Screened enclosure... decor?

gracie88

Hi guys! I'm completely new to the site and I am super excited to announce I am getting my first veiled chameleon on Friday! He is going to be a baby (male) and I can't wait! As I was setting up his enclosure today (2'x2'x4' & screened) I realized that I couldn't really find any vines or anything that would attach to the enclosure considering it is mesh. Tomorrow, I am going to go to the store and pick up some (covered) wire to set up my tank and put my vines up, is this something you guys recommend? I am a new chameleon owner so any advice on anything really helps. Thanks so much!

Hi guys! I'm completely new to the site and I am super excited to announce I am getting my first veiled chameleon on Friday! He is going to be a baby (male) and I can't wait! As I was setting up his enclosure today (2'x2'x4' & screened) I realized that I couldn't really find any vines or anything that would attach to the enclosure considering it is mesh. Tomorrow, I am going to go to the store and pick up some (covered) wire to set up my tank and put my vines up, is this something you guys recommend? I am a new chameleon owner so any advice on anything really helps. Thanks so much!
There are a few different ways to attach things in screen enclosures. My personal favorite is Dragon Strand dragon ledges. While a bit pricey, I feel they are well worth it. (check the sponsors for the site) Another way is to create a kind of scaffolding along the sides with sturdy branches or wooden dowels, attaching them with fishing line or wire to the frame corners. The main thing is that the screening won’t hold any significant weight so whatever is done, you’ll either need to use the frame of the enclosure or create an independent support. Most of the commercial vines have suction cups on them. I just clip them off and use zip ties to secure them. You can also scavenge branches from outside and wash with soapy water and sun dry. Just avoid any from pine or other fir trees. Oak is usually safe. Live plants like Pothos, wandering Jew and philodendron are safe to use and as they grow, their vines create lots more little chameleon highways.
This is the clearest pic I have showing how I’ve used dragon ledges. I’ve got some pretty heavy drift wood and manzanita attached to them with no problem.
D7113F22-19C6-4954-88B8-E0142A24E78B.jpeg

There are a few different ways to attach things in screen enclosures. My personal favorite is Dragon Strand dragon ledges. While a bit pricey, I feel they are well worth it. (check the sponsors for the site) Another way is to create a kind of scaffolding along the sides with sturdy branches or wooden dowels, attaching them with fishing line or wire to the frame corners. The main thing is that the screening won’t hold any significant weight so whatever is done, you’ll either need to use the frame of the enclosure or create an independent support. Most of the commercial vines have suction cups on them. I just clip them off and use zip ties to secure them. You can also scavenge branches from outside and wash with soapy water and sun dry. Just avoid any from pine or other fir trees. Oak is usually safe. Live plants like Pothos, wandering Jew and philodendron are safe to use and as they grow, their vines create lots more little chameleon highways.
This is the clearest pic I have showing how I’ve used dragon ledges. I’ve got some pretty heavy drift wood and manzanita attached to them with no problem.
View attachment 265161

Thank you so so much! Today I am going to my local hardware store to pick up some wire to attach my plants to the enclosure, but I will for sure look into that!

Back
Top Bottom