Securing branches on a Reptibreeze

jtimen

Hi All,
I've read some posts about mounting branches horizontally in a Reptibteeze using small screws or tacks through the screen. I love the idea, but is a Reptibteeze strong enough to support a branch secured like that, with a veiled perched happily on it? The screen is mesh, not metal. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

I use the "thumb tack method" and it is working great for me. The screen might stretch a little, but no biggie.

I prop up branches up from you're potted plants then secure the horizontal branches to those with zip tires. I try not to go through the screen. It seems to rip.

I use the fishing line method. Tie the fishing line around the branches end tightly, then knot at the end of the branch and then through the screen lightly knotting it over about an inch of area. It you're careful, no stretch on the screen. Pull too hard and well . . . you know.

Someone people put holes through the branch and use fishing line or some type of light wire. Some people use thumb tacks at the ends. In all cases it helps to use branches that fit snug against the screen. Or you can go with Dragon Ledges found at Dragon Stand and not worry, so I hear, about the screen at all.

I prop up branches up from you're potted plants then secure the horizontal branches to those with zip tires. I try not to go through the screen. It seems to rip.
Sounds good, too. This brings up another question. Do you "hide" your pots or try to blend them in? If so, how?

H
I use the fishing line method. Tie the fishing line around the branches end tightly, then knot at the end of the branch and then through the screen lightly knotting it over about an inch of area. It you're careful, no stretch on the screen. Pull too hard and well . . . you know.

Someone people put holes through the branch and use fishing line or some type of light wire. Some people use thumb tacks at the ends. In all cases it helps to use branches that fit snug against the screen. Or you can go with Dragon Ledges found at Dragon Stand and not worry, so I hear, about the screen at all.
e

Hey there, thanks for the info. Sorry about all the screw ups on my posts today. I'm (obviously) new to the whole forum posting thing. Maybe one of the moderators can delete some of my screw ups! Thanks again!

I prefer screw ups....shows your human.:ROFLMAO: I always have the problem where spell check changes my word and I don't see it until after I press " post reply". Word is never close to what I wanted.:confused:

I don't have the best picture of it, but what I do is I get this lattice stuff and put it on 3 sides of the cages. I secure it at the top around the support beams with sturdy wire and then a couple places through the cage, I stick the lattice in more firmly with a couple thumb tacks like people do to the perches.

Then I zip tie all my vines and what not to that lattice instead of the cage. I find it puts a lot less wear on the screen itself :)

Attachments

• cages.jpg
    cages.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 342
I have been using a combination of coated screws (reduce rust forming) and neodymium magnets. I drill small pilot holes in the ends of the branches or bamboo and put a screw in. For small branches this is all you need. Put the branch ends where you want them and place the magnets on the outside. No holes in the screens and you can adjust them as needed. For larger branches and Chams, I add a magnet to the end of each branch along with the screw, use a little epoxy around the edges, and then use magnets on the outside to secure them. You can get a variety of sizes of round magnets on Amazon.com. Watch your fingers though! They are small but very strong and tend to "snap" together when you put loose ones near each other. Also, I tried using hot glue to secure the magnets at first, but found that the magnets can break the bond, so I switched to 2 part epoxy. Works great for my panthers, Jacksons, and Veileds.

do the neodium magnets stick to the screw well @KevinMcI ? I was doing this for my new set up but I glued a magenet to the end of the branch and also will use one on the outside to hold it in place. I will be able to cut down on how many magnets i need if the hold well to the screw!!

I have been using a combination of coated screws (reduce rust forming) and neodymium magnets. I drill small pilot holes in the ends of the branches or bamboo and put a screw in. For small branches this is all you need. Put the branch ends where you want them and place the magnets on the outside. No holes in the screens and you can adjust them as needed. For larger branches and Chams, I add a magnet to the end of each branch along with the screw, use a little epoxy around the edges, and then use magnets on the outside to secure them. You can get a variety of sizes of round magnets on Amazon.com. Watch your fingers though! They are small but very strong and tend to "snap" together when you put loose ones near each other. Also, I tried using hot glue to secure the magnets at first, but found that the magnets can break the bond, so I switched to 2 part epoxy. Works great for my panthers, Jacksons, and Veileds.

That is brilliant!

I don't have the best picture of it, but what I do is I get this lattice stuff and put it on 3 sides of the cages. I secure it at the top around the support beams with sturdy wire and then a couple places through the cage, I stick the lattice in more firmly with a couple thumb tacks like people do to the perches.

Then I zip tie all my vines and what not to that lattice instead of the cage. I find it puts a lot less wear on the screen itself :)
Wow! Looks great!

I second JaniP's comment!! Pure genius.

Where do you but that lattice...
I love it. It has a nice rustic look to it.:cool:

KapitalJ, They have so far when I started using epoxy around the outside ends of the branches and sides of the magnets. I have also drilled holes in the ends of the branch that will fit a smaller (1/4 inch round magnet), allowing for a little epoxy, inserting the magnets in the ends and using a larger, i.e. stronger magnets on the outside of the screens. The hardest part is having arms long enough to hold the branch up on the inside of the cage, where the door swings open and connecting the outside magnet on that side. :) If you you are setting up larger cages you may need a third hand.

Back
Top Bottom