Say hello to “Otto” - my unveiling video

Agreed! My little guy's name is Godrick Merlin Scamander lol I think it's a fun name....I came very close to naming him Yoshi, but I saw a few others had named their chameleons Yoshi...and I was hoping to name him something that hadn't been used yet. Angus is a great name, but so is Otto! @CC's Baby Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be perfect! :love:(y)
I love the name you gave him! That is a fun name !

Thank you so much for sharing this video!!! It is always so exciting for us to see our little reptile babies arrive to their new homes! I can tell that he is going to be very loved! Thank you for the wonderful home that you are providing!
Thanks so much. I am a “newbie” for sure but excited and intrigued. By them and am just trying to absorb all I can to give him the best life he can have.

So after sleeping on it, I have decided to call him "Angus". He looks like an angus but his full name will be Angus Otto Young. So this morning, I could not find him!!!!! He suddenly popped up to his basking spot after the lights came on. He looked like he had a good night sleep. I know that he went right into the middle of one of the pothos ivys and laid on a leaf and went to sleep last night. So I had gotten him used to his new feeder cup yesterday as he ended up eating about 10 crickets yesterday all together which is good, he did end up drinking water off the vines for the most part and at one point he was in front of the mister and it came on and he got a good shower in the face which made him shake like a dog for a minute, but he needed that too, then he moved out of the way. He apparently likes it REALLY WARM because he kept wanting to go higher than the basking branch, so I ended up adding some vining here and there closer to the lights and that is where he ended up moving around on throughout the day. He never got too warm but he likes it at 84 on his body, even under the UVB light which he kept hanging out under as well.

I added about 12-13 feeder crickets this morning in the cup and I left for work. So he has the day to adjust and be left alone. I only wish I could mess with him during the day. So i pushed my timer back to start his "lights" at 7am and off at 7pm, so that I have some time with him in the evenings. I did handle him some yesterday after he ate, but just a little to keep him used to being handled since Matt does such a great job with handling them and getting them used to it.

However, this was my dilemna last night, yesterday our weather changed and last night it was about 28 degrees here in Texas with about 48% humidity outside. I had a very difficult time getting the humidities to come up last night, they never seemed to go past 60%. This morning when I checked, the mister had just went off before lights came on, so it was at 65%. The daytime does not seem to be an issue at all, but I have already tweaked my misting times. So I had to manually force the fogger in last night to bring it up because he was already sleeping at that point after lights out. So I adjusted misting times today and added an extra one in along with a fogger time in between to see if that will help. Hopefully by the weekend, I will have it all tweaked and working better, but it seems to change each day here in Texas and so does his habitat. We will see. I know one thing, for me, here in Texas, I have to run the mister longer than what was recommended in order to achieve it , but the cage is drying out in between. I guess the environment and location can make all the difference. Any suggestions here would be great. I do live in Texas so I am sure that once we get past "whatever you want to call our Texas Winter, if that" I will have to change again as we start getting those Texas Hot Temperatures that are so brutal and I will have to probably dial it all back a bit.

Anyway, Angus looked good this morning and he spotted his feeders going in as he was basking, so I am sure, he will most likely eat well today as I was surprised he ate as much as he did yesterday. I have some Dubia Roaches on the way too to start working into his diet.

So after sleeping on it, I have decided to call him "Angus". He looks like an angus but his full name will be Angus Otto Young. So this morning, I could not find him!!!!! He suddenly popped up to his basking spot after the lights came on. He looked like he had a good night sleep. I know that he went right into the middle of one of the pothos ivys and laid on a leaf and went to sleep last night. So I had gotten him used to his new feeder cup yesterday as he ended up eating about 10 crickets yesterday all together which is good, he did end up drinking water off the vines for the most part and at one point he was in front of the mister and it came on and he got a good shower in the face which made him shake like a dog for a minute, but he needed that too, then he moved out of the way. He apparently likes it REALLY WARM because he kept wanting to go higher than the basking branch, so I ended up adding some vining here and there closer to the lights and that is where he ended up moving around on throughout the day. He never got too warm but he likes it at 84 on his body, even under the UVB light which he kept hanging out under as well.

I added about 12-13 feeder crickets this morning in the cup and I left for work. So he has the day to adjust and be left alone. I only wish I could mess with him during the day. So i pushed my timer back to start his "lights" at 7am and off at 7pm, so that I have some time with him in the evenings. I did handle him some yesterday after he ate, but just a little to keep him used to being handled since Matt does such a great job with handling them and getting them used to it.

However, this was my dilemna last night, yesterday our weather changed and last night it was about 28 degrees here in Texas with about 48% humidity outside. I had a very difficult time getting the humidities to come up last night, they never seemed to go past 60%. This morning when I checked, the mister had just went off before lights came on, so it was at 65%. The daytime does not seem to be an issue at all, but I have already tweaked my misting times. So I had to manually force the fogger in last night to bring it up because he was already sleeping at that point after lights out. So I adjusted misting times today and added an extra one in along with a fogger time in between to see if that will help. Hopefully by the weekend, I will have it all tweaked and working better, but it seems to change each day here in Texas and so does his habitat. We will see. I know one thing, for me, here in Texas, I have to run the mister longer than what was recommended in order to achieve it , but the cage is drying out in between. I guess the environment and location can make all the difference. Any suggestions here would be great. I do live in Texas so I am sure that once we get past "whatever you want to call our Texas Winter, if that" I will have to change again as we start getting those Texas Hot Temperatures that are so brutal and I will have to probably dial it all back a bit.

Anyway, Angus looked good this morning and he spotted his feeders going in as he was basking, so I am sure, he will most likely eat well today as I was surprised he ate as much as he did yesterday. I have some Dubia Roaches on the way too to start working into his diet.
I know you'll get it nailed down. I've had to adjust my mistings and fogger accordingly as well. I live in California where humidity isn't the norm and it was a struggle at first. I think I've figured it out now though! You will too! :)(y)

I know you'll get it nailed down. I've had to adjust my mistings and fogger accordingly as well. I live in California where humidity isn't the norm and it was a struggle at first. I think I've figured it out now though! You will too! :)(y)
So what is the highest humidity you actually acheive there in CA at night?

So what is the highest humidity you actually acheive there in CA at night?
Well, I have his enclosure in the corner of the room with a shower curtain hung on the wall behind it. With his fogger, I can keep his enclosure at about 50% overnight. Before I had the fogger, I struggled to keep it at 40% overnight which was way too low. :oops:

Well, I have his enclosure in the corner of the room with a shower curtain hung on the wall behind it. With his fogger, I can keep his enclosure at about 50% overnight. Before I had the fogger, I struggled to keep it at 40% overnight which was way too low. :oops:
Yeah I feel ya on this... Mine hovers at 40% in Northern CA on the coast. Without the fogger or mister going. But with those I am struggling to get mine above 50% too. I have a dragon strand clearside on order that should help with my humidity.

Okay -- well that makes me feel better. We have the exact same setup. He is in the corner of a room with 3 sides wrapped in marine vinyl then another layer of decorative curtain. So, that is where I was at last night for his first night sleeping in but I was concerned because everything says to keep it high at night. Well, your chameleon doesn't seem to be affected by it then.

Well, I was panicking thinking this would make him ill and not do well, but apparently, I shouldn't worry so much since the two of you seem to have very healthy chameleons and have the same issues. Thanks for making me feel better.
I'm no pro by any means...Godrick is my first chameleon and I've had him about 5 1/2 weeks. I researched chameleons and husbandry for about 18 years before I felt I had the stability and acceptable resources to be able to bring a baby boy into my home. I never would have taken this on while my kids were small or while I was renting an apartment. LoL
I am really glad to have finally joined this forum. I'd been following as a guest off and on for a long time. We can help eachother!!:D(y)

Back
Top Bottom