Safe Trees for 4ft tall Enclosure?

MellowMelon

Welp, finally got together the money for a nice big cage and the mistking system for Mel! :) Any-who, does anyone know any good/safe trees for a 48”(4ft) tall enclosure? I want this enclosure to be as natural as possible so I will also be including disinfected branches from around the yard.

Ficus , schflerra hibiscus are all trainable or obtainable as plants (young ) or trained trees. Money trees as well. Tres are pricy they won’t spend room much time down. Also vines like pothos , wandering Jew, plants I’ve noticed have gone up. Look for smaller nurseries , they also are less likely to have plants with all the fertilizer in it. Here is what I have started for my outdoor sun space. It’s not done but I have 2 -3 gal hibiscus $13 each I think. 3 pothos one was $5 2 were $10 Ish I think , and a Swiss cheese vine. I need to add some dowels and some bendy vine. But in 2 months where I live this will be a mess of vine give them some sun in the evening when the direct isn’t too much and cool my wall at the same time. I still have to reinforce the roof. Towel is on the ground to cushion a fall should there have been one as he was in there. Not that I expect them to fall , but he like to jump down from about 10 inches up when I’m on my front porch ...he’s like weeee grass. So I’ll be filling in places with a quick growing draping safe ground cover plant. Still out to lunch with ideas on those. Does anyone know who and what determines a plant safe for them ?

Attachments

• 46AE3D11-3D2E-4AF2-BD83-6990E7A8BC70.jpeg
    46AE3D11-3D2E-4AF2-BD83-6990E7A8BC70.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 136
Ficus , schflerra hibiscus are all trainable or obtainable as plants (young ) or trained trees. Money trees as well. Tres are pricy they won’t spend room much time down. Also vines like pothos , wandering Jew, plants I’ve noticed have gone up. Look for smaller nurseries , they also are less likely to have plants with all the fertilizer in it. Here is what I have started for my outdoor sun space. It’s not done but I have 2 -3 gal hibiscus $13 each I think. 3 pothos one was $5 2 were $10 Ish I think , and a Swiss cheese vine. I need to add some dowels and some bendy vine. But in 2 months where I live this will be a mess of vine give them some sun in the evening when the direct isn’t too much and cool my wall at the same time. I still have to reinforce the roof. Towel is on the ground to cushion a fall should there have been one as he was in there. Not that I expect them to fall , but he like to jump down from about 10 inches up when I’m on my front porch ...he’s like weeee grass. So I’ll be filling in places with a quick growing draping safe ground cover plant. Still out to lunch with ideas on those. Does anyone know who and what determines a plant safe for them ?
Scientific studies I would imagine.

Wow that’s an awesome sized outdoor enclosure! I am sure your chameleon loves it. Thank you for the plant recommendations :)

Welp, finally got together the money for a nice big cage and the mistking system for Mel! :) Any-who, does anyone know any good/safe trees for a 48”(4ft) tall enclosure? I want this enclosure to be as natural as possible so I will also be including disinfected branches from around the yard.
These are probably my top 4 favorite plants for my chameleons (in no particular order)! Sorry that they are not all trees, but these plants are awesome in my opinion!!!

1. Ficus Benjamina
2. Schefflera
3. Parlor Palm/Neanthe Bella (Chamaedorea elegans)
4. Pothos (Marbled Queen)

Wow that’s an awesome sized outdoor enclosure! I am sure your chameleon loves it. Thank you for the plant recommendations :)
You can buy them online Walmart or Amazon. Search catio. Or outdoor cat patio... it’s about $400 depending. 3 years ago they were $700 cause I recommended it for someone. It’s worth the $400 in the precut flat hardware cloth alone. The wood is soft. Directions dont warn about the Pre drilled holes and how they should line up. So lay it out and triple check. Be prepared to make new holes Pre drilled.tiny tiny drill bit And any screws will go straight through the wood. It’s soooft and light. I’m 5’1 and built it almost no help. My husband put the roof on the second time because it’s off cut at angles , going to put two supports in it.

Last edited:
These are probably my top 4 favorite plants for my chameleons (in no particular order)! Sorry that they are not all trees, but these plants are awesome in my opinion!!!

1. Ficus Benjamina
2. Schefflera
3. Parlor Palm/Neanthe Bella (Chamaedorea elegans)
4. Pothos (Marbled Queen)
Thank you very much! Any recommendation is welcome, plant or tree alike😁

You can buy them online Walmart or Amazon. Search catio. Or outdoor cat patio... it’s about $400 depending. 3 years again they were $700 cause I recommended it for someone. It’s worth the $400 in the precut flat hardware cloth alone. The wood is soft. Directions dont warn about the Pre drilled holes and how they should line up. So lay it out and triple check. Be prepared to make new holes Pre drilled.tiny tiny drill bit And any acres will go straight through the wood. It’s soooft light. I’m 5’1 and built it almost no help. My husband put the roof on the second time because it’s off cut at angles going to put two supports in it.
Oh wow!! That’s a pretty good price for such a big enclosure/catio haha! I am glad it works so well for your cham😁

Oh wow!! That’s a pretty good price for such a big enclosure/catio haha! I am glad it works so well for your cham😁
Thanks. Don’t want to hijack op. Havent earned privileges To post yet but could not resist the opportunity to share what I found online and did. Hope it works. First day work in progress. I was a member 10 years ago , my account is unrecoverable. Haha. But it’s great to be back.

Scientific studies I would imagine.
Actually, it's been more like empirical data.
One of the questions we chameleon people ask is what is safe for Veiled chameleons to eat. They seem to be able to safely more plants than we expect, but there is no definitive list. Therefore we rely on the community to pool our collected experiences. On this summary sheet some plant profiles have a “Veiled Tested” label. These are plants that we have had reports from the community of a Veiled Chameleon taking a bite of that plant (and surviving). This does not mean the rest are not safe. This just means that I have yet to collect a positive report of ingestion.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

As far as branches, most hardwoods should be safe. Avoid softwoods (conifers) as they can contain VOCs (from sap).

Home Despot recently had mass canes & others of appropriate size for $15.

Back
Top Bottom