Sanitizing Fake Plants from RI

Maci14

We had a chameleon who had a respiratory infection. I would really like to reuse the vine and fake plants in his tank for another reptile. Would this be possible? I know the RI is contagious.

The plants (silk leaves) haven't been touched in over 30 days, just sitting in our garage. I soaked them in a bleach solution last night for 20 minutes, 9 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach, rinsed well, then I let them dry overnight. I still smell slight bleach, so more rinsing would be needed if it worked. Would that have worked to get rid of anything left on the plants and are they now safe to use in a new tank with a new animal?

I also have a Exo Terra Vine, but I'm not sure if I should use a bleach solution on it. Its very porus, and if rubbed too hard, pieces fall off.

Any advice or should I just throw it all away?

Well i really beleave in using real plants i can tell the difference and i know my chameleon can tell when the water gets on them
the real flowers hold the water where he can lick the water off. If it was me i would go some where like lowes and get me
a couple of plants.They are not two much i don't think ,you would be more happy i think.Well good luck

That concentration of bleach should kill most bacteria and viruses. If you still smell bleach keep rinsing then rinse some more. Porous surfaces do not disinfect well and if it is already flaking off I would toss it. I agree that adding real plants to what you have will be beneficial. Silk plants don't make great surfaces for drinking off of but can add some extra hiding spots while the real ones grow.

They would be for a completely different species of reptile. Thank you both for your replies.

My husbnd and I have decided to throw the vine away, and just use the fake plants once sanitized well and rinsed thoroughly. Thanks, again!

Back
Top Bottom