Sanitize branches?

Uri

Avid Member
I was just wondering what everybodies opinions are on this topic. I personally sanitize mine in the oven I love that wood smell that’s left at the end but I was wondering why there are some that don’t for example bill strand from chameleon academy I’m pretty sure he said he doesn’t sanitize his are their risks or benefits of not sanitizing?

IMO, it comes down to where you live (or where the branches in question originated from).
Different areas have different (kinds of) critters/organisms that may or may not be lurking in dead branches.

If you're in the US/Canada, each state/province usually has some kind of cooperative extension that can tell you what's local and how to sterilize for it/them. Other countries may have something similar—IDK.

IMO, it comes down to where you live (or where the branches in question originated from).
Different areas have different (kinds of) critters/organisms that may or may not be lurking in dead branches.

If you're in the US/Canada, each state/province usually has some kind of cooperative extension that can tell you what's local and how to sterilize for it/them. Other countries may have something similar—IDK.

I do agree, if you live in an area with a lot of reptiles or anything concerning that could be dangerous, or transmit something dangerous to your chameleon... then sterilizing might be a good idea.

Personally, I do not like to though. At most I will rinse off and leave in the sun. If I was to sterilize, I'd use something like vinegar or steam and then just sit in the sun. Problem with baking is it kills and dries out the wood, dry/rotten wood is very attractive to pests like wood boring beetles and many others. Take it from me, I have 30+cockroach species and other inverts. Almost everything I have likes the dead wood, especially with moisture from an enclosure added.

I'd recommend cutting down fresh branches and rinsing off, spot cleaning bird poop if you see any, and sitting them out in the sun if you want to be highly cautious(I don't even do that much though lol).

I live in a cold area where the most pests I get in wood are ticks and every winter most are killed off due to the below freezing temps

I live in a cold area where the most pests I get in wood are ticks and every winter most are killed off due to the below freezing temps
Yet they come back the next year.... Eggs can survive winters.

Really... IMO a call or email to your cooperative extension is worthwhile, if just for peace of mind. ;)

Back
Top Bottom