Second hand vivs and accessories

Loubell01

Hi all just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on vivs equipment and accessories that are second hand 🤔
We have just purchased a new vivarium for our chamelon its second hand but in very good condition (as this one is bigger than the one our cham currently resides in) but we have been given lots of lovely logs, plants and branches etc and I'm dubias as to whether to use them. Even though I intend to clean everything thoroughly should I not risk it? And just replace all the innards? am paranoid my cham will smell another chams scent and be stressed out by it or worse catch something from the logs or am i just being silly ? any thoughts most appreciated

Most of the wood in my enclosures and fish tanks were foraged. They were well sanitized. I know it’s different but I’m sure whatever wood laying around in the woods went through was likely worse than wood from a used enclosure. Just offering a different opinion.

I put the wood in a tub, soak it in a boiling water/vinger mixture (you could also do high dilution a water bleach soak), then leave the wood outside in the sun to burn off the bleach/vinegar.

You could also bake them. I do this to sanitize soil as well.

I’m sure whatever wood laying around in the woods went through was likely worse than wood from a used enclosure.
Not necessarily. A lot of what we find in the woods can't cross the species barrier to chameleons (unless it's from woods where they live) whereas leftovers from other chameleons or other reptiles may linger.

IMO it's a good idea to sanitize either way—if just for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom