Sailfins (cristatus) hatching...

Here's our first Sailfin (cristatus) hatching earlier today...the eggs were laid by a gravid import months ago. They are the biggest eggs I've had the pleasure of incubating, and the most oblong. The babies are some of the biggest I've seen, much larger than the Oustalet's babies that are also currently hatching.

I really have found this species to be strong, and even imports tend to do very well for us. Another very underrated species...

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

Very cool! Our female laid recently so far so good with the eggs. Hopefully we will have a successful hatch as well.

We would be interested in getting a femle from you when they are ready to keep the captive bred lines going

Thank you for all of the kind words everyone!!

Very cool! Our female laid recently so far so good with the eggs. Hopefully we will have a successful hatch as well.

We would be interested in getting a femle from you when they are ready to keep the captive bred lines going

Absolutely :)

Great job! May I ask what temperature you incubated at and how long?

I incubated them between 70F to 74F, in a 750sqft room with a thermostat, usually held right around 72F with minor fluctuations. Same as everything else I hatch. I never use incubators, ever, too risky and the temperature can change too quickly. They were laid on Aug. 20th 2014, so about seven months.

I incubated them between 70F to 74F, in a 750sqft room with a thermostat, usually held right around 72F with minor fluctuations. Same as everything else I hatch. I never use incubators, ever, too risky and the temperature can change too quickly. They were laid on Aug. 20th 2014, so about seven months.

Thanks for the information, congrats again. I just looked at your website. Looks like you have a nice operation. :)

Back
Top Bottom