Secondary Chameleon Cages/Containers

ajs

Avid Member
Do any of you use a second smaller cage or some other sort of container to put your cham in while you clean their cage, or for trips to the vet, etc.?

My dragon strand ledges arrived today and in the next few days I am going to reorganize my cham's enclosure so I can suspend a couple plants and have a little better vine placement for him.

This is going to take me quite a while and I would rather have my cham in a separate cage or container that he is content in. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I use a ficus tree that he clings in by a light. He doesn't seem to move much and looks hidden. It takes me twenty minutes before I'm back and I also have someone checkin on him every so often.

I have a reptibreeze that I use as a secondary/outdoor enclosure for getting natural UV, or that can be brought in as needed if I am working on his main enclosure. Previously I used a large birdage. For transport to the veterinarian I have a large critter keeper type carrier, with a bendable vine inside for him to grasp onto. I also have a larger sterilite container I put the carrier into that I can pack around the carrier with one of those freezable/microwavable beanbags to keep him warm/cool in particularly inclement weather (Where I live it can get into the 100s in a car, easily, mid summer, and it can take several minutes of blasting the AC to cool it down).

Reptibreeze enclosures frequently circulate used on craigslist for like $50-80, often with many add-ons. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the Repti-breeze (I think it's flimsy), but it's worth picking up if you can find a used one.

Small bird cages (search garage sales/thrift stores) work fine for temporary enclosures assuming there's one larger door the cham and/or your hand can reach through. Easy to add perches. Also for a trip to a vet with a towel draped over the top, but a cardboard box with a perch wedged inside works fine.

@ajs you can put him in a temp cage. You can put him in a box (he will sleep). I would not put him on a plant unless your watching the plant. This is an easy way to lose a cham in a house.

They move fast 2! I left the room for 2 mins and Lennon left the free range and climbed up behind the tv. The best was when I caught him on the floor and he did a 180 back to the free range.

Later this year in going to get a pet carrier that he can be in for when we have to evacuate for hurricanes.

Not luxury accommodations but necessary.

you can get one of these so you can at least setup a temporary cage wherever you evacuate to.
F00F801C-BCB5-43FB-9CC7-60475B7B9A3B.jpeg

you can get one of these so you can at least setup a temporary cage wherever you evacuate to. View attachment 265660

A better option to these are collapsible laundry hampers. Same idea (flexible fine mesh with a tensioned wire frame) but you can get them in larger sizes for a lot less money and they don't require being suspended from anything. You can sometimes find links for nice large ones from insect/butterfly hobbyists. Set them up and wedge a few tree branches inside. The branches provide perches and also stabilize/strengthen the hamper itself. I've used larger ones as temporary enclosures for my small aviary birds.

Back
Top Bottom