Salamander with a personality?

I think I have the most curious, laid back salamander ever :D My little Slimey is a yellow spotted salamander who someone found in their basement last winter. He has his own living 10 gallon terrarium with a small pond, lots of plants, dirt and drainage, and sphagnum moss where he makes his den. I will be walking around in the spare room where my herps are and I will look over and there he is looking at me through the glass like "He what's up? Whatcha doing?" :p I really like him, he also doesn't mind being held and I can put my hand in and put a bug right in front of him and he will snatch it up and drag it into his little lair. I just got my ball python a bigger tank and I put the two tanks side by side today. The two stone water dish/ponds are next to each other through the glass and I happened to walk by and he was in his pond trying to get through the glass to the other one :D It was kind of funny watching how puzzled he was that he couldn't get over there. He finally figured it out and went back to his den. Not much is known about these salamanders as they tend to be mysterious and hard to find, so I really relish this learning experience with slimey, I learn more and more each day.

Do you have a picture of your "tiger", Sabrina? - There is a lot of variation in the nominate species, and there's also been a lot of splitting of what was once Ambystoma tigrinum into several species.
@justjumpit621, I've seen a lot of personality in my tiger salamander; rather less in fire salamander and various newts. Our tiger, Sally, has much better eyesight than you'd expect, and emerges whenever she sees somebody in the room. Then she comes forward and does more and more to make herself obvious, ultimately standing on her hind legs with her front legs on the glass, in hopes of being fed.

Do you have a picture of your "tiger", Sabrina? - There is a lot of variation in the nominate species, and there's also been a lot of splitting of what was once Ambystoma tigrinum into several species.
@justjumpit621, I've seen a lot of personality in my tiger salamander; rather less in fire salamander and various newts. Our tiger, Sally, has much better eyesight than you'd expect, and emerges whenever she sees somebody in the room. Then she comes forward and does more and more to make herself obvious, ultimately standing on her hind legs with her front legs on the glass, in hopes of being fed.

haha yeah it's funny how smart they actually are.

Back
Top Bottom