Screened or pvc bottom preferences

Crossingtami

Avid Member
Opinions wanted on using the solid bottom or screened bottom in New dragon strand. Was thinking that the solid bottom would be easier to clean (especially after shed and poop) but screened bottom better for drainage. Thoughts anyone?!

I use the screen... My boys travel their entire enclosures even down to the bottom. I have found that it works much better for me... Also for cleaning I am able to easily lift up the screen to wet vac out the pans every other day. On deep clean days I can pull the whole screen and easily access the entire pan to clean. Plants do need to be mounted using the screen in this way.

However if you want to use the PVC then drill small holes in it so that it drains through.

I use the screen... My boys travel their entire enclosures even down to the bottom. I have found that it works much better for me... Also for cleaning I am able to easily lift up the screen to wet vac out the pans every other day. On deep clean days I can pull the whole screen and easily access the entire pan to clean. Plants do need to be mounted using the screen in this way.

However if you want to use the PVC then drill small holes in it so that it drains through.

Hey beman do you happen to have a picture of this, I am very curious on what that looks like. Was thinking of doing something similar for my panthers adult home. Thank you!

Opinions wanted on using the solid bottom or screened bottom in New dragon strand. Was thinking that the solid bottom would be easier to clean (especially after shed and poop) but screened bottom better for drainage. Thoughts anyone?!
I suppose I would be thinking about misting method & volume. If you mist only by hand, you have more control, and probably wouldn't be getting as much water on the bottom, so solid bottom might be better for you.

With an automatic mister running a few times a day, there may be enough generated to make the screen the better choice, though with heavy foliage, you may still be able to get by with the solid bottom.

In some instances, using a screen bottom can limit your plant pot placement options. To get around that, I put a piece of ceiling egg crate on the drain pan support structures and the screen on top of that. The egg crate distributes the weight of any pots, etc. so they can be placed anywhere on the enclosure bottom.

A pic of the bottom of your cage, and pan set up.
Here is the link to my enclosures so you can see how all the plants are mounted... https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

These are pics of the pan on the 2x2x4 enclosure. The Pan is slightly different then those of the larger atriums I have. But exact same concept.
So the screen just sits on top within the bottom frame of the enclosure.

I spot clean each day and then every month pull all the screens and wash them in the shower. I put in the PVC panel on the bottom when I have to pull the screens to clean them. This keeps the chams from walking in moisture.

Then I just use a wet vac to remove the water every other day.

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom