screen or 1/4 wire - what is best ?

little leaf

Avid Member
I have created a monster !! LOL - Olive ( who I used to call the vine LUMP because she never moved, will now pace her cage all day until she goes to the outdoor f/r - ) I am getting ready to build my big outdoor cage, but I would like some advice on a few things.... I can make it w/ screen or 1/4 " wire- the only issue w/ the wire is bees and other bugs can get in - but the screen I don't trust that something will not chew threw it- I kinda wanted to use the screen to keep the feeders in , but the wire is stronger - safety is my other issue - IFFF I decide to leave them out over night :eek: I want them to be safe- the cage is going to be at least 10 foot X 10' X 6' high, OR a 10' X 20' - I also had a question on electric fence near it - I KNOW the horses can " feel" it on - they will go up to it, and if it is on, they turn away- if it is off- :mad: they will stick their heads right threw and graze - like a horsey sonar - lol
If I end up letting them stay out 24/7 - I will run a few hot wires about 1' out from the base of the cage - 4" apart, 3' high - ( we have critters at night ) do you think this will bother them? or am i just best to run the whole clan in and out every morning, and every night to their F/R's ( i have 8 chams , but not all will go out and stay in this , this will be for Olive and Oliver mostly ,my Jax X ) I want to make the same thing for my panther, but only a 4' X 10'

If you follow the link on this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/experimental-enlcosures-pt-1-a-81894/ you can see how I built my outdoor enclosures. Start on pg.4 for a visual guide.

You could literally make it any size/demensions/sshape you wanted. Very durable, and cheap too.

I went with a cylinder shape, because it made securing a hatch easy.

If bees get in, shell eat them (if they are size appropriate). This is just fine. I used to feed them purposefully, and so do many others.

One of the pluses of keeping outdoors is the wild food they encounter.

Have you thought about screen with a layer of that 1/2" vinyl coated wire like doc K does?

Also while not an option, alot of southern breeders have guard geese/ducks to keep the cats away from the cages.

Im also concerned about racoons. They always got into my bug bins looking for the gut load.

Personally id just bring my babies in each night... Then you wouldnt have to worry about cold snaps like this 38 degree low this weekend here in sunny ohio.

Two nights ago there was a storm and a medium sized branch fell from my oak tree and crashed throught the top of my aluminum screen cage. It split the screen all the way across and penetrated all the way into the cage.

Luckily, there was no chameleon in there at the time or he would have likely been killed. If not, he would have escaped.

This has made me very wary of outdoor enclosures with only aluminum screening.

Have you thought about screen with a layer of that 1/2" vinyl coated wire like doc K does?

Also while not an option, alot of southern breeders have guard geese/ducks to keep the cats away from the cages.

Im also concerned about racoons. They always got into my bug bins looking for the gut load.

Personally id just bring my babies in each night... Then you wouldnt have to worry about cold snaps like this 38 degree low this weekend here in sunny ohio.

I know- the cold snap is going to stink after all week of sun :mad:

well, we dont have any cats ( pets or otherwise ) but we do have coons, and " fuzzy grass snakes " (aka MINK :eek: ) that is why the electric fence
but nothing big like a fox or dog can get in the yard - its 100 % fenced - all 4 acres ~ but yeah, I dont know if i could leave them out all night depending on what area I put them -I would worry about critters ~ and there is also what else was said about falling tree branches - we lost a whole propane take full of gas due to a huge dead limb :mad:

The best way to protect from racoons and such, is to just not sleep, and check your animals periodically...

The best way to protect from racoons and such, is to just not sleep, and check your animals periodically...

LOL - we have done that - I used to raise exotic pheasants & peacocks, when I got up one AM and saw my male Impeyan Pheasant ( $ 600 a pair !!! they were my wedding gift :) ) missing his head :mad::mad::mad: it took 3 sleepless nights - but lets say, there is one less bandit around now- the thing had chewed threw my " chew proof " net canopies - so even tho I THOUGHT I had a 100% safe enclosure , I did not :(
he looked like this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom