Seeking expert opinion on Reptaid

KingJulien

Not to start a war over reptaid, but what evidence is there showing that it actually kills parasites or bacteria? My studies up to now would point to most herbal and homeopathic remedies being useless or marginally effective at best.

This is not to say that there isn't empirical evidence that it is helpful, but notice on the reptaid website that the link that is supposed to direct you to more information directs you here: http://www.biochemresearch.com/

It is very concerning to me that I could wait for an herbal remedy to work and it might not kill the bacteria, or it might help for a period of time leaving the bacterial infection to show its ugly head at a later date.

I am certainly not an expert, so I would love to hear the opinion of a qualified vet or scientist.

Well for one I have used it on a baby panther cham like Ive already said and it saved her life and boosted her immune system and her appitiete and now shes on the road to recovery.

Where as when she was on baytril she was lathargic, didnt eat much, devolped a case of gular which is a sign of the beginnings of kidney failure which is also a danger of baytril.
Also the stress of having to administer the baytril and the stress of the URI its self lowers the immune system :/

I mean im no scientist either or a vet but there are a good number of testimonials.
http://www.reptaid.com/testimonials.htm

I cant vouch for the parasite removal or anything like that and you can choose wether or not to believe the testomonials.

But I CAN vouch for the URI.
It saved my babys life.

Also a URI is a nasty thing.
It can take up to two months in some cases to be 100% rid of it.
I know a forum member on here that has had it last up to that long.
I would rather my chams be on something herbal than baytril for 2 months striaght in some cases...like I said baytril has a very ugly side to it and I would only use it in last resort cases.

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

I just can't buy a product to treat an infection when the label clearly states that it won't! Of course, if there is scientific evidence I would really love to know about it.

Im no expert but I believe it if you do. From what I understand (and im almost always wrong) is that medicine is given in miniscule amounts but the pill you get is filled with fillers to make the medicine big enough for you to hold and swallow. I've also heard that most medicines are placebos anyhow.

If you belive, then I belive. I think reptaid is a vessle to help you transfer love, caringness, and healing thoughts to your chameleon, and if you belive and focus on the fact that your cham now has something to help fight the bacteria, your hope and energy will soar.

But then maybe im just crazy.

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

I just can't buy a product to treat an infection when the label clearly states that it won't! Of course, if there is scientific evidence I would really love to know about it.

Um, hello! This is the United States of America...or sometimes known as the Lawyer States of Lawsuit. Have you read some of the agreements to license contracts, cell phone contracts, prescription drugs, health waivers, or any investment/stock agreements...etc...etc...etc?

I do not believe parasite infestation is a "disease" but feel free to shed some light for me. I personally have treated many chams with baytril and reptaid and I'll tell you reptaid is my "go to" treatment for parasites or uri's. When conditions have worsened I have escalated by using baytril but not without it's unwanted (aforementioned) complications. ALWAYS take every measure to hydrate the heck outta your chams when treating for almost anything. Water is essential and way underrated imho.

Truth is, personal experience with both vet prescribed medications and other herbal treatments will be the strongest evidence for you. Let us know what you think when you've tried.

FrogtheCham
We use Reptaid for ALL chameleons or geckos that come into our shop. Especially wild caught animals. They all come over with something and we treat them all.
As for a respiratory infection, Reptaid is absolutely the best product available for treating a URI. We have not used Baytril or any other drug antibiotic in over 2 years. Reptaid can help knock out a URI, even a serious one in 3-4 days without the harmful side effects of Baytril. And Reptaid does not kill the natural gut flora like drugs so you don't need a probiotic with it.
Please do not hesitate to treat your WC meller with reptaid. I understand the stress but you can easily inject a dubia or a large cricket with it (in the soft belly) and then feed the bug to the meller with feeding tongs.
If you have more questions you can call me anytime. :)
Elliot 253-576-3309

If there were EXPERTS on reptaid Id say elliot and sandy are them.
Since they did help come up with it.
And thats all they use.
And heres a direct quote from elliot.

It cleared up a mild case of pin worms that one of my chameleons had. pre reptaid there were worms in the fecal test. 2 tests post reptaid, no worms. thats evidence enough for me.

I should say that my faith was limited. At the same time one of my other chameleons had a far greater count of pinworms. His case being more severe, I used the tried and true panacur for him. His pinworms also cleared up, and he was also clear two tests post treatment.

I also feel Reptaid aided a good shed in a chameleon that had had a skin issue.

certainly, it doesnt hurt.

A statement about not having been tested by your FDA just means that - its not tested by them. and without that, I believe you are required to put the statement about not curing, for legal reasons.

Um, hello! This is the United States of America...or sometimes known as the Lawyer States of Lawsuit. Have you read some of the agreements to license contracts, cell phone contracts, prescription drugs, health waivers, or any investment/stock agreements...etc...etc...etc?

I do not believe parasite infestation is a "disease" but feel free to shed some light for me. I personally have treated many chams with baytril and reptaid and I'll tell you reptaid is my "go to" treatment for parasites or uri's. When conditions have worsened I have escalated by using baytril but not without it's unwanted (aforementioned) complications. ALWAYS take every measure to hydrate the heck outta your chams when treating for almost anything. Water is essential and way underrated imho.

Truth is, personal experience with both vet prescribed medications and other herbal treatments will be the strongest evidence for you. Let us know what you think when you've tried.

Hello to you too. I am aware of the idea of limiting liability, thanks for asking. They mentioned that a few times in Business school. But they also discussed medial issues and disease in my pre-nursing science classes, so if you don't mind I'll help you out:

"dis·ease   /dɪˈziz/ Show Spelled [dih-zeez] Show IPA noun, verb, -eased, -eas·ing.
–noun
1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.
2. any abnormal condition in a plant that interferes with its vital physiological processes, caused by pathogenic microorganisms, parasites, unfavorable environmental, genetic, or nutritional factors, etc.
3. any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society: His fascination with executions is a disease.
4. decomposition of a material under special circumstances: tin disease.
–verb (used with object)
5. to affect with disease; make ill. "

Personal experience does teach us a lot of things, but my personal experience and education teach me that looking for scientific evidence is the quickest and safest way.

It cleared up a mild case of pin worms that one of my chameleons had. pre reptaid there were worms in the fecal test. 2 tests post reptaid, no worms. thats evidence enough for me.

I should say that my faith was limited. At the same time one of my other chameleons had a far greater count of pinworms. His case being more severe, I used the tried and true panacur for him. His pinworms also cleared up, and he was also clear two tests post treatment.

I also feel Reptaid aided a good shed in a chameleon that had had a skin issue.

certainly, it doesnt hurt.

A statement about not having been tested by your FDA just means that - its not tested by them. and without that, I believe you are required to put the statement about not curing, for legal reasons.

Thanks Sandra. That is the most I would expect from any herbal type remedy also, that it would help in a mild infection.

Also reptaid has states this in its brochure packet that you get after you purchase it:

2. BACTERIAL INFECTION - One of the more serious medical conditions which reptiles encounter is a respiratory infection. It can be treated with antibiotics but the side effects of such treatment often include loss of appetite and general malaise. Eye infections are also common among some breed of reptiles. Reptaid has proven very effective in the treatment of bacterial infections. Instead of a loss of appetite, the reptile usually responds with a very noticeable increase in appetite and vitality after
just 2 days of treatment. And where antibiotics failed to work Reptaid has helped the reptile completely defeat the infection with no reoccurrence.

If you want to call them and ask them for the scientific info then heres the number:
Amber technology
801-966-8895
877-727-8243

Hello to you too. I am aware of the idea of limiting liability, thanks for asking. They mentioned that a few times in Business school. But they also discussed medial issues and disease in my pre-nursing science classes, so if you don't mind I'll help you out:

"dis·ease   /dɪˈziz/ Show Spelled [dih-zeez] Show IPA noun, verb, -eased, -eas·ing.
–noun
1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.
2. any abnormal condition in a plant that interferes with its vital physiological processes, caused by pathogenic microorganisms, parasites, unfavorable environmental, genetic, or nutritional factors, etc.
3. any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society: His fascination with executions is a disease.
4. decomposition of a material under special circumstances: tin disease.
–verb (used with object)
5. to affect with disease; make ill. "

Personal experience does teach us a lot of things, but my personal experience and education teach me that looking for scientific evidence is the quickest and safest way.

I understand your position and I just wanted to tell you mine.

Reptaid is probably too new and not widely used enough to financially support scientific trial and other such evidence. (As is the case for most of all the new meds, supplements, and health programs/diets out there.) For now, we can only tell you how our experiences have shaped our own perceptions of Reptaid. A sort of chamforums impromptu consumer's review... also check out the mountain of threads similar to this one using the search function.

I understand your position and I just wanted to tell you mine.
Reptaid is probably too new and not widely used enough to financially support scientific trial and other such evidence. (As is the case for most of all the new meds, supplements, and health programs/diets out there.) For now, we can only tell you how our experiences have shaped our own perceptions of Reptaid. A sort of chamforums impromptu consumer's review... also check out the mountain of threads similar to this one using the search function.

Maybe next time you could do that without the attitude, or questioning my intelligence. I was simply asking for expert opinion.

I don't *think* he was questioning your intelligence. It is never safe to assume that everyone is familiar with forums and the search feature, etc. As for attitude, I could easily read your posts as having as much as any replies. The typed word is easily misconstrued, though. Like I said in my prior post, it might be worth it to send an email to Tim.

I appreciate the advice about emailing Tim. I may try that. As for attitude, I don't think I had any disrespect for anyone's experience or opinion at all. Those have value. I simply asked for expert opinion.

As for other people's statements, I will let them speak for themselves.

Tryed it.

Not to start a war over reptaid, but what evidence is there showing that it actually kills parasites or bacteria? My studies up to now would point to most herbal and homeopathic remedies being useless or marginally effective at best.

This is not to say that there isn't empirical evidence that it is helpful, but notice on the reptaid website that the link that is supposed to direct you to more information directs you here: http://www.biochemresearch.com/

It is very concerning to me that I could wait for an herbal remedy to work and it might not kill the bacteria, or it might help for a period of time leaving the bacterial infection to show its ugly head at a later date.

I am certainly not an expert, so I would love to hear the opinion of a qualified vet or scientist.

I tryed the product but it didn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom