save a chameleon

NO i wasnt but that was other peoples assumptions that i was and I understand there reasons, I accept it. It was mostly my fault because I came in here wrong not with the proper information i was giving.
99% of the people I see don't know what they are talking about in the beginning it's the medias fault and the pet trade smh

I live on disability and next year it will be social security. I have used a large chunk of my savings to set up my surprise chameleon in the way he should be kept. I didn’t buy a dragon strand cage for him, couldn’t afford it. I cut costs anywhere I could without effecting his care. I’ve even taken him to the vet to the tune of 100.00 which is actually cheap for a vet visit I know. My point is if you choose to have these chams you have to be able to support them or you can adopt them out. I can’t afford to help you, if I could I would but we all have to make our own way in this world. I pray these little ones you have find good homes that can afford them. That being said I will help you in any way I can with information but that’s all I can do.

I live on disability and next year it will be social security. I have used a large chunk of my savings to set up my surprise chameleon in the way he should be kept. I didn’t buy a dragon strand cage for him, couldn’t afford it. I cut costs anywhere I could without effecting his care. I’ve even taken him to the vet to the tune of 100.00 which is actually cheap for a vet visit I know. My point is if you choose to have these chams you have to be able to support them or you can adopt them out. I can’t afford to help you, if I could I would but we all have to make our own way in this world. I pray these little ones you have find good homes that can afford them. That being said I will help you in any way I can with information but that’s all I can do.
I apologize for the trouble I have caused. I deleted my go fund me because people hate the idea, which I completely understand and i accept it. I apologize on my behalf and shoul'vd been more considerate. again i apologize. i will be taking my account down and figure something out. i appreciate your help.

Also posting some pics of your current set up can help verify the legitimacy of the ask and allow the opportunity for people to provide some feedback and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 107
Living in Hawaii can’t you provide some living plants in their enclosures? Also a much cheaper cage to use and it works is butterfly cages like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/384302732996?hash=item597a3a56c4:g:DZ4AAOSwtRhhA-4Y they are way less expensive and will see them through til they’re old enough to be adopted out. Their uvb lights can be set on something above the cages and a live potted plant set inside for the baby to climb on. A plastic cup with a pinhole in the bottom with some water in it can provide water/ drip system. Just set it on something above the cage. I hope this helps some.

Living in Hawaii can’t you provide some living plants in their enclosures? Also a much cheaper cage to use and it works is butterfly cages like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/384302732996?hash=item597a3a56c4:g:DZ4AAOSwtRhhA-4Y they are way less expensive and will see them through til they’re old enough to be adopted out.
i am working on buying plants for them, I just do not know how to go about it. I know the proper plants to use for them. I just can not tell if they will fit or not. The only cage I can afford for my chameleons is reptile breeze large. we do not sell xl cages here.

Their uvb lights can be set on something above the cages and a live potted plant set inside for the baby to climb on. A plastic cup with a pinhole in the bottom with some water in it can provide water/ drip system. Just set it on something above the cage. I hope this helps some.
I have carpet all around my house, what would be helpful as to water situations. i know they need a drainage system but I wont be able to get the proper one for them, if that makes sense

@Jenschameleons I have no experience with either babies or Jackson’s. However, some things are basic to just about all chameleons. If you can get a larger live plant in the enclosure for them and add some branches, it will be better. Schefflera are great plants for chameleons and I think the babies (and momma) will love one. Pothos are always a great plant choice for all chameleons. There are many inexpensive options for keeping the babies right now. I like the way @jannb keeps her babies. You’ll find that here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/2-veiled-babies.184260/#post-1690646 You can look on Craig’s list or Facebook marketplace for used enclosures - just disinfect them very well.

i am working on buying plants for them, I just do not know how to go about it. I know the proper plants to use for them. I just can not tell if they will fit or not. The only cage I can afford for my chameleons is reptile breeze large. we do not sell xl cages here.
Jackson’s are small and may do well in a Lg ReptiBreeze. Take a measuring tape with you when you go look for plants…that’s what I do.
I have carpet all around my house, what would be helpful as to water situations. i know they need a drainage system but I wont be able to get the proper one for them, if that makes sense
You could use just about anything. An oil drip pan or shallow Rubbermaid type bin and then just wet vac the drainage out.

