Semi free range bio active enclosure

Hey so I am late to the party. I have open enclosures that are bioactive. First you will not be able to recycle water, at least not without great effort. So you will have two options. A large revivor or a direct line tapped into plumbing run through RO (pricy) . You will need to drain the water away. For your recycle system you would need it to run through many many plants to filter, you would then still need Final filtering to simulate rain. Misting with recycled water without final filtering would pose many health risks.
The second problem you will run into is night time temperature drop and humidity rise. Dat time is fine as the need it to dry out. If you were going to do complete freestanding like you show you could simply make a curtin to pull around, or on the sides to hold in humidity. I have a corner that is divided and enclosed 3 sides by plastic to hold in humidity. I use a 3 head fogger with a 5 gal bucket, also use this as my mist revivor. I close off the normal vent to the room. I have and exhaust and intake system in my window. During the day I use exhaust, constantly sucking air out past the enclosure., at night I run intake once the temp goes below 60 out side. I am in Oregon so this is average night temp of 55. With the cold air in and the fogger I achieve 90+ humidity with fog and <65f degrees.
As for the tub part that holds the plants. Anything that is the right size for you can work. Just make sure it can drain, and has a proper drain layer. My sides that have cuc are only a couple inches and I do not find any isopods around the house.
Here are some pics, and my beardie I recently got set up.

IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1558.jpg

Thanks for replying and your useful feedback. Love your settings 👌🏻👌🏻

Misting with recycled water without final filtering would pose many health risks.
That’s a really good point, haven’t thought about it. Thinking about it makes 100% sense.

I have and exhaust and intake system in my window. During the day I use exhaust, constantly sucking air out past the enclosure., at night I run intake once the temp goes below 60 out side. I am in Oregon so this is average night temp of 55. With the cold air in and the fogger I achieve 90+ humidity with fog and <65f degrees
Amazing! Unfortunately this want work at my place, because extreme temperature ranges, varying from 20 till 68 during nighttime.

Those cylinders remind me of concrete test cylinders, but shorter. What are they?
Is that carpet substrate :eek:

So the plats that is what I thought. But he doesn’t touch them. I just did the bio-active part , but the plants have been in there for months now. I though they would be eaten as well. He hides in the big one sometimes but that is it.
I do like my big enclosures lol

The whole setup in this pic reminds me of (what might be) a dinosaur habitat at a zoo! :LOL:

It looks great from here. You know that beardie is (eventually) going to decimate those plants, right? ;) I'd also bet he'll escape that enclosure. 😁

So those round things are decorative garden borders from Lowe’s. They are just wood. I thought the plants would get eaten and they were originally in pots. He doesn’t eat them though. I do like my oversized enclosures. The base is two utility tubs cut down. I have coarse sand over potting soil. It ended up making a perfect ground mix. I feed him in a dish, but the sand is coarse so it doesn’t stick to everything like a fine or play sand will.
It had a higher front but my wife took it 😕 He will jump that yes. Oddly he hasn’t in a week he likes his enclosure. But he will get out he has before with the low front. It is my son’s room so we keep it closed for now.

Last edited:
So those round things are decorative garden borders from Lowe’s. They are just wood. I thought the plants would get eaten and they were originally in pots. He doesn’t eat them though. I do like my oversized enclosures. The base is two utility tubs cut down. I have coarse sand over potting soil. It ended up making a perfect ground mix. I feed him in a dish, but the sand is coarse so it doesn’t stick to everything like a fine or play sand will.
It had a higher front but my wife took it 😕 He will jump that yes. Oddly he hasn’t in a week he likes his enclosure. But he will get out he has before with the low front. It is my son’s room so we keep it closed for now.

Pretty sick beardie set up casque. Good info although I don't find it necessary for the entire rooms humidity to be 100% if you just have a fogger running over the chameleon. I have a montane, which need even higher humidity than veileds, and my guy has been perfectly hydrated for months while I run a dehumidifier in the same room with just fog blasting on him at night(I also do a weekly shower for 1-2 hrs on mist). This would be tricky though if your chameleon sleeps all over the place because you'd have to keep moving the fogger, luckily for me my guy is in the same spot every night.

Pretty sick beardie set up casque. Good info although I don't find it necessary for the entire rooms humidity to be 100% if you just have a fogger running over the chameleon. I have a montane, which need even higher humidity than veileds, and my guy has been perfectly hydrated for months while I run a dehumidifier in the same room with just fog blasting on him at night(I also do a weekly shower for 1-2 hrs on mist). This would be tricky though if your chameleon sleeps all over the place because you'd have to keep moving the fogger, luckily for me my guy is in the same spot every night.
I fog the same way. Mine both have regular sleeping areas so it is not to difficult luckily. But as you say the whole house doesn't need it. I have gotten good at micro climates in my house. lol

Found something interesting. Instead of watering the planter, I can use this system for dewatering it. The water reservoir is triple the water tank of the mister and that’s enough for 5 days misting. Probably the soil holds for even more days and when I lucky the tree uses the rest of water in the reservoir.
0AA42971-C210-46DE-BE0B-328E389662AF.jpeg
FE5D1BFB-2ED4-49C5-9392-AC96CB96FF49.jpeg
8F6D4726-0800-4B80-B910-A1D3F193E960.jpeg
1E9A81DE-7CD0-447F-9422-196C2A1A1139.jpeg

I will use Schefflera tree, like pictured, it’s addable with additional branches and maybe some extra plants (hanging the pots directly to the stem). The planter / soil will be filled with some smaller plants. Got my ideas, to be continued........

31B8F2A0-818F-4994-A309-5DCFFD695A35.jpeg

Wow that planter is HUGE! Just wondering what is your setup plan for filtering the water? I think it’s a great idea for consolidating the enclosure setup. 🤓

Wow that planter is HUGE! Just wondering what is your setup plan for filtering the water? I think it’s a great idea for consolidating the enclosure setup. 🤓
Don’t know yet. The reservoir is large enough to divide somehow. Being one half as tank for the mister and one half for collecting water. Can use the pipe for normally fill the tank for pumping out the waste water. Still time enough to overthinking it 😌

O my, it´s on!! Found a crazy ass bargain at a local florist and it´s insane! Got this beauty, 31,5" tall and 24" wide for just $89,00 yesss $89,00

This will be the centre piece and put at the bottom the rattlesnake plant. Behind it I´ll build-up a branch network and will wrap it up with the Madagascar Jasmine and probably a pothos to climb down.
Bonsai.jpg

Bonsai 2.jpg

Also received the planter which looks really great, with it´s 24" diameter and 22" height. The drainage layer with the dewatering will definitely be no problem and will be easy. Gonna use the floor protecting mat, for creating a 10" raised edge. The trolley goes neatly underneath, useful for summers, everything can be rolled easily towards the sun.

gfg.jpg

fgbhgf.jpg

dfg.jpg

tdd.jpg

Will assembly I stand from scaffolding tubes (material shown in picture), for mounting the light fixtures, misting nozzles and fogging tube.

d899f3cf2fce83a39139fb42b85b9b89bb004723.jpg

Wow, I'm jealous. I would be tempted to sell it. There aren't a lot of buyers, but it could easily go for $5000
🤔 🤔 Guessing its age at least 20 years old, regarding its height. I already stopped searching for one, because I wanted at least 4´of height, but that´s crazy expensive and really difficult to find. Now I need to change design due the heigh, however I think its worth it 😇

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom