometer

Humidity - the humidity levels are kept between 50%- 70% because that what we were told was reccomended. We are creating this by hand spraying the tank 4 times a day.

Plants - no live plants. Have not had time to get them in there.

Placement - the cage is currently located in a closet. About 4 ft off the floor

Location - Peoria, az. Desert area

Current Problem - When we first got him he was great, nice and green wanted to come out and crawl around on us but 3 days ago he started going down hill. Day 1 We came home and he was laying flat on the bottom of the tank in the dirt and he was such a pale yellow he was almost white. We thought he was dead. My husband went in later to try to take him out to dispose of him and that's when he picked him up that's when we noticed he was still breathing. we thought he might have been cold so we put him on a very low temperature setting heating pad to try to warm him up but it wasnt helping. We got in contact with a friend and she said he might have been over heating and to let him just self regulate. The second day we took him back to the breader and they told us he looked like he could have had a upper respiratory infection (small one) and he looked dehydrated. at this point he is a bit greener that the prior day. So all the second day we watched him 24/7 made sure he was good and drinking lots of water also needed to dry him out. On day 3 he seems greener. Not to his full potential but he is very week. Doesnt seem to want to eat. Hasnt ate for 5 days now and he is very weak. Wont really gab on to anything and hold on unless he doeant want be where we are putting him but for the most part he just lays and sleeps.

On day 3 we took him to the vet and they told us that he was very dehydrated and vitamin deficiency from vitamin D also said it might be setting in the bones. We didnt have enough money to pay for all of treatment so we paid to get liquid vitamin D. The vet said that the upper ri wasnt a big issue right now due to how bad he is now.

We contacted breeder and they told us to try what we can for 2 days and if he seems worse to bring him in to them and they will do all they can to get him alive and better. If he happens to pass they would give us percentage off another animal or if we wanted money back we would have to wait for the owners to come back on the 30th.

We are unable to post a picture of the cage set up at the moment because we had to take it all apart to get the fat crickets out that were not eaten

--------------

The 2 pictures with him on the flat hand is him in my husband's hand today right before the vet. I have tagged my husband in this post.
@Timripley
Ok read through this link it will give you a lot of info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/flapneck/ I am trying to get info on the proper UVI level for your guy. I know you will need a T5HO linear light fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb but I am not sure of the UVI levels yet for distance. So that is what I am checking on for you. These are not ones we typically see here so I need to pull info together to give you proper feedback. Lighting and supplementation is going to be important as well but I need to make sure I give you the correct advice. Can you take pics of the full enclosure lighting down for me as well?

Ok read through this link it will give you a lot of info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/flapneck/ I am trying to get info on the proper UVI level for your guy. I know you will need a T5HO linear light fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb but I am not sure of the UVI levels yet for distance. So that is what I am checking on for you. These are not ones we typically see here so I need to pull info together to give you proper feedback. Lighting and supplementation is going to be important as well but I need to make sure I give you the correct advice. Can you take pics of the full enclosure lighting down for me as well?
I really appreciate all of this. Our cham passed last night.

Back
Top Bottom