Schefflera/Umbrella Tree Problems

ricky20

Hey all,

I currently have a schefflera/umbrella tree in my enclosure. It's been there for 4 months now and in the last 2-3 weeks I've run into a problem. The bottom leaves and branches have all slowly been falling off. I am very sad because the top half of the tree looks very healthy. The bottom half is barren and almost without anywhere for my guy to crawl around.

My question is why is this happening? Is it a lighting issue (as it only receives light from above) or is it a watering issue (i water the leaves regularly for Herbert my chameleon but I have recently covered the soil with papertowel due to Herbert attempting to eat soil).

Like I've said. the top of the tree looks fantastic and has infact sprouted new branches and leaves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Here are the before/after pictures

I am very sad for my tree.

Attachments

• Tree Before.jpg
    Tree Before.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Tree After.jpg
    Tree After.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 133
Hey ricky i've had the same problem with 2 umbrella plants in my cage even though I have an arcadia uvb and grow light up top. I've started directly spraying those bottom branches and watering the pot almost daily and new leafs have started to slowly sprout from the bottom again. Also, maybe trim some of the top leaves so that more "sun" can hit those bottom branches.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I'm going to give it a shot. I really hope it doesnt die on me. I just feel bad for Herbert because he's having less and less leaves to take cover under and fewer branches to crawl around on/sleep on.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I'm going to give it a shot. I really hope it doesnt die on me. I just feel bad for Herbert because he's having less and less leaves to take cover under and fewer branches to crawl around on/sleep on.

Basically, if branches and leaves are not producing energy for the plant it "self prunes" to get rid of them...it costs the plant less of its reserves. Same reason trees in a dense forest are only really green and living at the top where they get sun. If you mount a simple fluorescent light vertically down one side of the cage it can help keep the plant bushier. A perfect way to get more use out of your "old" ReptiSuns.

Back
Top Bottom