Scabs after sheds

SharpShooter

Avid Member
Hi folks,

Bob has got a few little 'scabs' for want of a better description, including one on his cask. They have appeared after a patchy shed and there may be a couple more beginning on his foot but not yet scabbed like those in the picture.

I originally put it down to small pieces of stuck shed but they haven't shown any sign of improvement.

Anyone know what the cause is or if there's anything I can do to treat?

He's due for a checkup with the vet soon anyway so could bring that forward if needed.

Cheers. 20190501_182917.jpg

Sorry hope I'm wrong.
You could try siladene or triple anti biotic but if you are going to do a biopsy don't put anything on it that day.
I'm off next week so will bring his appointment forward. Just been looking around and it sounds like its not curable, only manageable.

I need to be extra careful with Rose as well. She's just had her 2nd clutch and I was going to mate them later this year.

I'm more than gutted right now.

From what I've read it's not contagious to humans but we need to be very careful of Rose and 4 other scaled babies.

It seems to be one of those things that can be carried by most without any symptoms but sometimes flares up out of the blue in others. As Bob hasn't had any contact with anything else directly and only indirectly via me to the other reptiles, he could have been carrying it from very young (if it is papiloma virus).

From the list @CamoChameleonsHuman posted, definitely only 2 things apply in this case, bad shed and some lethargy. None of the others apply at all.

I'll be calling the vet for an appointment in the morning. Once I know for sure I'll update you all. Fingers crossed.

So I did some further research. The most common cause of Papillomavirus is from breeding bites. It is possible maybe your female bit your male during mating? It also stated certain lizards can be a carrier's but show no signs or won't show signs until later. The virus is not life threatening, although looking at pictures of some veileds infected online I beg to differ. It could be that those chameleons went untreated. The bad news is there is no cure... The good news is it's treatable and should not effect his overall life fulfillment.
http://www.netvet.co.uk/lizards/viral-papilloma.htm
Please note I am just learning about this. I have no expertise and cannot confirm this websites statements or findings.

So I did some further research. The most common cause of Papillomavirus is from breeding bites. It is possible maybe your female bit your male during mating? It also stated certain lizards can be a carrier's but show no signs or won't show signs until later. The virus is not life threatening, although looking at pictures of some veileds infected online I beg to differ. It could be that those chameleons went untreated. The bad news is there is no cure... The good news is it's treatable and should not effect his overall life fulfillment.
Please note I am just learning about this. I have no expertise and cannot confirm this websites statements or findings.

Thank you for checking into this. I'm running around looking at houses so I couldn't look anything up. Appreciate the info!

No bites as they haven't been together yet. That was planned in a few months time but won't be happening now.

Some of those pics aren't good but clearly the poor chams have been left to rot!

As far as I read, whilst you can manage the symptoms, you can't get rid of the virus once it's shown itself.

Once I get a positive diagnosis, I'll do whatever is needed for him.

Back
Top Bottom