Jackson’s are small and may do well in a Lg ReptiBreeze. Take a measuring tape with you when you go look for plants…that’s what I do.

You could use just about anything. An oil drip pan or shallow Rubbermaid type bin and then just wet vac the drainage out.
what do you mean by using oil drip pan and rubber maid bin ? do you replace it with the tray that is provided ??

I find it completely inappropriate and will not agree with anyone saying otherwise... or apologize for my tone lol... Earn your own damn money or give them up! There's good members here who could have used GoFundMe's for things, but they don't ask. Honestly IMO this should be against the rules.

I'm out before all the bleeding hearts pour in to play devil's advocate 😅 peace
I agree with this and was going to type the same thing, but then I saw her or he apologize and took it down.

to the op
An idea if you can’t afford them would be to sell some of them… I hope you find your way in this hobby

Last edited:
what do you mean by using oil drip pan and rubber maid bin ? do you replace it with the tray that is provided ??
ReptiBreeze come with just a flat plastic bottom. In the past I’ve drilled some small holes in the center of it and rested it over/on a shallow plastic bin. Later I got the ReptiBreeze stands and was able to just put a bucket below the drainage holes. You don’t want the enclosure bottom sitting in water (bacterial soup). Some people modify various tables to allow for drainage. It’s all up to what your resources are and the limits of your imagination.

I agree with this and was going to type the same thing, but then I saw her or he apologize and took it down.

to the op
An idea if you can’t afford them would be to sell some of them… I hope you find your way in this hobby
I would love to sell them when they get older, But the people here in hawai'i some can be naive and clueless. I would hate to see these guys just given to someone who doesn't bother seeking information for their care and living conditions. therefore that is why I am taking care of them for the time being.

ReptiBreeze come with just a flat plastic bottom. In the past I’ve drilled some small holes in the center of it and rested it over/on a shallow plastic bin. Later I got the ReptiBreeze stands and was able to just put a bucket below the drainage holes. You don’t want the enclosure bottom sitting in water (bacterial soup). Some people modify various tables to allow for drainage. It’s all up to what your resources are and the limits of your imagination.
This is going to make it a lot easier for me instead of using a rag to soak it up dry. thank you

You can possibly build a frame of some sort for the butterfly cages to sit on and put a pan like a big plastic bin or something like that below to catch water. I would only put two chams in one cage because they will compete for food and the weaker ones won’t get enough and as they get older they stress each other out. As for the frame, you will need one that goes over the top as well for lights and stuff. I’m not sure if it would be safe to use these cages outside or not because they’re not that sturdy but good enough for inside until they are at least 4-5 months old. I’m not an expert but we can ask @JacksJill if this would be appropriate or if there’s something better she can recommend.

I would love to sell them when they get older, But the people here in hawai'i some can be naive and clueless. I would hate to see these guys just given to someone who doesn't bother seeking information for their care and living conditions. therefore that is why I am taking care of them for the time being.
Ahhh okay that’s a good reason. What about shipping I have no clue on Hawaii rules but I bet u could ship them

You can possibly build a frame of some sort for the butterfly cages to sit on and put a pan like a big plastic bin or something like that below to catch water. I would only put two chams in one cage because they will compete for food and the weaker ones won’t get enough and as they get older they stress each other out. As for the frame, you will need one that goes over the top as well for lights and stuff. I’m not sure if it would be safe to use these cages outside or not because they’re not that sturdy but good enough for inside until they are at least 4-5 months old.
okay thank you, i also have an issue with feeder my cage that they are currently in, the baby pinheads easily escape the cage and that is a issue for me any way to find an alternative ? i know there are feeder cups and i tried but my chameleons are picky and will only eat if free range.
Ahhh okay that’s a good reason. What about shipping I have no clue on Hawaii rules but I bet u could ship them
I haven't looked into it, but that is a good thing to keep in mind. thank you

Back
Top Bottom