Schedules!

Arpretty

Avid Member
Hi cham fam! Totally stressing out over here trying to get everything peachy perfect before our new baby arrives in the next month or two :ROFLMAO: was hoping to get some input on my schedules. Some of these schedules are based on what the breeder does so I’m trying to replicate their schedules to ease transition stress. I will be gradually shifting some schedules as he acclimates to our home. I’m especially curious about putting the heat lamp on a cycle - this is a personal choice.

Will be 4-5 month old male panther. Hybrid cage. I know much of this depends on checking our own temps and humidity based on our environment :) but for starters...

UVB: 8:30 am to 8:30 pm
LED/plant light: 8:30 am to 6 pm
Heat: 8 am-10 am, 2 pm-4 pm, 6 pm-7pm
Misting: 8:30 am 2 minutes, 2 pm 2 minutes, 8:20 pm 1:5 minutes
Dripper: 2-3 pm
Humidifier: 12 am to 8:30 am

Any critiques, suggestions?

Hi cham fam! Totally stressing out over here trying to get everything peachy perfect before our new baby arrives in the next month or two :ROFLMAO: was hoping to get some input on my schedules. Some of these schedules are based on what the breeder does so I’m trying to replicate their schedules to ease transition stress. I will be gradually shifting some schedules as he acclimates to our home. I’m especially curious about putting the heat lamp on a cycle - this is a personal choice.

Will be 4-5 month old male panther. Hybrid cage. I know much of this depends on checking our own temps and humidity based on our environment :) but for starters...

UVB: 8:30 am to 8:30 pm
LED/plant light: 8:30 am to 6 pm
Heat: 8 am-10 am, 2 pm-4 pm, 6 pm-7pm
Misting: 8:30 am 2 minutes, 2 pm 2 minutes, 8:20 pm 1:5 minutes
Dripper: 2-3 pm
Humidifier: 12 am to 8:30 am

Any critiques, suggestions?
Soooo my 2 cents...

UVB: 8:30 am to 8:30 pm GOOD
LED/plant light: 8:30 am to 6 pm 9-6 instead. Will be a gradual lights on and off effect.
Heat: 8 am-10 am, 2 pm-4 pm, 6 pm-7pm 10am-5pm that is it. Allows the cage to be cooler in the morning and evening when your misting.
Misting: 8:30 am 2 minutes, 2 pm 2 minutes, 8:20 pm 1:5 minutes 8:30 am 2-3 minutes, 6:30 pm 3-4 minutes
Dripper: 2-3 pm 12-2pm
Humidifier: 12 am to 8:30 am So this is run at the coolest part of the evening... so 12am-4am or 1am-5am. Not all evening long. Turning off a few hours before morning lights start kicking on so humidity starts dropping back down. Your temps need to be below 68 to use a fogger.

Soooo my 2 cents...

LED/plant light: 8:30 am to 6 pm 9-6 instead. Will be a gradual lights on and off effect.
Heat: 8 am-10 am, 2 pm-4 pm, 6 pm-7pm 10am-5pm that is it. Allows the cage to be cooler in the morning and evening when your misting.
Misting: 8:30 am 2 minutes, 2 pm 2 minutes, 8:20 pm 1:5 minutes 8:30 am 2-3 minutes, 6:30 pm 3-4 minutes
Humidifier: 12 am to 8:30 am So this is run at the coolest part of the evening... so 12am-4am or 1am-5am. Not all evening long. Turning off a few hours before morning lights start kicking on so humidity starts dropping back down. Your temps need to be below 68 to use a fogger.
Thanks for your feedback :D with the humidifier, my night time temp tends to be about 70, and our RH is super low, around 30%. It’s crazy dry here in the winter. Should I run the humidifier longer because of that or stick to your suggestion?

UVB: 8:30 am to 8:30 pm - Mine are up well before that, id turn uvb on around 6-6:30, the sun doesnt rise at 8:30. and they will be on the sleeping stick by 4-5 in the after noon
LED/plant light: 8:30 am to 6 pm It should match UVB, or greater depending on if you want to "flower". Some plants dont like 12 hour shifts
Heat: 8 am-10 am, 2 pm-4 pm, 6 pm-7pm Lights on for about 3 hours. After that its "seasonal". No need for afternoon heat if cage is still above 75 for example.
Misting: 8:30 am 2 minutes, 2 pm 2 minutes, 8:20 pm 1:5 minutes- Highly individual. Some wont drink without a 5-10min soak. I would only do 2 5-10min soaks during the day, 1 within 1 hour of lights on, and 1 a few hours before sleeping stick time. Then 1 5-10min soak an hour or 2 after lights out to boost over night humidity.
Dripper: 2-3 pm- Highly individual. Odds are not needed if they drink durring the soak. I rig up 1 nozzle to fill a dripper, so after the soak the dripper drips for a hour
Humidifier: 12 am to 8:30 am. If you are a beginner, i would not use it. If you can keep your sanitation on point, and not get pink bacteria in the head/lines, then you can fog overnight (plenty of threads on the subject) or use it during the day only if you cant keep humdity levels above 35% with just misting and the cage wrapped in a shower curtain in the winter.

