scab? burn? burise? HELLPPPP

Chameleon Bazaar

hey guys!

this is my first post and hope someone can help me out! i've been reading around to see if theres anything like what my little girl has but not sure. this is my 4 month old pather and if you look below she has some darkness on both sides on her and only on the top. i caught her picking at one and now it looks like it might be scabbing. not sure what to think and hoping it'll go away. any thoughts?

skin001.jpg

skin002.jpg

Could be a thermal burn...how far is the perch from the basking bulb?

Or could there be something sharp she got ahold of cause it looks like more of a wound than a burn but thats IMO....:eek:

Dont feel timid to use a minute amount of neosporin on those...

the light is almost a foot away from the highest perch, i didnt think it was a burn i was leaning more toward a burise maybe from falling but my concern is that its on both sides of her back.

100w is to much I believe. Try a 40 or 60 watt household bulb. Your uvb should be a reptisun 5.0 linear tube.

What are you measuring your temps with?

He most likely has UVB and/or thermal burns.

Take down the lamp.... Or raise it up higher so he can't get so close to it.

These lamps really shouldn't be used in cages or without being set up using a UVB meter.

You should get a Zoo Med linear UVB 5.0 lamp and a normal household lamp for heat.

100w bulbs are a common mistake people make with chams. I'd recommend 40-60watt maximum 75 watt for a veiled. My panthers are on 45 and 50 watts at about 5-6 inches away and it doesn't get any more than 95F right next to the bulb for them.

100watts almost always seem to cause thermal burns.

Just put some polysporin on, but the mark won't ever go away.

thanks for the info everyone! do you think i should take her to a vet and see what they say or just put some porin on it and see if it gets better?

If it was just on one side maybe an injury or infection. Because it's on both sides, almost certain it's a thermal burn. Polysporin or Silvadene cream will protect from infection and help heal. Move the light!

im going to get a new light so this hopefully won't happen again, also made an appointment to take her to the vet, i just want to make sure she doesnt have an infection

If it was just on one side maybe an injury or infection. Because it's on both sides, almost certain it's a thermal burn. Polysporin or Silvadene cream will protect from infection and help heal. Move the light!

I agree with you. My cham has a thermal burn and I am using silvadene. It was super expensive through my local vet (my normal vet is 1 hour drive away). So I went down to the local health clinic and talked to a nurse and she gave me some in sterile cup.

Back
Top Bottom