Second opinion

Juanita2014

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, about 8 months, since January (6 months)
Handling - as often as possible, but not everyday
Feeding - 3/4" Crickets, 10-15, every morning, mix of organic fruits and veggies
Supplements - Repti Calcium w/out D3 every 2 days and ReptoCal w/ D3 also every 2 days
Watering - Misting about 3-5 times a day until husbandry is wet and dripper all day. I have in the past but not in a while
Fecal Description - fecal looks normal, no test for parasites.
History - This my first Cham. as far as I know she has not had any health issues. I bought her from PetSmart in January, they told me she was about 2 months old. Since I got her I have been educating myself as much as possible on how to care for her and provide a good quality of life.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen 30x16x16
Lighting - regular 60 wt bulb for heat and 18" ReptiSun 5.0 UVB both stay on about 12hrs
Temperature - 85-90 F during the day and bout 75 F at night, it's measured by dual thermometer/ hygrometer hanging from the top of the cage.
Humidity - 30-40% at all times, measured by the same dual thermometer/hygrometer as above
Plants - yes, Hibiscus. However I removed it so the laying bin could fit
Placement - in the living room. yes to ceiling fan, AC vent and high traffic but during the week all day the AC is set to keep the house at 80F and nobody is home. The cage is set up on a shelving unit (see pic attach) I live in South Florida. not sure if this is important, but next her set up I have my male bearded dragon, they cannot see each other.

Current Problem - Should I try to get a second opinion? I took her to the vet today, they took X-rays and told me she is full of follicles that have not developed in to eggs for her to lay. I was told the only way to TRY to save her was surgery, but there's a chance that she can die and if she does not get "spayed" she will die for sure. I have a laying bin in her cage, she won't go near it. I've taken a lot out of her cage in attempt to get her to go down to the laying bin. She's still eating everyday, but not very active.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 113
Poor girl. She looks very full of eggs and if she doesn't/can't pass them it won't be good.
If the X-rays showed up they aren't developed yet, what the vet says could be true. Hopefully someone with more experienced will come on and help you.
Kath.

Did you see the xrays? We're the "follicles" round or oval? To me she looks full of eggs...but I'm not a vet.
IMHO you may be giving her too much D3.

Did you see the xrays? We're the "follicles" round or oval? To me she looks full of eggs...but I'm not a vet.
IMHO you may be giving her too much D3.
Kinyonga, thanks for the reply. I did see the X-ray, but at the time I was so overwelmed with the news that I did not noticed if the follicles were round or oval. as far as D3, I'm giving dusted crickets (10-15) twice a week, following the directions on the bottle. I scheduled the surgery for this Tuesday as the vet gave no hope that the follicles will develop or that she will lay them. He also said her bones on the x-ray should be more dense, whiter. I hope I made the right decision by letting her go thru surgery and she makes it out alive.

Back
Top Bottom