Semi-Free range idea?

FranPhilip

So, I have my pretty much un-used closet in my new house I moved to, I have not been on here much, been working a ton and have not gotten the time go come say hi to everyone!

I still do not have Philip over here, my mom is caring for him at the moment, because the enclosure I built him is bigger than most doors, so it won't fit in the house, or in my room. Estimated about 200$ to take the window out and back in so I can get the enclosure in....:/

SO! This brought me to the idea that, I have a really big closet in my room, and I don't even use it to be honest. So I was thinking about maybe building a big frame around it, making it like a giant enclosure, with half of it being closed by a door, and the other, when I am home of course, being open with some big trees. I was thinking half closed because I could do all of his feedings and mistings on that side, and make some good drainage on that side. Just an idea, because I would love to get my little guy over here, though my mom loves him to bits and pieces, he is still my little buddy....haha:eek: Anyways, some ideas would be awesome, the only issue I have is the drainage and feeding areas, otherwise I would make it a big jungle of a closet hahaha!

Any input would be phenomenal! Thanks guys :)

I think some other people have made huge enclosures like that. Maybe check out the enclosure picture thread?

I think I saw someone make an enclosure out of a closet or some strange small sunroom or something. There is a neat parsons room that you could get an idea from.

I think it's a good idea, but keep in mind...

I haven't seen this advice ANYWHERE on chamforums.

Humidity WILL wrinkle the paint off of the walls. So please consider the damage you might be doing to the walls.

I think some other people have made huge enclosures like that. Maybe check out the enclosure picture thread?

I think I saw someone make an enclosure out of a closet or some strange small sunroom or something. There is a neat parsons room that you could get an idea from.

Humidity WILL wrinkle the paint off of the walls. So please consider the damage you might be doing to the walls.

Just use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-Willi...F8&qid=1373925032&sr=1-15&keywords=bath+paint

Put that in the corner where you run misters or humidifiers. Heck, if you have the time, do the whole room. Its the same paint Im putting in my room build. Its the same that goes in bathrooms to avoid peeling when I have those steamy shower moments.

I just wanted to say that regular paint, without given any thought beforehand, WILL wrinkle up and shrivel off the walls.

I never gave it much thought but my 16x16x20" cage being misted every day caused a spot directly behind it to crack and fall off the walls.

So that's a lesson learned.

Another thing is you do not want the floor to be made of wood. If the entire closet is going to be the cage, you might as well replace the current light with basking lights and a uvb bulb. Put sort of a steel mesh cage around it so there is no way the cham can reach it and burn himself.

Also you should probably consider/invest in converting that area of the closet floor into a fiberglass tub kind of thing. Automatic drainage like a bathtub.

So you can run misters all you want in your room and no drips get out.

Just an idea

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 116
I was also highly considering elevating the floor of it, kind of making a frame for below where the misting will be, so I can just put some big rocks on the frame, and put a bucket below it. Poor mans drainage system ;) hahaha And when I say a bucket, i mean a large tub, you know what i mean. Haha :D

:eek: oh good to know!

I think it's a good idea but you have to make sure the mist isn't dripping anywhere on the other floor without drainage.

By the way the entire floor should be converted into a tub sort of drain anyway, because the chams poop can easily be washed out that way. Otherwise you'll have to take a scraper to the floor every so often. Who knows, his poop spot might be on your floor where there isn't drainage.

I think it's a good idea but you have to make sure the mist isn't dripping anywhere on the other floor without drainage.

By the way the entire floor should be converted into a tub sort of drain anyway, because the chams poop can easily be washed out that way. Otherwise you'll have to take a scraper to the floor every so often. Who knows, his poop spot might be on your floor where there isn't drainage.

Yeah that is a good idea, I of course will put much more thought into it before I do it, but I have the Chameleon craze, and every fiber of my soul wants to get another one! DANGIT WHY MUST THEY BE SO AWESOME?!

Back
Top Bottom