Schistocerca Nitens Mating

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
My Schistocerca nitens colony started to mate last night. They were mating again when I woke up today. That means eggs cases are going to be produced soon.

9gUxmy.jpg

erTtaD.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Excellent! I am trying the same with s americana. Very pretty grasshoppers, and that is coming from someone who used to have a grasshopper phobia!

Excellent! I am trying the same with s americana. Very pretty grasshoppers, and that is coming from someone who used to have a grasshopper phobia!

That is great! Congratulations. I have produced F3 generation for Schistocerca nitens and Schistocerca shoshone. Though I have not mastered Dean's trick of breeding Schistocerca as soon as the hoppers are put into captivity. I think it is a temperature issue.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That is great! Congratulations. I have produced F3 generation for Schistocerca nitens and Schistocerca shoshone. Though I have not mastered Dean's trick of breeding Schistocerca as soon as the hoppers are put into captivity. I think it is a temperature issue.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Very nice!! I hope to get some green birds eventually! Is their size comparable to the bird grasshoppers?

Schistocerca is the genus for the "Bird Grasshoppers". I keep, work with and breed two species of Bird Grasshoppers, Schistocerca shoshone and nitens. I have got one Green Bird Hopper (Scistocerca shoshone) this year, a big female. I had a slow year collecting that species in the field this year.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom