Seeing reflection in glass

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
Today, for the first time ever, I noticed my cham attacking the glass. I’m assuming it’s because of his reflection. Nothing has changed so idk why he started now. He seems really stressed out. What should I do?

Today, for the first time ever, I noticed my cham attacking the glass. I’m assuming it’s because of his reflection. Nothing has changed so idk why he started now. He seems really stressed out. What should I do?
Could he be approaching sexual maturity and becoming territorial? Somewhere close to a year old, think all you can do is remove the reflection maybe changing to a screen cage if the stressing himself out persists

Could he be approaching sexual maturity and becoming territorial? Somewhere close to a year old, think all you can do is remove the reflection maybe changing to a screen cage if the stressing himself out persists
When I got him they said he was between 6-9 months old. From other people’s opinions, I’ve been hearing that it is probably closer to 6, but he could just be small.

When I got him they said he was between 6-9 months old. From other people’s opinions, I’ve been hearing that it is probably closer to 6, but he could just be small.
Veiled chameleon can breed around 6 months & panthers from around 8 months so yeah this is likely to be the reason he's stressing at the sight of himself not sure what species chameleon you are keeping.

The problem usually occurs when the inside of the enclosure is brighter than the outside. The dark(er) background accentuates the reflection.

I've heard of people using anti-glare film on the inside of the glass. There are also spray versions. IDK about toxicity issues, so I'd check that out.

Also, a busy light-colored wrapping paper on the outside can kill the reflection enough.

I had one that would see itself in the hood reflector. Solved that by not having ambient light in the room. It would seem you need the opposite. Maybe a 6500k led grow light on the outside of the glass?

I had one that would see itself in the hood reflector. Solved that by not having ambient light in the room. It would seem you need the opposite. Maybe a 6500k led grow light on the outside of the glass?
Did you say that the way you intended? :unsure:

Another way of looking at it... If you pass by a vacant storefront, the front window can make a great mirror, because the area behind the glass is dark. If the store window is brightly lit, there's very little reflection.

Did you say that the way you intended? :unsure:

Another way of looking at it... If you pass by a vacant storefront, the front window can make a great mirror, because the area behind the glass is dark. If the store window is brightly lit, there's very little reflection.

So lighting from the outside of the cage, through the glass, would not help?

Sorry to resurrect but I’m glad I found this thread. My old veiled (DOB ~3/2012) is going to outlive his enclosure and glass seems to be on a revival. Most of the time in the push-pull of glass vs screen discussions reflection stress is secondary -if mentioned at all- to the issue of RI.

It seems like it’s best to go with a screen cage given a humid environment and leave it at that - this is my case. At the driest time of year I’m at 48-50% humidity before misting. Doesn’t seem worth fiddling with lights to reduce reflection.

From what I’m reading here and elsewhere glass has greatest benefit if you’re in a super dry climate where u can’t attain correct, consistent humidity w/ (clean) mister, fogger, dripper. Most commercial glass tanks are on the smallish side and spendy IME. Even with great ventilation creating chimney effect it can’t come close to natural airflow in the wild. Also seems like glass is favored by folks who started keeping chams early on in the hobby.

Are there any problems with that analysis? I know what to do for my circumstances but I want to be helpful to those from other places weighing out pros vs cons.

It seems like it’s best to go with a screen cage given a humid environment and leave it at that - this is my case. At the driest time of year I’m at 48-50% humidity before misting. Doesn’t seem worth fiddling with lights to reduce reflection.
:unsure: If you're going with a screen enclosure, reflection isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue at all, so no need to fiddle with lighting. :unsure:

Are there any problems with that analysis? I know what to do for my circumstances but I want to be helpful to those from other places weighing out pros vs cons.
There's a third (at least, and probably more for the imaginative & innovative) option—hybrid enclosures: Solid (but not glass, so reflection is no longer an issue) sides & back with mesh front & top for ventilation.

Some are using PVC board for this; others are finding other waterproof materials or barriers. Some involve printed (usually rain forest) backgrounds; others use egg crate or similar for plants to climb on; others still build or sculpt more elaborate backdrops out of UF foam, coco coir, etc.

There are lots of ideas represented in the Enclosure Picture threads in this forum and on google.

Back
Top Bottom