Saliva bubbles and one eye closed

Robby

I noticed an occasional saliva build up, and it has started to bubble out the side of his mouth recently. Additionally the last day or two he has had his right eye closed and scratching even after shed. Could this be related? I do have a vet apt scheduled for 9am tomorrow in hopes to address any issues, but wondering if it’s possible the eye and saliva scenario could be linked to the same thing?
1663015157720.jpeg

Is he gapping at all? Make sure the vet checks for a respiratory infection. With the saliva and bubbles this would be a concern. If he was listless and closing both eyes I would say definitely linked since an RI can cause them to do that. But eye could be separate. Something may be stuck in the eye causing him to keep it closed.

Is he gapping at all? Make sure the vet checks for a respiratory infection. With the saliva and bubbles this would be a concern. If he was listless and closing both eyes I would say definitely linked since an RI can cause them to do that. But eye could be separate. Something may be stuck in the eye causing him to keep it closed.
I’ve heard him gasp a couple of times but not super frequent. But definitely has had excessive saliva it seems for a few weeks now. Not really gaping though. Today during the day he basically went to bed and was very dull and dark which scared me and prompted me to call the vet ASAP. Hoping the vet will find any issues he may have.

Looks like shed to me due to the shed in head and it's white around the eye

Keep us posted on how the vet visit goes!
Vet told me more outside time, and more hydration. I have a mist king but will also implement more dripping and get him in his outdoor enclosure more often. Will monitor and bring him back if needed. He agreed shed most likely was the eye issue

Vet told me more outside time, and more hydration. I have a mist king but will also implement more dripping and get him in his outdoor enclosure more often. Will monitor and bring him back if needed. He agreed shed most likely was the eye issue
Did they listen to the lungs? Is this a vet that treats reptiles and knows their care? Did they do anything to clear the eye?

Did they listen to the lungs? Is this a vet that treats reptiles and knows their care? Did they do anything to clear the eye?
I don’t believe he listened to the lungs. Checked out the inside of his mouth thoroughly as well as eyes - of course his eye was opened and looked fine today after he had been favoring it the last two days so that is at least good. He said to let him know if I doesn’t see progress over the next few weeks and to bring him back. He didn’t want to treat with antibiotics unless absolutely needed since he’s already been treated once about a year back.

I don’t believe he listened to the lungs. Checked out the inside of his mouth thoroughly as well as eyes - of course his eye was opened and looked fine today after he had been favoring it the last two days so that is at least good. He said to let him know if I doesn’t see progress over the next few weeks and to bring him back. He didn’t want to treat with antibiotics unless absolutely needed since he’s already been treated once about a year back.
Yes he is an exotic care vet who owns a bunch of retiles as well so hoping he knows his stuff!

Ok well I wish they would have given the lungs a listen. I am a bit worried about the RI potential.

We can go through your husbandry if you like. This will help me to see if anything stands out in that area that needs an adjustment. If you would like to just copy and paste the form below into your response and fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom