Screen type

Gracie79

Hi Guys!

I’ve searched the threads but I’m overwhlemed with weeding out the “suggestions” so hoping by making my own post I can get direct replies. Having someone make Ringo a male veiled cham male aprox 6month a cage 24x24x48.
Suggestions on best type of screen to use and where to buy located in OC-California.
TIA everyone!

I used screen that you get from the hardware store ( Home depot or Loews) I was lucky as my Dad found a roll of it at a yard sale for $10.
The cage is made out of wood and the screen is staple gunned into place. The top is not all screen ( I wish it was ) as there is just a space at the top so the heat lamp can be placed on top out side of the cage.

That depends on what the frame is made of.

Ideally, if you dont free range feeders, you would want " 1/2" hardware cloth". It would need to be made of aluminum, or uv rated vinyl coated.

else if your builder is using windows screen tech, well you are stuck with normal aluminum window screen.

Just dont go cheap and get galvanised window screen, it will rust in a few years of misting.

Just use alumiunum window screen, it's like 8 bucks at Lowe's/HD, for a roll (not sure 1 roll is enough) get the charcoal, it's anodized and will hold up better.

I would be Leary of the hardware mesh, it's not only about what your keeping in, but out. Depending where you live, ect.

I tried that as a top to my large enclosure, as it will let through more UVB (block less light), well a black widow moved right in. And that hardware cloth is now replaced by screen.

And it's been spider free since. Just something to think about, IDK what kind of spider's you have, but if you have Widows that a death sentence.

As James found out, mice can also get through that 1/2 inch. There is 1/4 inch it's expensive will keep mice out but not spider's. I was considering a large outdoor cage with the 1/4inch.

Last edited:
That depends on what the frame is made of.

Ideally, if you dont free range feeders, you would want " 1/2" hardware cloth". It would need to be made of aluminum, or uv rated vinyl coated.

else if your builder is using windows screen tech, well you are stuck with normal aluminum window screen.

Just dont go cheap and get galvanised window screen, it will rust in a few years of misting.
Thank you...What would you suggest the frame be made out of? Wood, what type? Being that this will be his permanent home I’d like something to last but obvious not be super expensive. What do you think average cost for building supplies?

Just use alumiunum window screen, it's like 8 bucks at Lowe's/HD, for a roll (not sure 1 roll is enough) get the charcoal, it's anodized and will hold up better.

I would be Leary of the hardware mesh, it's not only about what your keeping in, but out. Depending where you live, ect.

I tried that as a top to my large enclosure, as it will let through more UVB (block less light), well a black widow moved right in. And that hardware cloth is now replaced by screen.

And it's been spider free since. Just something to think about, IDK what kind of spider's you have, but if you have Widows that a death sentence.

As James found out, mice can also get through that 1/2 inch. There is 1/4 inch it's expensive will keep mice out but not spider's. I was considering a large outdoor cage with the 1/4inch.
I live in Orange County-Cali. Ideally since this will be his home and inside in my daughters room... I’d like it to last obviously not being super pricy to build.

I used screen that you get from the hardware store ( Home depot or Loews) I was lucky as my Dad found a roll of it at a yard sale for $10.
The cage is made out of wood and the screen is staple gunned into place. The top is not all screen ( I wish it was ) as there is just a space at the top so the heat lamp can be placed on top out side of the cage. View attachment 239450
Nice!!! What size is your cage & what did you use to build wood wise & paint?

Thank you...What would you suggest the frame be made out of? Wood, what type? Being that this will be his permanent home I’d like something to last but obvious not be super expensive. What do you think average cost for building supplies?

Again i have no clue what yours will be made out of. You could make it entirely out of normal aluminum screen channel like the reptibreezes. You could make it out of fine wood and have it look furniture grade. You could make it entirely out of white pvc pipe.

As for "wood", i would go with poplar or Cypress(since it may be cheap and grow in your area), it holds up well, can be stained to look like anything, and is inexpensive. You dont want cedar or pine if you can avoid them, as the would have to be sealed real good to prevent chameleon respiratory problems indoors.

For paint you want anything water based that is for outdoor. Remember this thing is going to be getting hit with UVB 12 hours a day. If you use indoor stuff and "clear" zip ties, they will yellow and crack in a year or two. Same thing goes if you by plastic screen, it needs to be outdoor.

My last wood cage i used oak plywood and poplar 2x2's for the frame. But my last cage i just made out of pvc pipe, but its got a low "spousal approval factor", on the other hand the spouse didnt have to help me bring it in either since they are very light weight.

My cage is 24x24x72 so its on the higher side as i was light for space when I built it. I wish i had made it a bit wider like 30" would have been perfect!.
The wood my Dad had in this workshop so it was built out of recycled wood and we painted it using a no voc paint from HD. I am glad we did it green as it stands out in the room and looks like a jungle.
I would stay away from plywood and spend the money on some better wood options, if you paint it and use a water proof paint it should hold up well and last a long time.
I mist everyday but make sure to let it dry out fully during the day time as well.
If you are doing to use wood make sure you spend some time on thinking about drainage .
maybe build the cage around a stand up shower base. I would do this if i ever build one again.
If you have the budget the Dragon Stand cages is an option too by the time you spend all the money on materials you might be better off buying.

Back
Top Bottom