Salmonella

javsto

I was wondering if its necessary to wash your hands after handling your chammy, any kind, like its recommended when touching other reptiles like snakes and iguanas? just curious

I was wondering if its necessary to wash your hands after handling your chammy, any kind, like its recommended when touching other reptiles like snakes and iguanas? just curious

Its a good idea after holding any reptile to wash just in case. Especially if you get anywhere near the cloaca. (aka playing with fire)

Last edited:
I personally like to wash my hands after playing with my dogs. I won't leave my chameleon rooms with sanitizing my hands. Then I wash them half the time anyway. I even sanitize between holding or touching different chameleons. You just can't be too careful. :) jmo

I will wash/sanitize before/between reptiles, but often forget to after. Maybe I just have a good immune system but I've never gotten sick.

Either way wash up for the reptiles at least. :D

I always wash or sanitize my hands after handling my chameleons or bearded dragons. I make my children do the same.

Ive had snakes and a few lizards for the last 20yrs.I didnt even know about having to wash your hands because of Salmonella until the last 8yrs or so.Ive never been sick but maybe just lucky.I did get salmonella off of some fish we ate once, not fun...I wash or use purell after handling my snakes now religiously.My son does as well.Sometimes I wash them before as well especially if Ive been eating(I got chomped once after cooking sausage and not washing)..It becomes such a habit that I dont even think about it anymore I just do it, I never even have to remind my son either, he just automatically washes his hands.
In fact we are kinda fanatical about washing hands now.I think it started when my dh got sick and had chemo and we had to think about everything being clean for almost two yrs.

Salmonella is quite rare in chameleons but washing your hands is always a good practice regardless of what you are doing. Keeping your chams and their environment clean are also very important. Pick up poop as you see it. You don't want to leave it laying around for your chams feeders to crawl in and you definitely don't want your cham crawling in it. The cleaner you keep your chams environment the better for you and your cham.

I wash my hands after handling any reptile, after patting a dog or cat or any other animal. I also wash them when going from one to the other. It not only makes sense to wash off the germs, etc. but in the case of snakes, you get rid of the mouse/prey scent and are less likely to get bitten too.

Like Syn says, you definitely want to wash before. I always wash after.

It costs nothing and could be incredibly valuable. How often do you get that deal?

Back
Top Bottom