Thank you both! I think 2 questions remain for me.

1 is about the humidity situation I mentioned to @Beman. Seasonal RH of ~30% during fall/winter (summer is the opposite; very humid)

2 is that I agree the lights are much later than I’d prefer. I did 7-7 with my former cham and he got up with the lights and settled for sleep around 6. Breeder does 8:30-8:30 so that’s why I’m trying to replicate that for the first week, then ease back gradually to 7-7 or 7:30-7. This sound ok??

Thank you both! I think 2 questions remain for me.

1 is about the humidity situation I mentioned to @Beman. Seasonal RH of ~30% during fall/winter (summer is the opposite; very humid)

2 is that I agree the lights are much later than I’d prefer. I did 7-7 with my former cham and he got up with the lights and settled for sleep around 6. Breeder does 8:30-8:30 so that’s why I’m trying to replicate that for the first week, then ease back gradually to 7-7 or 7:30-7. This sound ok??

Ill let beman handle the humidifier since she is the expert (and hopefully give some cleaning hints)

As for lighting timing. All i can say is the moment the light starts rising from the window, the cham will start their day and start finding a basking spot. I have had issues where they would start their day sometimes at 5:30 in the morning, and be stumbling around in the dark while i was trying to sleep, and the sun was not even up yet.

Thanks for your feedback :D with the humidifier, my night time temp tends to be about 70, and our RH is super low, around 30%. It’s crazy dry here in the winter. Should I run the humidifier longer because of that or stick to your suggestion?
Sooooo you are not going to like this but your going to need to turn your heat down at night. Below 68... Better if it is down to at least 65. You should not be fogging when it is warm. You want cool fog not warm fog. Temps have to be below 68 for this but honestly they need a further temp drop at night. They really need a 10 degree drop from the ambient day time temp. So if your ambient is running 75 that means you want it 10 degrees cooler at night.

You can run the fogger longer if you like. This is up to you. With my Veileds I always turn it off a few hours prior to lights on. I want the humidity to drop not be 90% when all their lights are on. But I also prefer to fog when the room is its very coldest and I let mine drop to 60 easy at night.

Your going to find this is trial and error. I like the govee gauges because I can see what the entire night's temp and humidity was running.

But fogger must be cleaned... They get nasty. So I use this every two weeks in the basin of the humidifier... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5MXGKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolute garbage schedule, your dripper should be on from 2-2:45 pm. 2-3pm? You're just asking for your chameleon to drown in RIs from such biblical flooding.
Dog Lol GIF

Absolute garbage schedule, your dripper should be on from 2-2:45 pm. 2-3pm? You're just asking for your chameleon to drown in RIs from such biblical flooding.

Well damn, sounds like we're screwed. Trying to avoid death like the plague but I guess future cham and I are in the path of biblical wrath 🤯

Soooo my 2 cents...

If I may add, the temperature does not have to be below 68 degrees to use a Fogger. What you are mentioning is the dew point. To achieve this, it’s best to use the Fogger in conjunction with the mister. Since water is both adhesive and cohesive in property, this will create that dew you are talking about.

If I may add, the temperature does not have to be below 68 degrees to use a Fogger. What you are mentioning is the dew point. To achieve this, it’s best to use the Fogger in conjunction with the mister. Since water is both adhesive and cohesive in property, this will create that dew you are talking about.
Hi there, welcome to the forum. Wow old thread you dug up.

Cooling down enclosures at night is very important with chameleons, most needing night time temp drops well below 65. Doing so while using a fogger is safer as it lowers the risk of a chameleon developing a respiratory infection. Them breathing in cool moist air is what we aim for when a fogger is in use at night.

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Wow old thread you dug up.

Cooling down enclosures at night is very important with chameleons, most needing night time temp drops well below 65. Doing so while using a fogger is safer as it lowers the risk of a chameleon developing a respiratory infection. Them breathing in cool moist air is what we aim for when a fogger is in use at night.
Wow yes I did not realize the date of this post.

Back
Top Bottom